Gas Vs Induction

Soldato
We used to have gas, now have induction and wouldn't go back to gas. Doesn't heat the room up compared to gas, which is nice when cooking in the warmer months

Soldato
Couldn’t agree more, so much more control with gas.
Really? My induction hob can run at 200W 400W... All the way to 2kW at 200W steps. 10 equal spaced steps. In addition it can also maintain temperature, 60C, 80C etc. I find I have better control with induction than gas. I guess gas in analogy, but I like the consistency with induction, I know I only need 400W to simmer rice for example. No mistakes.

Soldato
maintaining induction temperature control is via a bluetooth probe or off the base of the pan (big control loop) ?
yes - temperatures less than 100c could be interesting for avoiding a baine marie eg chocolate melting.
with gas, albeit less efficient, you get quicker feedback on adjusting temperature of something simmering eg porridge/rice, without the heat capacity of the ceramic top too

Induction cooker review showing the perils of frying - (the induction coils are not different on a full size hob)
does look like Ikea have a reasonable product if you want to try before you buy full size.

IKEA Portable Induction Hob Cooktop (TILLREDA) Cooking Review - COOK WITH ME

Hacking the IKEA 2000 Watt Induction Stove, Measurements (Part 2 of 5)

Soldato
Yes, take a scale of 1-100. Gas can run on any increment, your induction can only run at 10, 20, 30 and so on.
For sure I get that. But in reality even 10 discrete power levels is more than I need. I tend to use 200W, 400W a lot, 1200W and 2kW. Analogue control of a gas knob doesn't give any practical benefit. What is a real benefit of the induction system is the consistency - that I can get 400W, exactly, the same, every time. I couldn't be as consistent or precise with an analogue dial.

Soldato
I went to induction, best choice ever.
Gas might be cheaper, but not all the energy goes into the pan, lots escapes around the side, so you spend longer heating up, thus spending more money.
Induction control, I have 14 settings plus a power boost. It boils water faster than a kettle, can melt chocolate directly in a pan on a low setting.
At no time have I ever needed a power setting I don't have.
I agree for a wok, it might not be great. I've seen those wok plate things you can buy, don't know if they are any good?
Overall I'd never go back, I only miss not using the gas hob to heat the kitchen up on a cold winters morning lol.
Oh and it's easy for the missus to clean, lol

Soldato
Just having a new kitchen installed at the moment and have gone with a 'range' with induction hob.

Never used one before so quite looking forward to it. Looks like we'll need some new pans though

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Induction all the way, Would never go back to gas.

The only negative is for a WOK and that's not so much of a problem.

Soldato
Induction all the way, Would never go back to gas.

The only negative is for a WOK and that's not so much of a problem.

QFT.

you can use a wok on induction but it’s not the best.

induction is SO much cleaner as well. No real limitations save for Wok. I used to think I wanted proper gas but now couldn’t go back.

Soldato
Induction > Gas > Electric & Ceramic

I've used mostly induction hobs at home but ended up on Gas for a few years when I sold my flat and moved into a house before I eventually finished renovating the downstairs and went back to induction. In my experience induction gives you better control of temperatures especially at the lower end and heats up pans of water quite a bit quicker then a gas stove does. Also induction hobs are easier to clean and maintain, it looks better and it's safer.

Soldato
Surely a wok is one of the few cookware items that doesn't need to be expensive!?

problem is the heat is very localised in the vicinity of the induction coils, so, you need a conductive wok(better than steel) if you want the same heat distribution you get with (less efficient, but more powerful) gas.

I've linked this in previous similar threads showing objective meaurements, comparing a pro induction hob versus gas,

10 cm temperature delta means the temperature difference between the center of a pan and a 10 cm circle around the center, at the moment in time when the center of the pan reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176.7 degrees Celsius).1 A lower 10 cm temperature delta score is better than a higher score. A perfect score of zero would mean that the entire 20 cm diameter circle was the same temperature. 20 cm = 7.9 inches. The flat cooking surface of most 11-inch skillets is about 8.5 inches in diameter. All testing began at room temperature.
QED - or (genuinely) follow the science

SPG

SPG

Soldato
True but with induction the thin steel of a WOK ends up warping and it ends up as balancing act. You can buy induction specific WOKS with a thicker base but the sides will never heat up like gas does for WOK, OK if your a pro Wok`r you might notice the difference but mere mortals can make do very easily.

Caporegime
Really? My induction hob can run at 200W 400W... All the way to 2kW at 200W steps. 10 equal spaced steps. In addition it can also maintain temperature, 60C, 80C etc. I find I have better control with induction than gas. I guess gas in analogy, but I like the consistency with induction, I know I only need 400W to simmer rice for example. No mistakes.

The problem is, it won't really be 200w. It will be switching on and off at 2kw.
and if 2kw is the max then you will have a hard time getting the high heat for wok cooking etc.

Soldato
True but with induction the thin steel of a WOK ends up warping and it ends up as balancing act. You can buy induction specific WOKS with a thicker base but the sides will never heat up like gas does for WOK, OK if your a pro Wok`r you might notice the difference but mere mortals can make do very easily.

I've tried various woks on induction and gave up. Traditional carbon steel are no good even with a flat bottom, the centre just gets like the surface of the sun whilst the edges stay cool, plus you'll struggle to season it properly.

I then tried a purpose made induction wok with ceramic coating, but thing was crap didn't seem to heat up much at all, plus the coating is starting to go. Another older one I had didn't work well either.

I just got an outdoor gas burner run off a gas bottle in the garage I use now.

Our kitchen will need doing at some point, your not supposed to keep gas bottles inside the house, so I think I'll put a hole in the external wall, and run a gas line through it, and install a single gas burner next to the induction hob and run it off a gas bottle outside.

Back
Top Bottom