Gas Vs Induction

Soldato
The problem is, it won't really be 200w. It will be switching on and off at 2kw.
and if 2kw is the max then you will have a hard time getting the high heat for wok cooking etc.
not sure tha's true now - leastaway if you look at video I posted of £40 ikea one, they genuinely change power, all at 50hz pwm, so it is not a big mark space ratio.

I've tried various woks on induction and gave up. Traditional carbon steel are no good even with a flat bottom, the centre just gets like the surface of the sun whilst the edges stay cool, plus you'll struggle to season it properly.
did you try one like this ... *if* you can stand to wait for it to heat upon induction
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creuset-26104360000460-Wok-Piece-Black/dp/B0000AR0QP
it's what I was using on gas - heavy so no shaking it,
I bring it up because just seen, its like, 'recommended' for induction here https://foodsguy.com/best-woks-induction-cooktop/

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I went from expensive gas hob to an average priced induction hob since moving into the house 17 years ago - gas was better. When we built our new kitchen in Jan we fitted a good AEG 5 zone induction hob - it's far superior to anything I've used previously - it even works brilliantly with a wok (but we do have a goo ProCook Elite TriPly set of pans) and I wont go back to gas now.

If you haven't tried a modern, good induction hob you really wont know how they compare to gas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The problem is, it won't really be 200w. It will be switching on and off at 2kw.
and if 2kw is the max then you will have a hard time getting the high heat for wok cooking etc.

Yeah - 2kw does seem low - mine has a max of 3.2kw. Boils water quicker than my old good gas hob (and doesn't heat the room uncomfortably in the process!).

Soldato
similar to the Miele I linked (even on these john lewis only has 2 year repair guarantee .. I want 5 for all white goods)

AEG are 10minute boosts from 2.3KW->3.2KW, presumably a cooling requirement on the induction rings/electronics, but, yes, should get a wok up to temperature.

Soldato
So not much of a problem at all then.
I thought he was referring to those gurus who do them directly on the gas flame - from various tv shows.

otoh I've just done the occasional bit of soldering on gas hob, does toast work

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Cant make chapattis or poppadoms without a gas stove, also a bunch of such things I come across on YouTube that needs a gas cooker or turning every 5 minutes in an oven.

I make them on my induction hob all the time :confused: The technique is different that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
looks like there is a chapatti technique
How to make a roti on an induction cooktop

I'd need to try one out for a wok though - comments I've seen multiple times about not heating cast iron too fast, or the pan could warp/crack are interesting,
that rather defeats the point of the boost functions ???

getting a standalone plate to try out a wok would still be my preference,
better than the one this guy did - but, maybe, pan contact area was not big enough
Cast Iron Wok on a DUXTOP 1800W Induction Cooktop

Soldato
Just used an induction hob for the first time (Thai green curry) and very pleasantly surprised

Will take a little getting used to but hopefully bit too much

IMG-20210710-184904.jpg

Associate

It is a bit of a learning curve but so far, really liking it

And the decorator is back today to paint the breast / touch up the rest of the kitchen :)

One of my unaffordable dreams is to design my own house with a big kitchen (I love cooking and doing stuff in the kitchen, but live in a flat share with a smallish kitchen at the moment). And I would love a good sized cooker like that :)

Soldato
One of my unaffordable dreams is to design my own house with a big kitchen (I love cooking and doing stuff in the kitchen, but live in a flat share with a smallish kitchen at the moment). And I would love a good sized cooker like that :)

Thanks - were very lucky and have pretty much gutted / remodelled the whole house since moving in.

The new kitchen / dining area / snug area is vast

The main kitchen diner is about 7x4m with a vaulted ceiling going up approx 5m then the snug area is c3.5x4m - absolutely love it and is already the heart of the house.

Decorator is just finishing up now then we can move the last few bits and bobs in. Light shades to go on, new dining table / chairs and a bean to cup coffee machine hopefully coming early next week :)

Soldato
I've just gone back to gas after years on induction (after moving house) - moved from a mid-range Ikea 90cm induction with multiple zones etc, to a 5 burner (4 + massive wok burner) Rangemaster Falcon (I think this is the "pro" range from Rangemaster?).

So far, I think I still prefer induction. I'm very surprised by the comments that it's quicker to make changes on gas, given the amount of retained heat etc I find gas WAY less responsive. With induction, you can make tiny adjustments and they're basically instant, and there's very little residual heat on the surface afterwards. However, this could be just different styles, as I've grown very used to not moving the pan and only adjusting using the controls, whereas gas you can move the pan around to control the heat I guess!

Back
Top Bottom