1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** GB News *** (stay on topic!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terminal_Boy, 13 Jun 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrochester

Soldato

It's true though. It might be a change that society accepts and we adopt it or it might not. But what we can be assured of is that things will change. You can't chose to live in a society that remains static as no such thing exists.

2. 200sols

Sgarrista

Next you'll be saying we have to refer to people as they/them :rolleyes:

3. a1ex2001

Capodecina

I don’t think GB news should be banned but I will avoid using companies that advertise on the Channel thus supporting it because I don’t want my money to be used to fund misinformation and hatred. Not supporting something is not the same as wanting something banned if a brand chooses to align themselves with GB News then that is their choice but they should expect customers to react accordingly, I won’t buy a football shirt with a betting company or pay day loan sponsor doesn’t mean I want football banned!

4. mrochester

Soldato

I'm not saying anything, but as a society we might collectively decide that is what happens.

5. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Keep Digging it is funny, Nigel’s nasty little
    videos may have appealed to his base but this was on the agenda long before his involvement and literally nothing has changed. We talk tough and ‘work’ with the French and the boats keep coming I believe in record numbers so far this year. What’s to talk about, giant wave machines perhaps or do you have a serious point to make about immigration?

6. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

Society changes, what is "normal" changes, what is "acceptable" changes. Not liking the changes is OK too. But it's not new and it's not "leftist" or "rightist". It's just change.

Am I happy that the word "gay" is no longer "wildly happy"?
    Am I happy that "literally" literally no longer means literally?
    Or that "sick" now means "cool"?
    Or that "N-word" is no longer acceptable? Or "honky"? (Meaning some of my favourite music can't be played in public - If there's hell below by Curtis Mayfield)
    Or that I used to smoke in an office and in restaurants?

Do I now need to ask someone how I should address them before I do?

Is it worth getting excited by? To get all hot and bothered because someone you've never heard of asks to be considered as polyamorous or asexual or polysexual and called they/them?

So much faux outrage. Get a life. Live your own.

7. deuse

Capodecina

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Plus it never seems to directly affect the people that complain about it endlessly.

I've never even met somebody that preferred they/them pronouns. If they wanted me to address them that way it wouldn't be a problem though.

9. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

10. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

OK, looked into this and it ("literally") has been used as an intensifier since at least 1769. Harrumph! I shall continue to be offended!

Or alternatively, change my opinion now that I have facts that contradict my almighty ego and move on... There, that wasn't hard, was it?

11. deuse

Capodecina

It's easy to read between the lines.

The videos have been on twitter\bbc\facebook for years.
    But she never done anything.

But now she can't stop the flow, she is trying to cover up the numbers.

12. a1ex2001

Capodecina

13. VincentHanna

Capodecina

That's what conspiracy theorists say

14. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

On this point the whole 'they / them' pronouns is mostly another American trend and isn't as popular or contested in the UK. As I believed you mentioned earlier, you don't really meet many trans people in the UK in the first place, and there are even fewer people identifying as non binary, and even fewer of those that will actually get mad over being called the wrong pronouns.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fired for using the wrong pronouns? I actually think I remember some teacher was sacked for saying 'well done girls' when one of the pupils was trans, and the teacher simply didn't know / just used normal language.

On which point if it isn't supposed to matter what gender someone identifies as, why does it matter what pronoun is used so long as it clearly isn't being used maliciously?

Piers Morgan actually used to make a great point when debating these issues, but at this point its like beating a dead horse because no one wants to listen and cancel culture just wants to continue ruining everyone's life.

15. VincentHanna

Capodecina

We have employment law protections in the UK.

In the US you can pretty much sack anybody you want for no reason.

Sometimes our laws are a bit too in favour of the employee, but I'd rather that than the awful American system.

16. deuse

Capodecina

Are you that 600 illegals came to the UK in under 3 days was false?

Mind you.
    I think we should put the lot of them in Essex

17. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

Who is this "cancel culture" you speak of? Is that its intention? Whoever it is? or is it a simple evolution of society's mores to pay more attention to how others wish to be perceived?

Seems to me that what people mean when they complain about "cancel culture" is actually "acceptance culture" and the complainers object if they get told off for being unwilling to respect other people's wishes.

18. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

19. deuse

Capodecina

:)

20. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

So teachers that say 'well done (boys and) girls' should be sacked?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.