GCSE Options - What shall I do!?

Soldato
do spanish. it opens up parts of the world that would otherwise be closed to you

GCSE's dont really matter in the long run - all you need is 5 A-C to do alevels

Soldato
OP
Saytan said:
do spanish. it opens up parts of the world that would otherwise be closed to you

GCSE's dont really matter in the long run - all you need is 5 A-C to do alevels
Can't. If i'm doing a ML its gotta be French

Associate
I wouldn't put too much thought into your options. Just concentrate on getting A*-C on your core GCSEs (Eng, Maths,Double Science and a Language) and you'll be sorted for A Levels.

You'll only have to really start to put thought into your educational choices when applying for A Levels and Degree.

Also everyone in my school did Double Science. Never made sense to me. I would have preferred to do them all seperate. Get a decent grade in Physics and Chemistry and forget about Biology lol.

I fear that Degrees will however be completely worthless by the time you reach Uni. They're certainly no way near worth as much as they should be. I'm going to have to do a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and probably a Business degree part time. Just so I have an edge over all the other Mechanical Engineers who have just done a Bachelors.

Soldato
GCSEs can matter. It's silly to generalise.

Melm0 said:
Double award isn't compulsory :confused:

Indeed, there was the option for single or double at my school. Mine was a state one though; I'm sure it may differ among grammar, church, private, public etc.

I'm also glad that at least one other person in the thread can spell compulsory right.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Crispy Pigeon said:
Indeed, there was the option for single or double at my school. Mine was a state one though; I'm sure it may differ among grammar, church, private, public etc.

I'm also glad that at least one other person in the thread can spell compulsory right.
And throw in home education and you can do what you like :) Although it would be unwise to not do GCSEs imo.

Associate
Psyk said:
I think it's pretty much only Oxbridge that will look at your GCSE grades when you apply. I don't think any other universities will really care if you have decent A-levels. Saying that I really would aim for at least 5 A*-C grades. A lot of colleges/sixth forms won't let you do A-levels with less than that. But the point still stands that it's not really important which subjects you do.

That really depends on your course. For Medicine or Law (at top unis) or something, you will need very good GCSEs. However, the OP should be fine with 5A*-C grades as you said.

As others have said, your GCSE choices are not that important however, I would go with double science just so that you have a wider choice if you change your mind about your future. I orginally had similar plans to you but have applied for an Electronic Engineering degree. It would be extremly hard for me to get a place without A Level Physics (impossible at most unis) and to do that, you usually need GCSE Double Science. Just in case it helps, I will give you some of my experiences with my GCSE I choose:

French: I hated this subject. Probably because only 3 people in my entire year group picked French so in order to have a decent class size, they dumped everyone who didn't hand in their choice forms into our French class therefore the majority of people didn't care about the subject. I also sucked at it. Somehow got a B but decided that I definatly didn't want to take it at A Level. I now regret not carrying on with it. Foreign Languages are also very useful in many careers

Business Studies: I found it very interesting. I didn't really find it that difficult either. I wouldn't say that it is particularly useful for IT or even Business though

That was the only choice we got (other than double or single Science)

Back
Top Bottom