GD may close for a while

Permabanned
Putty said:
How about a voting system for each thread (along the lines of the star system except with plus and minus) and if it goes too far into the 'red' the thread is given the boot.

I suggested something similar on this for mods and moh etc, but you will end up with people ganging up on a thread if its got two posts it will be axed instantly by a heavy mob of negative voters.

Soldato
iCraig said:
I didn't say that, I said this:

This is what I was getting at:

iCraig said:
For the record, I agree that the quality of threads is terrible, but I think the people who hate it, are in a minority.

You think the quality of the threads is terrible, yet the people complaining are in the minority and as such, GD should be left as is. If you think it's terrible, why don't you think something should be done?

-RaZ

Soldato
Spacky said:
Will this trigger a mass userbase migration?
Only the people who post exclusively in GD, but there are a few names I see all over the forum that help people in some of the hardware forums that I don't see leaving.

From a business point of view, I see where Spie is coming from, I'm sure GD uses the majority of bandwidth for these forums, and I wonder how many of these people have purchased anything from OCuk or contribute to the hardware forums.

Permabanned
Putty said:
How about a voting system for each thread (along the lines of the star system except with plus and minus) and if it goes too far into the 'red' the thread is given the boot.

We already have that. It's called the RTM button.
report.gif

If plenty of people RTM a thread, it will get a mod's attention and they will delete it. (If they agree that it's crap)

Soldato
Every GD type forum everywhere is the same. Closing it for a few days/weeks/months won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Closing it permanently however, will.

RIP GD.

Maybe i'll be able to concentrate on work now :p. Although there are still a fair few sections I still read, hmmmm maybe not

Permabanned
Tony Soprano said:
Only the people who post exclusively in GD, but there are a few names I see all over the forum that help people in some of the hardware forums that I don't see leaving.

From a business point of view, I see where Spie is coming from, I'm sure GD uses the majority of bandwidth for these forums, and I wonder how many of these people have purchased anything from OCuk or contribute to the hardware forums.

He never mentioned closing it permanently though.

Soldato
Yeah go for it. Reopen it when the school holidays are over and the kiddies are back at school :) That would solve some of the problems I think.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Tony Soprano said:

We did that thread and it turns out that most people that use GD do buy from OCUK

Soldato
dirtydog said:
He never mentioned closing it permanently though.

I bet it's crossed his mind, because if I paid for these forums and came in to read GD to see what was there, I personally would have closed it already. Spie has given GD a few chances now and there's no real long term improvement that I've seen.

Associate
How about limiting the number of posts/threads people can make in GD? If someone hits their limit regularly it might make them think twice about the rubbish they come out with.

There's only a few weeks till school starts anyway...

Soldato
I thought the cat talking thread was quite interesting. Mirrored a project I was given at university regarding language acquistion and cognitive understanding - and the differences between the two.

You have the choice of that thread and This yet you choose to label as 'spam' the one that provokes a discussion with people who actually understand the concepts. Maybe it's just too much above some heads.

Or maybe it's down to perceptions in GD of the people who make the posts. Wonder if it was someone other than iCraig - e.g. CBS or similar, then it may not have had the same reception.

Permabanned
Rosbif said:
i havent really noticed anything that is worthy of complaining of... :confused: infact i was chatting to sequoia in one thread and thought it was of a very high standard...

Chatting.. Should be done on Msn, email or any other instant messaging service.

Posting anything interesting however is very much welcomed!

Some of the Picture threads have given me a laugh though so let's not get rid of GD

Back
Top Bottom