GDPR - The first complaints are in!!

Soldato
Well that didn't take long....

Google, Facebook, WhatsApp and Instragram all face complaints because you have to opt in to data collection and targeted advertising to use the service.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44252327

To be honest, if you want to use those services for free then its reasonable to expect to be advertised to. That is how the 'free' internet works. If you don't want your data to be collected and used, don't use the service, it's that simple.

That being said you can use a fair amount of Googles services without handing over any personal information like search, YouTube etc.

Just out of interest how will the EU enforce a fine on a entity that isn't EU based nor have any EU subsidiaries or store their data within the EU? They apparently they still fall under the scope of GDPR if EU citizens use their service but as they are not in the EU any fine is completely unenforceable as they are well outside the scope of their jurisdiction. Can't they just put up their middle finger and move on instead of trying to block EU users from their services?

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ased-news-websites-eu-internet-users-la-times

Soldato
OP
Not problem really. The service is free. So. To use it you must opt in seems fine

I agree with you, its completely reasonable but apparently it's forbidden under GDPR.

The activist group says customers must agree to having their data collected, shared and used for targeted advertising, or delete their accounts.

This, the organisation suggests, falls foul of the new rules because forcing people to accept wide-ranging data collection in exchange for using a service is prohibited under GDPR.

"The GDPR explicitly allows any data processing that is strictly necessary for the service - but using the data additionally for advertisement or to sell it on needs the users' free opt-in consent," said noyb.eu in a statement.

"GDPR is very pragmatic on this point: whatever is really necessary for an app is legal without consent, the rest needs a free 'yes' or 'no' option."

Privacy advocate Max Schrems said: "Many users do not know yet that this annoying way of pushing people to consent is actually forbidden under GDPR in most cases."

How do you expect them to sustain the service without targeted advertisement to generate income?

Even TV advertisements are targeted, they know the the general profile of people that watch the program and advertise accordingly. That's why you always see toys, sweets and junk food advertised on kids channels and lots of car adverts during sports events (especially motorsport).

Non-targeted advertising is next to pointless as it is ineffective so it doesn't attract much wonga.

Soldato
I agree with you, its completely reasonable but apparently it's forbidden under GDPR.

How do you expect them to sustain the service without targeted advertisement to generate income?

Even TV advertisements are targeted, they know the the general profile of people that watch the program and advertise accordingly. That's why you always see toys, sweets and junk food advertised on kids channels and lots of car adverts during sports events (especially motorsport).

Non-targeted advertising is next to pointless as it is ineffective so it doesn't attract much wonga.

The issue is the targeting based on specific data about the individual, Facebook et al need to offer either random or generically targeted ads as an option to comply with GDPR it is perfectly reasonable. The EU are not saying no ads just no ad targeting based on the individual user without consent Facebook et al just need to find a way to make targeted ads preferable to non-targeted adds!

Associate
Just out of interest / hypothetically could I complain about every company I am contacted by and seek compensation of some kind?

Man of Honour
I guess they could charge for their service?
I'd bet most people would then opt in for the free service! :D

Maybe they should give an option of paying monthly where you don't get ads, etc. heh.

Most stuff like google at least for now it is largely in your hands how much actual information you give them and how much they are able to do things like track you - most of the features are easy to turn off and/or avoid giving data to.

Makes me laugh with some of the recent sites where you are able to download what they have on you and people are finding 100s of MB of data and getting a little upset while mine is like 38KB of mostly irrelevant data.

Soldato
This seems to be similar to that "no cookies without permission" thing a good few years back. Instead of limiting cookie use, you have an annoying pop up to hide every time you visit a website. Now we have two annoying popups, great!

G J

G J

Associate
What do you mean that Google arnt as bad? I tried to create another Youtube account and had to have a Google account, can't have a google account without them calling you/attaching the account to a phone number. :confused:

Also google has traking by location which you cant turn off and they both have ads.

Back
Top Bottom