Gear Thread - Pics

Soldato
Fender Squire Bullet/Telecaster/Strat + Boss Katana 20 would make an amazing starter combo. Less £250 all in.

Unless you specifically want to learn acoustic?
Found an encore branded strat style in my loft. Must have given the cable and other bits away but might as well use it whilst it's there. So suppose I need some light strings , cable, tuner and a really small amp along with some headphones. Amp needs to be small in power and size as I'm short of room and remember how awful I sounded last time I tried to learn.
Ideally a really budget amp so something less than 70ish£ , no idea on tuner and strings to get. Last time I think I had the pink packaged ernie ball strings.

Also emailed my local shop for lessons which are £25 for 45 minutes which is cheaper than my golf lessons so not to bad just need to wait for the Corona virus to do one

Caporegime
Found an encore branded strat style in my loft. Must have given the cable and other bits away but might as well use it whilst it's there. So suppose I need some light strings , cable, tuner and a really small amp along with some headphones. Amp needs to be small in power and size as I'm short of room and remember how awful I sounded last time I tried to learn.
Ideally a really budget amp so something less than 70ish£ , no idea on tuner and strings to get. Last time I think I had the pink packaged ernie ball strings.

Also emailed my local shop for lessons which are £25 for 45 minutes which is cheaper than my golf lessons so not to bad just need to wait for the Corona virus to do one

To save money, you can get a tuner app on your phone.

For strings, I think most people play 10-46, but Hendrix play 9's.

As for amp, hmmmm Katana Mini.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170622311661008--boss-katana-mini

Soldato
Due to my outgoings for my house which is determined to chuck one problem after another I've had to skimp out so go the following
Blackstar fly mini in the retro look (rather the normal look but this could get here sometime soon
Pack of plecs
Guitar cable
Tuner
D'Addario EXL120 Super Light Electric 9-42 strings
A peg winder
A fret cloth
Some lemon cleaning stuff for the feet board.
Came to £95inc postage

Will have to grab the ac adapter for the amp of Ebay I think.
If I actually learn how to play then I'll get a normal amp , branded guitar and bits.

Soldato
Really getting into the fender app, quite good. I'm quite restricted with free time so having short lessons I can pick up and do in 15 minutes is really good. Seems to be teaching the basics better than rocksmith was which is as expected I suppose! The mini amp is good, fits in my guitar bag and allows me to just sit wherever I can find that is remotely quiet and kid free.

Associate
20200213-184739.jpg

Getting much more use these days, learning some new techniques that I've never really bothered with. Initially played guitar so spent the majority of time playing bass with a pick, been learning proper fingerstyle and slap technique over the last couple months and it's very fun!

Caporegime
Really getting into the fender app, quite good. I'm quite restricted with free time so having short lessons I can pick up and do in 15 minutes is really good. Seems to be teaching the basics better than rocksmith was which is as expected I suppose! The mini amp is good, fits in my guitar bag and allows me to just sit wherever I can find that is remotely quiet and kid free.

Good stuff :)

I am liking the Fender app too, can watch it on my computer or phone and it's all linked as well.

Soldato
Had a bash at sweet child o mine , I know I cant play it but it took me away from proper learning for a bit , recorded it and it sounds awful but its something to look back on in a couple of weeks then months

Man of Honour
Had a bash at sweet child o mine , I know I cant play it but it took me away from proper learning for a bit , recorded it and it sounds awful but its something to look back on in a couple of weeks then months
The intro is one of those things that many outspoken beginners say is ‘easy’ to play but it’s not, at all.

It’s difficult to know what level you are but here’s a pointer. The difficulty comes from the notes you are NOT playing and avoiding string noise. You must move your fingers carefully so that (for the first four notes of the repeating intro riff) you are only playing that note ONLY with no other noise / notes.

Also, this riff is prone to sounding really wonky if the strings are out of tune relative to each other. Tune your guitar as normal and then use a tuner to see how in tune the strings are at the 12th / 14th etc frets. You may find out that one string is grossly out of tune compared to the others. The tuning doesn’t need to be perfect (and few guitars are perfectly in turn all the way up the neck) but that intro riff is one that is prone to sounding wonky for that exact reason. If that is the case, consider changing your strings. If it’s still bad, have a little research into setting up your guitar - or for peace of mind take it to a shop for a set up.

If you are a little more advanced, I can offer some comfort in that the ascending ‘intro to the widdly bit’ of the solo is something that I have never been able to get sounding ‘right’ :p

Soldato
thanks for the advise, much appreciated. i've not looked at the tuning much, just have them in tune as normal. With it being a £30 odd second hand guitar i've not had it setup and don't expect it to be great but it works which is the main thing. I've got some money set aside for a new one but don't want to touch it until i can play properly. There's so many songs i've grown up listening to that i love the guitar bits in so would like to have a go at learning at least some bits of them. Marilyn Mansons later albums have loads of good guitar bits that i'm looking forward to playing one day.

Back
Top Bottom