Gears 5 - out now

Soldato
It's much better, though playing it so close to Gears 4 there is a danger you might find it fairly samey, as the gears formula doesn't change a great deal really.

The skiff gives it some more variety and the locations are pretty varied this time round...there's less ******* robots as well.

There isn't any RTX stuff that I recall.
The robots were far too involved in 4, it's what let It down. 5 is a big improvement over 4.

The abrupt ending of 5 got to me though! I mean it was all building up and then bam!

Left waiting like halo 2 ending all over again

Soldato
Yeah, the robots got old real fast.
Horde was way better in 4 IMO. Maybe they've tweaked 5 since I played it, but I couldn't stand it after putting in probably 1000hrs+ in 4. Ok, maybe it wasn't that much, but it was a lot.

Soldato
I have to say, I've been a bit down on Gears 5 since release, but the more I play & re-play it the more I'm starting to appreciate a lot of things about it. It's clear they've put a lot of work & care into it and it shows. I just hope they have dynamic GI for the next one, it's the one graphical improvement it could benefit immensely from. I also hope they look at The Division 2 for how the character handles, it's such a joy to play that game but it feels a lot more sluggish and weighed down in Gears. I do hope they go all out with open world Gears after Kait's trilogy ends though, the Gears universe is fantastic but when you're stuck with linear campaigns it never really gets to shine.

For now I still prefer Gears 4 to 5, but we'll see for the next series' re-play if that stays the same.

Associate
I think your note about linear campaigns is interesting. I don't think they're a problem as such (Half Life nailed it, the latest Tomb Raiders are linear, despite some open world elements).

I think the real problem is linear gameplay. Hide behind cover, shoot, move, hide, shoot, move... That's the real down fall

Back
Top Bottom