Gears 5 - out now

Soldato
This game is bugged, In a room in chapter 2 and the leach swarm is stuck behind a wall? don't think i will bother getting to the end of this game. Not a big fan of gears games, I generally don't get through them as they just feel clunky.

Associate
This game is bugged, In a room in chapter 2 and the leach swarm is stuck behind a wall? don't think i will bother getting to the end of this game. Not a big fan of gears games, I generally don't get through them as they just feel clunky.

I have been playing Doom 2016 lately and Gears feels clunky as hell. Quite frustrating coming from somebody who has not played the previous 4. Different games I guess.

Caporegime
I have been playing Doom 2016 lately and Gears feels clunky as hell. Quite frustrating coming from somebody who has not played the previous 4. Different games I guess.

Gears always had that sort of clunky feel to it, especially when you were bouncing to a cover spot it's like you get glued to it almost.

Associate
Finished this last night on my i5 1050ti Predator laptop. Capped at 60fps with various settings, was shocked at how well it ran on it tbh. Settings I had stayed at 60 apart from the red desert which had a few dips. Game was good although I still prefer the 1st game tbh.

Caporegime
Running this on my sig rig. I’m getting nice solid FPS of around 70-80 on ultra during heavy action, but I am noticing some micro stuttering. It’s particularly noticeable for example, when I pan round slowly. Running latest drivers (which were actually advertised as being for Gears 5), but still getting the micro stutter.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Caporegime
Digital Foundry mentioned this, it was something to do with the overly aggressive dynamic resolution

There's the sense that PC offers the best of both worlds, with the welcome inclusion of dynamic resolution scaling, allowing native pixel count to scale in line with GPU resources. It's not quite as flawless as the console version - PC lacks some of the SDK features required to preempt a sudden spike in GPU utilisation, so there is some occasional stutter.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-gears-5-pc-analysis-a-taste-of-next-gen-today

Caporegime
Seem to hvae fixed the issue. All I did was manually raise the monitors refresh rate through display properties and switch minimum frame rate off in the settings. I think that switches off dynamic resolution. I dont think it's needed anyway when you're using decent hardware, and the freesync keeps any tearing in check. Runs lovely now.

Have to say, the game is utterly gorgeous at times. A true tech showcase. Some of the lighting in particular looks sumptuous.

Associate
Got this through the insanely good deal of £1 for the Xbox Live PC beta, I actually can't believe they're giving it away like that. Amazing value, I'll spend the £50 it costs elsewhere on keeping the Xbox live account going until I've completed all the games.

Played all the Gears before back on release on 360 and already owned Gears 4 on PC, which I though was decent, though not great, but with 5 I'm only mid way through chapter one and it's great so far, love the cheesy action and characters like Cole "Look at all dat juice" Train.

Plays great almost all ultra settings at 1440p on my old 1060 6GB, getting around 62fps average in benchmark with gsync so all smooth and beautiful graphics.

It can seem clunky but that's part of the big dumb lunk heavy armour style, you get used to it, even as an average player I've completed horde a few times and also hard modes in campaign. Definitely looking forward to completing the campaign, horde and trying out the escape modes, seems might it like be like Left4Dead.

Caporegime
OP
So do you guys think it's one of the best looking games ever? I had a quick read of the Digital Foundry article, it seems they think this game was designed with the next Xbox in mind. Is it worthy of next-gen visuals (where presumably it will be running at native 4K and maybe even 120fps on Project Scarlett).

Caporegime
Got this through the insanely good deal of £1 for the Xbox Live PC beta, I actually can't believe they're giving it away like that. Amazing value, I'll spend the £50 it costs elsewhere on keeping the Xbox live account going until I've completed all the games.

Played all the Gears before back on release on 360 and already owned Gears 4 on PC, which I though was decent, though not great, but with 5 I'm only mid way through chapter one and it's great so far, love the cheesy action and characters like Cole "Look at all dat juice" Train.

Plays great almost all ultra settings at 1440p on my old 1060 6GB, getting around 62fps average in benchmark with gsync so all smooth and beautiful graphics.

It can seem clunky but that's part of the big dumb lunk heavy armour style, you get used to it, even as an average player I've completed horde a few times and also hard modes in campaign. Definitely looking forward to completing the campaign, horde and trying out the escape modes, seems might it like be like Left4Dead.
The clunkiness gets grating at times. Particularly the cover mechanism. Sometimes I feel like I’m bloody magnetised to the scenery!

Caporegime
So do you guys think it's one of the best looking games ever? I had a quick read of the Digital Foundry article, it seems they think this game was designed with the next Xbox in mind. Is it worthy of next-gen visuals (where presumably it will be running at native 4K and maybe even 120fps on Project Scarlett).

Personally, I haven't seen much better. As I said, the lighting is amazing. I'm running it on an excellent gaming monitor, but with so so HDR and it still looks glorious. One bit in particular at the start, where you are in a helicopter flying over the city, shines bright sunlight through the window and into the chopper. It just looks stunning. You have to see it to appreciate it. All the way through, the attention to detail and effects such as fog, light, water, reflections is totally on point. I definitely think this is a glimpse into the next gen. I would be surprised if Scarlett or PS5 could significantly improve on what we're seeing here, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom