Gears 5 - out now

Caporegime
I had a couple of OOM crashes today so had a look into it. This game is a mental resource hog.

During campaign on ultra, it was using over 9GB of RAM and around 7.2GB of VRAM. It seems using the insane shadow setting might push the VRAM a bit too far on 8GB cards. Once I closed down a few programs and switched from insane to ultra, it’s been fine. It seems an 11GB card is optimal if you want to run everything at max.

One thing to note, this also started after I installed the texture pack. I don’t know if the textures use VRAM too, but it could explain the huge amount of VRAM being used.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had a couple of OOM crashes today so had a look into it. This game is a mental resource hog.

During campaign on ultra, it was using over 9GB of RAM and around 7.2GB of VRAM. It seems using the insane shadow setting might push the VRAM a bit too far on 8GB cards. Once I closed down a few programs and switched from insane to ultra, it’s been fine. It seems an 11GB card is optimal if you want to run everything at max.

One thing to note, this also started after I installed the texture pack. I don’t know if the textures use VRAM too, but it could explain the huge amount of VRAM being used.

Yes the ultra textures use more vram

Soldato
Beat horde mode last night granted on beginner difficulty as it takes awhile and only had couple hours spare.

The only boss to beat us was the matriarch again that's one tough son of a bitch.

On repeating the wave we got kestral so was easy haha

Soldato

Im using a gtx 1080 which is 8gb vram and i'm not having that issue. I'm only running at 1080P, are you at a higher resolution? I only get an average of 90fps though, thats with everything maxed (apart from motion blur, that can stay on a console:p). Maybe its an amd issue rather than a vram issue.

Caporegime
Might have found a reason for my out of memory crashes.

Can I ask if having absolutely no hard drive space left can cause games to crash? It's just crashed with an out of memory message just as it was saving to disk after reaching a checkpoint. When I was back at desktop, the windows manage storage popup appeared.

Soldato
Might have found a reason for my out of memory crashes.

Can I ask if having absolutely no hard drive space left can cause games to crash? It's just crashed with an out of memory message just as it was saving to disk after reaching a checkpoint. When I was back at desktop, the windows manage storage popup appeared.

Definitely, it can cause stutters and slowdown with normal desktop activities too. I'm assuming it's the drive where windows is installed?

Caporegime
Definitely, it can cause stutters and slowdown with normal desktop activities too. I'm assuming it's the drive where windows is installed?
Yep. The system does appear to have slowed down as well. I reckon that’s definitely what’s causing the out of memory crashes, because it’s crashing when saving checkpoints.

I need to learn to keep to the 10% rule.

Soldato
Your pagefile will not be able to expand which will also cause this. Depends on the size but I'd try and keep around 20GB at least free on a C:\ drive.

M.

Soldato
I’m gonna add a 1TB Nvme drive and clone my 500GB current drive to it. Just waiting for prices to drop slightly. Samsung’s are still around £200.

I have a "poverty" spec 250GB nvme samsung 960 evo for windows and I have a 950 pro 512GB for games, both picked up here on MM. Get in at the right times and you can get some decent deals if someone doesn't snag first.

Associate
I can't even launch the game now, Every time I click play it runs through some windows prompts and then just throws up a "Please check windows store" message. Anyone have any solutions?

Back
Top Bottom