• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Nvidia have increased the limit on their existing range in their web shop from 2 to 10 per person. Seems they are trying to shift as much stock as possible before the end of the month.

if they knocked £200 off the current RRP they would sell a lot more ;)

btw, this 300k cards which were allegedly sent back to NV... how will NV sell them? Are these literally just the chips or something, because surely aftermarket boards tend to have their own design so it is not like nvidia can put their own blower cooler on it and sell as an nvidia card? Even if their cooler fits on it, that could cheese off a buyer if, for instance, they thought they were getting an nvidia built card, but it turned out to be a palit PCB with a different cooler on it?

(sorry if i am talking crap)

Caporegime
Somehow, i think the team of engineers would have realised that in the decade plus it took to get it to production if it were the case.
They knew it but not much they can do about it because they can't make interposer much bigger.

HBM is still likely more efficient overall but I don't think it gains quite as much as one might expect. The biggest failing of HBM is you don;t really get the bandwidth advantages until you get 4 or more stacks, by which point the cost and complexity have soared well over GDDR

Permabanned
I happen to believe that HBM actually increases power consumption a bit due to its proximity to the GPU core resulting in poorer cooling and higher running temps. As we all know the hotter something runs the more power is needed to make it happen.

Do we know how warm do these HBM2 chips running at mere 950MHz get?
Usually, memory chips don't require dedicated cooling, even less so at low clocks.

Navi with next-generation memory, read HBM3..

Caporegime
Vega has 50% the memory bus width of Fiji - 2048-bit vs 4096-bit. Also, historically, AMD aren't able to optimise their chips with the first iteration of a new memory.
With GDDR5, they had RV790 sticking to full-memory speed at idle.

So, 50% less memory bandwidth, and ultimately, slower clocks on their own.

What rubbish.

Vega does't have 50%of the bandwidth of Fiji.
The Furyx had 512GB/s
Vega64 has 483.8 GB/s

You are getting confused with bus width. FuryX needed 4 stacks of HBm1 to get only 4GBM of VRAM. This added much more expensive and lowered yields. AMD were lucky in that HBM2 standard increased density allowing 2 stacks to be used, but this meant they couldn't increase bandwidth at all.

Caporegime
They knew it but not much they can do about it because they can't make interposer much bigger.

This all would have been taken into consideration when it was being designed, one of the key features of hbm is less power draw. I'm pretty sure those claims have been scrutinised since its inception in fury-x and if lower power wasn't the case an article or 2 would have been done about it by now.

Soldato
Vega with 4096-bit MI and the same 950MHz HBM2 would have ~970GB/s bandwidth.

While Vega is bandwith staved I dont think doubling the bandwidth is going to make the performance difference they need. Also the memory controllers on AMD cards suck up loads of power by them self, doubling the size of it is nto going to help.

I do miss what the R520 did back in the day a 512bit ring bus which was closer to the size of 256bit bus's of the time.

Caporegime
This all would have been taken into consideration when it was being designed, one of the key features of hbm is less power draw. I'm pretty sure those claims have been scrutinised since its inception in fury-x and if lower power wasn't the case an article or 2 would have been done about it by now.

I'm not doubting the lower power figures, I'm just given a slightly nod to Kapp that the heat of the HBM will increase the heat of the GPU die and power consumption rapidly increases with heat, offsetting a small amount of the power gains..

HBm2 will save maybe 30w but for a lot of extra expensive. For the GV100 this is OK with the bandwidth offered from 4 stacks, but i don;t think it has helped Vega much and was a bit of a disaster for Fiji.

Caporegime
I'm not doubting the lower power figures, I'm just given a slightly nod to Kapp that the heat of the HBM will increase the heat of the GPU die and power consumption rapidly increases with heat, offsetting a small amount of the power gains..

HBm2 will save maybe 30w but for a lot of extra expensive. For the GV100 this is OK with the bandwidth offered from 4 stacks, but i don;t think it has helped Vega much and was a bit of a disaster for Fiji.

Fiji was designed for hbm, they couldn't just change it at the last minute, the tech was in its infancy so they had to go with what was available.

Man of Honour
Do we know how warm do these HBM2 chips running at mere 950MHz get?
Usually, memory chips don't require dedicated cooling, even less so at low clocks.

Navi with next-generation memory, read HBM3..

Even if they generated no heat whatsoever (not going to happen) their physical presence packed around the GPU would still act as insolation making cooling more difficult.

Caporegime
Those same engineers also said that HBM would do other things that has turned out to be a myth.

Such as? It's draws less power than gddr5 , enables shorter boards to be made and the hbcc is essentially what amd were trying to do manually via drivers with Fiji. So what has it not done that it was meant to?

Also I think you're mixing up amd marketing with the people actually making the ram.

Man of Honour
Such as? It's draws less power than gddr5 , enables shorter boards to be made and the hbcc is essentially what amd were trying to do manually via drivers with Fiji. So what has it not done that it was meant to?

Also I think you're mixing up amd marketing with the people actually making the ram.

Glad you brought up the fact that shorter boards can be used.

I don't want a shorter board on a gaming card as it is next to useless.

For a gaming card (or even a professional card) a full size cooler is far more important than a worrying about a shorter PCB.

The only use I see for shorter boards is if people want to build mini systems where the compromises are acceptable.

Caporegime
Glad you brought up the fact that shorter boards can be used.

I don't want a shorter board on a gaming card as it is next to useless.

For a gaming card (or even a professional card) a full size cooler is far more important than a worrying about a shorter PCB.

The only use I see for shorter boards is if people want to build mini systems where the compromises are acceptable.

Might be useless for you but other people can have uses for it. The vega pcb could indeed have been shorter than it currently is as there's a lot of empty pcb space, again down to hbm. But they done the same thing they done with fiji and only produced one pcb variant that could be used across cards for 56,64 and FE.

Man of Honour
Might be useless for you but other people can have uses for it. The vega pcb could indeed have been shorter than it currently is as there's a lot of empty pcb space, again down to hbm. But they done the same thing they done with fiji and only produced one pcb variant that could be used across cards for 56,64 and FE.

Tell that to AMDs AIB partners who use very large coolers on the latest Vega cards.

Making something small for the sake of it is pointless.

Caporegime
Tell that to AMDs AIB partners who use very large coolers on the latest Vega cards.

Making something small for the sake of it is pointless.

How is it pointless exactly? It gave people with small cases the option of an amd card with good performance that would fit their form factor. You might find it pointless, others don't.

Zotac even jumped on the bandwagon and made a mini version of the 1080ti so obviously theres a market for things like this.

Soldato
Even if they generated no heat whatsoever (not going to happen) their physical presence packed around the GPU would still act as insolation making cooling more difficult.

Heat only moves a little sideways in a chip, having the HBM there even if the heat did move to those chips they are making contact with the cooler so would help transmit it.

They have little impact in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom