1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geil hates my dfi

Discussion in 'Memory' started by ArchAnGeL, 3 Feb 2006.

1. ArchAnGeL

Wise Guy

I just upgradeed to a x1900xt and dfi nf4 ultra-d from a x800xt-pe and k8n neo2 plat nf3.

I have had my memory for a while. It is 2x512 geil ultra platinum pc4200 3, 4, 4, 8 and has done 263 at those timings in the last system and a p4 with a ic7-g.

the dfi will run it at no porblem at 200 but crashes anywhere above 230.

I have tried vdimm up to 3.2. timings manually i.e enable, 3, 4, 8, 4 (i think that is the order) with all others on auto. I have also tried on auto all but the spd sets the ram to cas 2.5.

the board is fine if I use a divider at 260 fsb so why doesn my memory freak out?

I am new to dfi boards and the bios obviously has a lot of options, particularly for memory timings so please suggest anything that you think I may be missing.

ta.

2. Amps

Mobster

the TRC in your timeings seems quite low compared to the other timeings

try 3 4 4 13 with trfc set to 15.

Do you have all 4 power connectors plugged in ?

3. smids

Soldato

It doesn't hate it, but it requires tweaking. That is the bain and the great feature of these boards. Memory is fully customisable.

4. Dirk

Wise Guy

Are you using the shipping BIOS or have you tried updating it? Lots of people have had trouble with RAM compatability with the shipping BIOS on these boards and found an update solved the problem. (Me for one!)

If you visit the 'official' DFI forum @ www.dfi-street.com you'll find lots of custom tweaked BIOS available from the experienced users of that forum. There is a BIOS boot cd image available there with a built in flash program and a range of different BIOS to try. Otherwise an official DFI BIOS update can be found @ www.dfi.com

Hopefully this will all be of some use to you. Good luck. ;)

5. ArchAnGeL

Wise Guy

latest bios from dfi site.
    i will try the timings when i get home.

thanks. i will post results

6. ArchAnGeL

Wise Guy

all 4 power connections in but using a 20 pin in the 24 pin

7. Adama

Associate

How did you go with the new bios? I have the same problem with my Geil value. I'm running at 240x10 on a 9/10 divider.

8. ArchAnGeL

Wise Guy

no joy I'm afraid.

I found out my memory is on hynix d43 chips which have issues with the dfi's and nforce4 in general.

hope you have better luck