General use headphones for <£50

Soldato
I need some new headphones as my old ones are crackling.

I think its crazy to pay hundreds for a set of headphones so I'm looking at about £20 to £40 really.

I use them for:
a) playing my digital piano
b) plugging into my VR headset
c) plugging into my PC.

Mostly for item a) I need something that produces a reasonably nice sound, not artificially skewed towards the bass end.

I want proper headphones, not in ear plugs.

Any recommendations please?

Soldato
OP
Audio-Technica ATH-M20X

Thanks these do seem like a good product from reviews.

However having looked into things a bit more Ive decided i need a removable cable so that I can interchange between a short and long/coiled cable. A 3m fixed cable is often a snag hassle and will be a real pain to manage when its plugged into my VR headset.

Soldato
Not sure there will be that many headphones to choose from that have a detachable cable at this budget.

Superlux 688B do, but people often get hot ears when using them. AKG K240 also have a detachable cable, but are £11 over budget at £51. Maybe some other members know of some I'm not aware of..

Soldato
OP
Not sure there will be that many headphones to choose from that have a detachable cable at this budget.

Superlux 688B do, but people often get hot ears when using them. AKG K240 also have a detachable cable, but are £11 over budget at £51. Maybe some other members know of some I'm not aware of..

Thanks. The K240 are an open design which Ive never used and possibly don't want (noise pollution?) also they are 55 Ohms - is 55 Ohms a bit too much for general purpose headphone jacks to handle?

Ive tried a search but its hard to know what brands are good.

The OneOdio brand seems to have a lot of models sub £50. Are they any good?

Ive just been looking at the superlux 688B and quite like them actually. Comes with 2 different length cables as well. Im just concerned at the 56 Ohm rating - not a problem for my digital piano I wouldn't think but can a PC, phone or VR headset run that?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I do like the look of the K240 at £51 actually having looked into it a bit more. Good reviews and removable cable.

But can run of the mill music players etc run 55 Ohms? If they can then Ill go for them unless anything better.

Soldato
OP
Can I do any better than the K240 then for £51? I don't want to go higher than that but I do think removable cable is worth having.

Ive never had open back headphones before. My house is quiet so that's not a problem and I don't take them out but not sure if I'll like the sound?

I'm sure they'll sound good on the digital piano but will they sound tinny listening to normal music?

Asking if I can do 'better' is probably the wrong thing - are those the right headphones for what I want to use them for is a better question.

Soldato
If a removable cable is a must, then I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better headphone.

They are semi open, so there will be some sound leakage. Won't as much as fully open headphones though. I don't think that will be an issue, unless you are using them around others who may not appreciate being able to hear what you are listening to. Even if you were, they'd still fare better than fully open headphones.

In regard to how you will like their sound: AKG's headphones aren't ever going to satisfy those looking for what you could call, 'bassy headphones'. K240 and many others are aimed more toward studio use, so will have a more balanced sound. If you aren't looking for a headphone with over exaggerated bass, then they should do what you want.

I doubt they'd sound tinny unless you are used to headphones that are more bass orientated, but given your first post that is probably unlikely.

Soldato
OP
Thanks I bought the AKG K240 they arrived today.

Sound great with music but Im not getting much of a crisp treble sound on my digital piano. It could be my hearing though, its pretty poor at the higher frequencies. There is plenty of bass here, don't understand the reviews that said they were poor at the low end. Its treble they are missing.

They are very comfortable to wear compared to my old closed back ones.

Back
Top Bottom