Gentoo Install - make.conf

Associate
OP
No cigar I'm afraid. I already changed it accordingly. It already looks like that.

This is really frustrating!

Thanks Anyway mate.

[RB]

/edit And in my lazyness of copying and pasting the old message before boot I forgot to change it!

The last hex code is now different

Code:
Booting 'Gentoo Linux'

root (hd0,0)
 File system type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda6
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0xa00, size=0xddc30]

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fustrating? Surely you mean Fun :) .. come on man it's a good learning experience. When yo get this sorted you'll know a good fair bit of what makes Linux tick than anyone who installed a distro with a installer ;) Can you post your fdisk table? To do this type:
Code:
fdisk /dev/hda
p
q
Whatever you do, do not press w :)

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
Code:
fdisk /dev/hda
p
q

Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 523 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 + 512 bytes

Device       Boot    Start         End          Blocks        Id    System
   /dev/hda1                   1         100          803218+       83    Linux
   /dev/hda2                 101         523          3397747+       5    Extended
   /dev/hda5                 257         523          2144646       82    Linux swap
   /dev/hda6                 101         256          1253038+      83    Linux

^ That's what I get

[RB]

Permabanned
Right, when partitioning you are creating a extended partition @ hda2 instead of creating 4 primary ones, since the rest are then created from 5 onwards your menu.lst needs to be different.

If I were you, I'd start again :p but you can just change the menu.lst to:

Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0) 
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda6

BUT! This has problems, these problems are that GRUB hates extended partitions, so yep! Start again and remember ONLY CREATE PRIMARY PARTITIONS

Shak

Man of Honour
Hmm not too sure why it isn't working. Shak any ideas :D .. I'm going to have to think more on this. But one thing, nothing to do with why it's not working but your partitions are in some very odd sizes, seem you wasting massive amounts of space.

You /boot partition is about 800megs with is huge. 100megs should be plenty. You ave a 2Gig swap, and your root partition is only what 1-1.2Gigs? Unless I'm reading it wrong. Hers mine:
Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1        13    104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2            14        79    530145   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3            80      9729  77513625   83  Linux
This is a 100M /boot, 512M Swap and a remaining 70 odd Gig as /

When you fisk make sure when you want say 100 meg partion you state
Code:
+100M

Associate
OP
I finish Uni early tomorrow so I'll start again then :).

Thanks

[RB]

/edit Seems I've been using fdisk wrongly too! Thanks mate! :)

Infact - lol @ me! I was using the fdisk command thus:

Code:
100 +sizeM

To get 100 Meg instead of

Code:
+100M

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I found GRUB was ok with extended partitions. I installed Gentoo with a 100M /boot, 512M swap, 200M /tmp, 200M /var and the remainer as / .... all of the partitions were were under an extended partion. So /boot was hda5 etc (These partition choices were due to me being BSDified, kinda got used to slices. Worked ok with a stage3 install, finally had to change it because emerge dumps tempory files into /var and 200M wasn't enough :p

edit: All apart of the learning process mate, with gentoo as you know it's really easy to go wrong if you don't read every word in the install doc and in the apps your using

Last edited:
Permabanned
@Mpemba: my ideas are above, that was a previous version of GRUB and I reckon that the problem is with the newer versions.

I'll have a look into this and see what I can find :)

Mpemba, is that your optomisation line as the background to your sig?

Shak

Man of Honour
You have to guess, get it right and you get a free penguin choccy bar :) .. lol, na you'll never get it ... hmmm acutually you did ... kinda. The background is grabbed from when I was compiling mplayer ... I though hey that'll look cool as a siggy background. But yes what you can see is the optimisation lines ... indirectly :) ... good educated guess

Associate
OP
Well, third time unlucky it seems. Still no joy, same problem. I'll give it a couple of more goes I think.

This time I'm going to download one of the stage3 tar.bz2 and try that way. Which steps still need to be followed in the docs when using one of the stage 3 tar's?

Thanks

[RB]

/edit :o Sorry, just found it right at the beginning of the docs! Damn my eyes!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This time I did it as 3 primary partitions and still no joy :(. I'll try installing it on my main machine to see if it's just me doing something wrong.

Thanks Guys (I'll probably be back :) )

[RB]

/edit Never used lynx before, it's kewl!

Associate
OP
Once again it's not working!

the thing I've noticed, don't know if it's relevant, is that when I get to this stage,

Code:
# etc-update
# exit 
// This exits the chrooted shell; you can also type ^D
# cd / 
# umount /mnt/gentoo/boot
# umount /mnt/gentoo/proc
# umount /mnt/gentoo
# reboot

The 'etc-update' command runs and then says 'no confiuration files found'. Is that normal?

Thanks

[RB]

Permabanned
If immediate restarts happen when you are booting a newly compiled kernel, make sure that the CPU setting under 'Processor type and features' in your kernel configuration matches your actual hardware. Despite the '6' in the name, an AMD K6 cannot run i686 binaries and must be treated as an i586.

What processor do you have?

Shak

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Shak
What processor do you have?

It's a P1 200MHz MMX (i586 innit?).

When I read that thread it seemed as if the default setting in the kernel setup was Pentium-Pro/Celeron/Pentium-II. I know that I've not been changing that setting in the kernel setup and I assume this is the problem.

I shall post back as soon as I know.

[RB]

Back
Top Bottom