Gentoo Install - make.conf

Associate
OP
And another thing, what's this sendmail thing? It keeps popping up now and then saying 'Can't open the smtp port (25) on mail' Is it something of great importance or does it need disabling?

Thanks

[RB]

Suspended
It's a mailserver, controlled through xinetd I think.

Try looking in /etc/xinetd.d/sendmail for a disable = no line, change it to yes and then killall -HUP xinetd

Then again, Gentoo probably doesn't install xinetd for you by default does it... *mutters*

Man of Honour
Check Nozzers suggestions of xinetd. If not check if sendmail is in the default run level /etc/runlevels/default/ if it there you can remove it by:
rc-update del sendmail default.

Associate
I'm gunna reinstall Gentoo and do all the stages (last time i got all the way to the end and messed it up and had to start again so i used a stage 3 image)

Just wondering what optermisations would be recomended for an amd athalon thunderbird.

Associate
OP
Am I missing something here?

I thought it was a simple case of 'emerge fluxbox' and everything would be ok? I think X is setup right, got my mouse working, seems ok. Type startx and I get the dirty, great big xterm window. What things do I have to do to get fluxbox working?

I type fluxbox at the promt and:

Code:
 Warning: Failed to open catalog, using default messages.
BaseDisplay::BaseDisplay: connection to X server failed.

Have I missed some vital step?

Thanks

[RB]

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
Create a file in your home directory called .xinitrc and in it add the line:
Code:
exec fluxbox

Yay! Thankyou s'ah! :D

A few minor niggles left now though. It seems as if the actual desktop is bigger than the resolution. I can move to the far reaches of the desktop by moving the mouse to the edges of the screen. Is this something I've setup wrong in XF86?

Also I've created a user called rob. When I try to 'startx' logged in as rob it doesn't work is there something I have to configure to get it up and running as users other than root?

Thanks

[RB]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom