Gentoo!

Soldato
Originally posted by riven
oh dear indeed. you did keep you old config then made changes to that right?
I'm thinking maybe I didn't. I guess I'll have to boot off the live CD and try again?

Associate
Originally posted by burns
I'm thinking maybe I didn't. I guess I'll have to boot off the live CD and try again?

looks like it.

you should have keep your 1st working kernel as a backup which you can boot back too incase something like this happens

Associate
if you still cant get gnome to work, then setting up your network card would be the best idea, then if you like, me or mpemba could ssh in and see if we can figure it out.

mpemba will probably be best if you do want to go that route because ive never used ssh, but im sure its simple and the man page is pretty good.

Man of Honour
Yep. Aside from xscreensaver, I precisely followed the guide.

Thanks for the offer, I'll try to setup networking tomorrow and with luck my mind shall not fail me. I haven't the mental energy to do it this evening. Going to chill out and watch the Sign Of Four, a Sherlock Holmes mystery, and enjoy a cognac & cigar. There are simple pleasures in life that rank much higher than all this computing guff. ;)

PS: I have noticed that the guide says that the contents of /etc/X11/Sessions should be Xsession Gnome, but I get Gnome Xsession. Could them being the other way around have any meaning/impact whatsoever? I feel silly for asking, but if it did turn out to be the problem I'd feel even more silly if I hadn't mentioned it. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Deadly Ferret

Thanks for the offer, I'll try to setup networking tomorrow and with luck my mind shall not fail me. I haven't the mental energy to do it this evening. Going to chill out and watch the Sign Of Four, a Sherlock Holmes mystery, and enjoy a cognac & cigar. There are simple pleasures in life that rank much higher than all this computing guff. ;)

PS: I have noticed that the guide says that the contents of /etc/X11/Sessions should be Xsession Gnome, but I get Gnome Xsession. Could them being the other way around have any meaning/impact whatsoever? I feel silly for asking, but if it did turn out to be the problem I'd feel even more silly if I hadn't mentioned it. :D
Everyone needs a break after 2 days of cramming ;) You've done a mighty fine job so far mate :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
Everyone needs a break after 2 days of cramming ;) You've done a mighty fine job so far mate :)

Thanks. I just had one last idea, and it might actually be relevant this time. I thought about that command I couldn't run properly when logged in as a normal user, and decided to try: gnome-session. It appears to be a valid command, but it returned this line (gnome-session:5027): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: Does this give any clues? :)

Associate

no, they are 2 files, they are just getting listed in a different order.

have a nice relaxing time. i shall be up bright and early again tomorrow ;)

Associate
Thanks. I just had one last idea, and it might actually be relevant this time. I thought about that command I couldn't run properly when logged in as a normal user, and decided to try: gnome-session. It appears to be a valid command, but it returned this line (gnome-session:5027): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: Does this give any clues? :)

nah, that just means you tried to run gnome without X started. x must start to initialize the displays, hence the error (gtk being the api used by gnome)

Soldato
I can't even get the kernel to copy into the boot partition now, I do cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11 and it reruns cannot stat arch/i386/boot/bzImage: no such file or directory.

This is right after I just compiled the kernel, I don't get it. This is really stating to **** me off.

Soldato
ok, now I mount boot and root,
copy the kernel to /boot/kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11,
do cd /boot
ls -l
and the kernel isn't there, it's still yesterday's one?

Man of Honour
Originally posted by burns
ok, now I mount boot and root,
copy the kernel to /boot/kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11,
do cd /boot
ls -l
and the kernel isn't there, it's still yesterday's one?
Code:
cd /boot
mv kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11 kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11.old
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11

Soldato
cannot stat kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11 : No such file or directory
The same if I add /boot to the begining.
Should I have mounted hda1 to /boot after chrooting or somthing? It was the first thing I did once the live CD booted.

Damn, I had a typo, 3 days of linux is doing my head in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hurrah! I have it booting with no error messages now, now to setup networking and check it is actually working...
Cheers for all your help and sticking with this through my dumb mistakes:o

//edit -bash: net-setup: command not found

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom