Gentoo!

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Deadly Ferret
It doesn't appear to be on either CD. I've tried running the command with each CD in the tray, and both times it came up with messages about not being able to download it from various http locations such as Soulforge.

Is there anything more specific I need to do beyond mounting the CD then emerge gdm? :)
Is the box not on the net? If it is all you need to do is
Code:
emerge gdm

Associate
Originally posted by robmiller
What settings should I use for "horizontal sync" and "vertical sync" in the xorg config when I use a TFT?

Check your monitors manual is probably safest option - they should be written there or check manufacturers home page (better than guessing).

Associate
They don't have refresh rates, not like crt monitors but they do have vsync & hsync. I don't know enough to be able to explain this but if you set the wrong hsync & vsync you won't be able to see the display (just get a blank screen when running your X server - or end up possibly with a damaged monitor).

Associate
Personally I use
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor0"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 91.1
    VertRefresh 20 - 60
    Option "DPMS"
on all my machines and it works fine for me.

Soldato
OP
w00t! Xorg compiled, Firefox emerged and I'm home free. At the risk of a beating from Mpemba and Riven, I've opted for xfce as my WM, as it seems to be a nice balance between minimalism and the bloat of KDE :)

Now, how to get rid of these ugly aliased fonts...

Associate
Originally posted by robmiller
w00t! Xorg compiled, Firefox emerged and I'm home free. At the risk of a beating from Mpemba and Riven, I've opted for xfce as my WM, as it seems to be a nice balance between minimalism and the bloat of KDE :)

Now, how to get rid of these ugly aliased fonts...

welldone. xfce is alright, i found it a bit chunky for my liking.

Xorg and fonts

From now on, almost anything you could ask is covered on the gentoo forums somewhere. its just a case of finding if. ;)

for the link above you might need to emerge xfs and add it to you default runlevel (rc-update add xfs default)

Back
Top Bottom