Gentoo!

Associate
Originally posted by burns
Groovey, 512 it is then I'm tempted to use ReiserFS, it sounds like it's going to be faster than ext3?

yeah use ReiserFS but only for your root partition and dont forget to compile it into your kernel

Man of Honour
Originally posted by riven
does a smaller boot partiiton give any speed advantage?
Nope, but it saves me a little space :p

Originally posted by robmiller
Right, I'm going in, wish me luck :)

I've got 1gb of RAM, and so was planning on going

32mb Boot
256mb swap
rest of the disk as /root

Sound ok?
Sounds good :)

Originally posted by Deadly Ferret
I can't remember whether it was linux.org or gentoo.org, but I read earlier today that the swap partition should be equal to twice the physical memory. :)
Usually yes, but there gets a point where it'll just be a waste of space. With 1G of ram the swap shouldn't even be used. I used 512MB RAM and I've never seen it use the swap before. 512MB should be more that enough.

Man of Honour
Groovey, 512 it is then I'm tempted to use ReiserFS, it sounds like it's going to be faster than ext3?
It is faster, reiserfs is the fastest filesystem for small files like more of use have. XFS is faster if you move around very large files. I used Reiser4 for / and ext2 for /boot.

Associate
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
It is faster, reiserfs is the fastest filesystem for small files like more of use have. XFS is faster if you move around very large files. I used Reiser4 for / and ext2 for /boot.

snap :D

Cool, I'll use ext3 on the others then.

only for boot, dont forget /swap needs to be linux swap format

Man of Honour
I'm going with one (partition) for boot, one for root, one for home, and one for swap. I read that those are normal and in addition, a lot of people have one for usr, but I'm the only person who will be using the computer it's installed on so that seems redundant to me.

Does it matter which order on the disk I put those? :)

Associate

4!

you should only need to use 3

/boot
/swap
/

the last is know as root, users are kept under /home/user

best order with a lot of ram is probably

/boot
/
/swap

with less ram maybe
/boot
/swap
/

mpemba?

Man of Honour
If you're the only person using the machine I would say it's redundant it'll just just use up space partitioning. Obviously if you're installing a multiuser machine the something like /, /boot, /tmp, /var, /home would be good.

It doesn't matter what order you create these partitions but you'll have to keep in mind these when you install. You won't be able to follow the handbook word for word.

Soldato
Yay, do I get a medal for being the first to screw up? I've formated my swap partition as ext3, didn't see riven's post on time:(. I did mkswap on it, but swapon says the device is busy:confused:. Damn.

Man of Honour
Thanks. Well what I was thinking was, and this is on a 40GB disk in a machine which will be used by me alone, to keep myself occupied whilst burning or doing other CPU intensive things on my main machine, this:

Boot - 32MB
Swap - 512MB
Root - 4048MB
Home - rest of disk

Reason for seperate home being so that files are kept seperate, so hopefully if I ever mess up the installation, I could save the files before reinstalling.

Sound okay? :)

Man of Honour
Yay, do I get a medal for being the first to screw up? I've formated my swap partition as ext3, didn't see riven's post on time:(. I did mkswap on it, but swapon says the device is busy:confused:. Damn.
Try typing
Code:
swapoff /dev/hda2
mkswap /dev/hda2
swapon /dev/hda2
replace /dev/hda2 with whatever your swap parition is.

Thanks. Well what I was thinking was, and this is on a 40GB disk in a machine which will be used by me alone, to keep myself occupied whilst burning or doing other CPU intensive things on my main machine, this:

Boot - 32MB
Swap - 512MB
Root - 4048MB
Home - rest of disk

Reason for seperate home being so that files are kept seperate, so hopefully if I ever mess up the installation, I could save the files before reinstalling.

Sounds like a good plan :)

Permabanned

Boot - 32MB
Swap - 512MB
Root - 4048MB
Home - rest of disk

I would make your root partition at least 10GB - I am already using 5.3GB. It needs to be that big because you wont have a seperate /usr partition to store programs. I would only make it that small if you know that you are only going to install a few programs and a lightweight gui. If you want to install gnome or kde, make it bigger than that, especially if you install games (enemy territory or americas army are good linux games) or something like openoffice.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by dav1d
I would make your root partition at least 10GB - I am already using 5.3GB. It needs to be that big because you wont have a seperate /usr partition to store programs. I would only make it that small if you know that you are only going to install a few programs and a lightweight gui. If you want to install gnome or kde, make it bigger than that, especially if you install games (enemy territory or americas army are good linux games) or something like openoffice.
Thats true, didn't spot that :o Otherwise partition off /usr. Thats the standard metohd for Freebsd who's philosophy is to use / as little as possible.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by robmiller
Made my first boo-boo; I untarred the stage into /var somehow :p deleting what I extracted then untarring into / :)
How'd you manage that? /var is in the tarball, you don't need to create that directory unless you've decide to have a seperate partition for /var

Man of Honour
Well theres two / 's ;) one / of the CD and /mnt/gentoo/ which will be the / of your gentoo distro. Once created the partitions and format them you need to mount them into /mnt/gentoo.

The stage tarball should be put into /mnt/gentoo and untared in there.

Soldato
Hmm, well I felt lazy so just rebooted, set my network up again and now have partitions for /boot, / and swap. The swap appears to be working ok as I didn't get any errors. Stage 1 is dowloading as we speak:).

Back
Top Bottom