Gentoo!

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
Well theres two / 's ;) one / of the CD and /mnt/gentoo/ which will be the / of your gentoo distro. Once created the partitions and format them you need to mount them into /mnt/gentoo.

The stage tarball should be put into /mnt/gentoo and untared in there.

Nooooow you tell me :p

Righto, doing that.

Soldato
Just had a though, is a PII400 an x86 architecture? I'm assuming it is, or should I be downloading the i686 one?

Man of Honour
Originally posted by burns
Just had a though, is a PII400 an x86 architecture? I'm assuming it is, or should I be downloading the i686 one?
Are you installing from stage1, stage2 or stage3?

edit: proberbly x86 either way

Last edited:
Associate
im back! i ahd to go next door for a bit. doesnt sound like its going too bad.

having home as a seperate partition acctually sounds like a really good idea. i should remember that. But root needs to be big too, because thats where most of the software and source goes.

its x86 architecture, but the i numbers are to do with the processors age more than architecture i think.

architectures are like x86 = regular pc, then you have ppc. amd64 and others which are for different stuff like power pcs and macs?

Man of Honour
Originally posted by robmiller
Right, what cflags are adviseable?

I've currently got

-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe

Anything I should change?
-O3 produces faster binaries, -Os strips binaries for size. Smaller binaries load faster. I use -Os. Up to you really, theres a massive thread on the gentoo forums on this.

Originally posted by burns
stage1, I'm going with x86 then.
If you're going for stage1 the x86 tarball is your only option ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by riven
im back! i ahd to go next door for a bit. doesnt sound like its going too bad.

having home as a seperate partition acctually sounds like a really good idea. i should remember that. But root needs to be big too, because thats where most of the software and source goes.

its x86 architecture, but the i numbers are to do with the processors age more than architecture i think.

architectures are like x86 = regular pc, then you have ppc. amd64 and others which are for different stuff like power pcs and macs?
Pentium II's are i586 I believe (I could be wrong), i686 only started with Penitum III I think. 'dmesg' will problerbly tell you.

Associate
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
-O3 produces faster binaries, -Os strips binaries for size. Smaller binaries load faster. I use -Os. Up to you really, theres a massive thread on the gentoo forums on this.

Im sure i read somewhere that -O2 is the best for XP processors. cant remember why though, and its the default from gentoo.

ive never tried the others though.

Man of Honour
Im sure i read somewhere that -O2 is the best for XP processors. cant remember why though, and its the default from gentoo.

ive never tried the others though.
-Os is the same as -O2 but without any optimisations that can increase binary size.

Associate
thats cool then

wouldnt that make -O2 the best choice for -march=athlon-xp then? because otherwise its going to compile the binary without the extras for the xp instruction set?

im probably wrong though

Man of Honour
thats cool then

wouldnt that make -O2 the best choice for -march=athlon-xp then? because otherwise its going to compile the binary without the extras for the xp instruction set?

im probably wrong though
Theres a big discussion on this on the gentoo forums. Either way were not talking massive differences here on modern machines.

Back
Top Bottom