Gentoo!

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
No the portage tree is held in /usr/portage and when you update portage it just updates all the ebullds in /usr/portage. When you install something via emerge the source files are held in /usr/portage/distfiles. During the install process the source files will be unpacked, patched etc in /var/tmp/portage.

Ah. What happens after emerging? Are the archives deleted or do they stick around?

Associate
Originally posted by robmiller
I went for the wuss' way out and went from stage 2 :$

nah stage 2 is good. ive only ever done stage 2, because i can use the athlon xp live cd for my athlon xp processor so the flags are set up pretty much the way i would configure it anyway.

and i guess its the same for you

Man of Honour
They stick around, normally after installing gentoo I delete the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles. I'm rarely going to download them again, and if I need to rebuild a package it will be for the reason of an update and so the source files will be different anyway.

Associate
Ah. What happens after emerging? Are the archives deleted or do they stick around?

lol, emerging is how you install most software so you need the archive there! you periodically update it of course.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by riven
lol, emerging is how you install most software so you need the archive there! you periodically update it of course.

No, I meant the archives as in the file archives, the gunzipped whatsits :) I figured, like Mpemba, that it'd be sort of a waste of hard drive space to have them lying around. I'll just delete them after I finish installing.

Associate
No, I meant the archives as in the file archives, the gunzipped whatsits :) I figured, like Mpemba, that it'd be sort of a waste of hard drive space to have them lying around. I'll just delete them after I finish installing.

ohhh! sorry. i would leave them in there for the first few days incase something borks.

Soldato
OP
Okie doke, will do :)

I seem to remember seeing a script on the Gentoo forums that scans for cruft such as files that are no longer dependencies and whatnot so that you know what to delete, so I'll probably give that a whirl after I get everything set up.

Man of Honour
Pah! I normally zap then after there installed. Whats the largest package you download? 30 odd megs for GCC? Doesn't take too long on broadband :)

Anyway Rob, is the emerge resuming nicely?

Associate
You installed it on dial up? :eek:

64K ISDN, but its only a tad faster.

i just let most of it emerge overnight. infact i think the 1st night i just left it to sync, then emerged the bare essentials the next night.

Soldato
OP
Well it was going fine, but now I'm getting another time out getting openssl, ftp.win.**.jp is being annoying.

Is there a way to.. "pause" it whilst I add another mirror?

Man of Honour
Well it was going fine, but now I'm getting another time out getting openssl, ftp.win.**.jp is being annoying.

Is there a way to.. "pause" it whilst I add another mirror?
No way to pause it unfortunately. You can try adding a # to the beginning of of the GENTOO_MIRRORS= in make.conf. I think it will then try to download everything from ibiblio.org.

It must be something funny today with broken mirrors.

Soldato
OP
No way to pause it unfortunately. You can try adding a # to the beginning of of the GENTOO_MIRRORS= in make.conf. I think it will then try to download everything from ibiblio.org.

It must be something funny today with broken mirrors.

No need - it timed out 5 times and is now getting it from a different mirror, which is great :) Thanks anyway :D

Man of Honour
Associate
No need - it timed out 5 times and is now getting it from a different mirror, which is great :) Thanks anyway :D

but it will use the same mirror order for the next package, so it will be faster to comment it out

Back
Top Bottom