Get pi3 talking to OMV to allow pi3 to download to shared folder

Soldato
I have a Pi3B which I have setup with Pihole and CUPS and as it's generally fairly idle I'd like to be able to use it as a downloader. I have qbittorrent (headless with webGUI) installed on the Pi and can access that fine.

The difficulty I'm having is that I want the Pi to download to a shared folder which is on my OMV server (running on an HP n40L) The download folder is shared as a smb share.

Currently QB just stalls and no folders or anything get created or downloaded. I know it's because it's not got permissions to access the share. I figured if I got the OMV share mounted and logged in when the Pi boots the Pi would then have the permissions needed and downloading should work?

From the Raspberry Pi OS desktop I can navigate to the share and log in and access it but I can't seem to get it mounted.

I've read loads of guides which have described editing fstab to create the mount but I'm struggling to get it working and I wondered if anyone could help.

so far:

I can ping the server using: ping -c 5 hostname.local and that is fine; without the .local it doesn't find it. But when I try to mount the share to test using

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=username,password=password,file_mode=0777, dir_mode=0777 //hostname.local/Downloads /home/pi/OMVDownloads

I get mount error (112): Host is down and I'm now a bit stumped.

Might anyone be kind enough to help me out with this please as I'm very new to linux and I don't know how to get this working...

Back
Top Bottom