1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Get rich or die trying"

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by daz, 16 Jan 2006.

1. daz

Capodecina

This worldly viewpoint of life seems to be taken on by an ever growing proportion of the community. Is there no dignity and pride in living a modest, happy lifestyle and enjoying the time you have with your family and friends these days any more?

2. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

No.

Ater all, what else can satisfy you but money? Money will get you anything you want! Fine cars, bling, bitches and ho's, a 9 mil and a clip of hollows in case any punks come round trying to **** with your ****.

Seriously now, it sucks. There seems to be some idea that money will get you everything and will make you happy, and so people just want more and more and more of it.

By the by, did you ever hear of 50 Pence? He was a British guy mocking 50 Cent. Recorded a couple of tracks such as In Da Pub and P.I.N.T. and put together an album of sorts called "Get rich or claim benefits" :D

Last edited: 16 Jan 2006
  3. loopstah

Mobster

Blame it all on MTV.

4. anarchist

PermaBanned

No because capitalism doesn't work that way. It needs consumers to consume, and all the time you spend chilling with family and friends is time spent not consuming :)

5. Bear

Capodecina

I can honestly say that although myself and my other half dont earn huge amounts of money, we dont need any more money than we already get. Of course its always good to have more but we're perfectly happy with what we have.

6. Shoseki

Mobster

This contrasts with my own motto, "Get laid or die trying".

Perhaps I should try the money one first... :D

7. Errol

Wise Guy

If you combine the two, you could pay to get laid.

8. Shoseki

Mobster

Nah, the genius is in the reverse...

9. Errol

Wise Guy

True, that is why I currently work full time as an adult movie star for pert18yroldgirls.com.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

Do they have any job vacancies? ;)

11. Nat

Wise Guy

Shame, I was about to register pay2getlaid.com and make my fortune...

For an army of Lego men with giant conical breasts? The future is here, Ladies and Gentlemen!

12. Jonny ///M

Capodecina

Totally bang on mate,my family may not be well off but i love my live and enjoy the time i have with my family.I work to spend on myself and dont ask for money from the parents for anything at all really.Parents have zero debt,my dad drives a P reg laguna and sees no point in buying the latest and greatest car and only spends within his means.A LA no credit cards here.

Big contrast compaired to my mates family.......... :o

13. anarchist

PermaBanned

I've heard of worse fetishes! :)

14. Nat

Wise Guy

Sure, you never hear about the fire brigade being called out to extricate a legosexual from an embarrassing predicament. Its all good, clean fun. ;)

15. theleg

Capodecina

What do you mean 'any more'? :o

I think its always been this way...Very few people are ever content with what they have...More money, power, birds etc is always an aim..

The human race is horribly greedy...always has been.

16. anarchist

PermaBanned

Humans are a co-operative species - according to our evolutionary history. We've always lived in groups, hunted in groups etc. and had co-operative societies. I think selfish greed is a relatively recent thing.

17. Shoseki

Mobster

Bottom line is, though, that often Greed can be the driving force to work. If you never want anything, you are never driven to acheive.

Well, for some people. I don't *have* do many things, but do them for a sense of achievement and the pleasure they give.

Its a bit like World of Warcraft... when you get to the top, you realise there isn't anything to drive you to play the game any more.

Which is why I pity people born into millions of pounds - their life must seem so empty and comforted...

18. theleg

Capodecina

What is relatively recent?

Relatively recent being since the advent of modern civilisation? Co-op societies as hunter gatherers...but since we started evolving beyond that, we have come into our own..

19. anarchist

PermaBanned

I don't know - I guess when people started to want things for themselves, non essential things, rather than just catching food as a group to survive. I wouldn't like to state a particular date though!

20. daz

Capodecina

The point is that these days it's not a quest for gradual betterment, moving up the corporate ladder or starting your own business from scratch - it's that of instant gratification and riches far beyond your dreams so you can buy spinning rims and jewelery.