Getting a bike, convince the parents....

Soldato
moss said:
Judging by what you wrote, Im guessing you have never rode a proper bike before?

He is right in some points, bikes are nowhere near as safe as cars. And there are far more motorbike related deaths than car/car related deaths. However, they can be safe if you take care. :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers,

Just been looking at the IAM website. That could be what I need to persuade them, as you say.

Something like that, will hopefully convince them that I intend to do everything I can to be a safe rider.

Along with demons advice I may stand a chance.

Anyone else have anything to contribute?

Soldato
William said:
He is right in some points, bikes are nowhere near as safe as cars. And there are far more motorbike related deaths than car/car related deaths. However, they can be safe if you take care. :)

Which is basically what i was saying. Bike hitting a car at fairly high speed (and lets face it, all the motorbikers i've seen go BLOODY quick) can more often than not have an early visit to heaven.

Soldato
William said:

Yeah I should have been more specific, I was refering the part about bikes being cars without the safe points.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
William said:
My cars over the years have been much more unsafe than my bike is. I've run about in 40+ year old cars with huge engines and crappy brakes and no seatbelts. I've run about in 70+ year old cars of suspect legality with even bigger engines, worse brakes and no belts. To be honest, driving them is all in the spirit of motoring and you adjust your driving accordingly.

My point is there are only a handful of reasons you'd get a bike:

1. To get through the traffic in town. In which case you will be taking it easy, you'll grow eyes in the back of your head, get lightning reactions and be able to mind-read town drivers.

2. For purely financial reasons because you can't afford to run a car, in which case the above still stands.

3. For some weekend fun so you can go out riding with biker buddies. You are almost certainly going to end up in trouble in this case. Stats show that most accidents and fatalities occur in this situation. Weekend riders simply don't ride their bikes every day most of the time, they get used to driving their cars and the bike is a beast compared to it. If I don't ride for a few weeks then it feels mighty strange when I jump back on it.

Of course you will have it rammed down your throat how many accidents happen in town, but the number of riders has probably quadrupled or more in London since I have been riding, you've also got gangs of kids on suped up mopeds riding like they are superbikes so no wonder the numbers of accidents are going to rise. If anything car drivers are much more aware now of bikers than they were just a few years back and so much more tolerant. Hell, quite a few even pull over to let you through the traffic!

Last edited:
Soldato
Jonny69 said:
3. For some weekend fun so you can go out riding with biker buddies. You are almost certainly going to end up in trouble in this case. Stats show that most accidents and fatalities occur in this situation. Weekend riders simply don't ride their bikes every day most of the time, they get used to driving their cars and the bike is a beast compared to it. If I don't ride for a few weeks then it feels mighty strange when I jump back on it.

I agree 100%, riding my bike in all weathers and most days really helps you to learn what it can and cant handle, and what your personal limits are. I hadnt been on the bike for about 5 days until yesterday when I took it out just to keep it running, I felt so wierd on it I couldnt believe it had only been 5 days since getting in my car.

A few weekends back a friend of mine kept easily with a "sunday rider" in the bends, the other rider had 170bhp, my mate has about 65. It just goes to show that people are scared of their bikes really.

They say these days that people buy 1000's just for snob value, just to say they have one, in reality on a proper run a new 600 will be just as capable as the 1000's in most situations.

Soldato
OP
Well thanks for all the replies.

I think im better armed to convince the parents now that I will get all the correct gear, spend a while on a lower powered bike, make it a priority to take an advanced riding course etc etc.

If I can convince them that I am aware of the risks but will do everything I can to minimise them in the ways above then maybe I can talk them around.

Might still take some doing though.

Back
Top Bottom