Getting a write off back on the road...

Soldato
Morba, he's not buying the car for £800, he's just asking what it's worth.

IIRC, he's getting it for free :)

edit... *sorry for this* Tesla, when you come to sell/scrap let me know. I might be interested in the dash :)

Soldato
If it's a free car then I'd take it, spend the bare minimum on it (I wouldn't bother with any repairs that aren't essential to make it roadworthy) then just slap it on eBay when you're done with it and take whatever you get for it as profit.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
agw_01 said:
People pay silly money for bubble shape 200's.

My mum paid £1100 for her S reg 8v 214 Si (base spec bleugh) with 25,000 on the clock.

And as I'm sure you know... high miles = not always bad ;)

High miles are not always bad, but they are very bad when it comes to resale value, especially on a tiny little old rover. :)

25k is insane for a 98 car, my 2005 leon has wayy more than that on it already! :eek:

Soldato
OP
Technically I aint getting it for free but am not exactly handing over any cash.

Currently I am building up a system from a couple of base units I have and parts lying about. I'll then go and set it all up (something my business does and charges for) for free.

I am prepared to spend £100-£200 on the Car. I have to put it through a VIC and MOT anyway.

I can't see a panel and o/s front light cluster costing much.

Cluster - £10?
Wing - £20?

If I find a white Wing then job done, if not then will have to spend a tenner in Halfords on paint and materials.

Do you think the panel could be repaired. On TV this guy drills a little hole, screws in a bolt and uses some special hammer to pull it out, then a bit of filler etc... jobs a good 'un. I don't have a special hammer so what do you suggest? It may be cheaper to just get a wing from a breaker actually.

I am going to have to go and have a closer look, make sure the car isnt damaged under the bonnet and take the car for a whizz around the block.

I already have a load of primer in the garage. I reckon those bumper marks will TCut off tbh.

The interior just needs a damn good clean and new gear gaitor.

It will then be immaculate.

I am even tempted to keep it as a work car as it could get scruffy.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Wing wise you'll get a brand new one for about £40, at least thats what we payed for them when rebuilding my friends 218iS.

Indicator cluster will be about £15 for a second hand one

Soldato
OP
Saytan said:
for what it's costing you just drive it like that
I don't think it will pass an MOT with a cracked cluster?

Jer, was it easy to fit the wing or did it require lots of bashing and prep where it meets the bonnet etc...?

I reckon I could knock that dent out and fix it with paint or filler tbh.

But it may be cheaper to get a salvage wing.

Soldato
OP
Right found out some more info.

The car was MOT'd a fortnight before the crash and went straight through, the mechanic said the exhaust was starting to blow so the woman got it changed.

That was it.

The garage is the same one as my Mum uses so I can just pop in. Explain the situation and probably get it Re-MOT'd quite easily. :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Wing wise i cant honestly remember, i think it bolted in but we might have spot welded it. (was a few years ago now and we did tons of work on it). It wasnt a big issue anyhow.

As you say though you'll probably get away with not changing that wing, thats hardly a big area and yeah you could knock that reasonably straight then use a spot of filler to tidy it up. The white will be easy to spray yourself also. Cluster wise they swap out very easily so just get a salvage one for that.

Associate
machine mart flog slide hammers fairly cheap (tool with a screw at one end which you screw into the centre of the dent and then pull a sliding weight against a stop to pull out the dent), that dent should come out ok apart from the crease (might need a little filler there).

Wouldn't bother replacing the wing myself- knock it out, fill, spray and job done.

Soldato
Does the cracked cluster affect the beams? As this is the only MOT requirement bar the sharp edges.

The Prelude passed with a taped over lamp as the beam was fine, and the wing was bent up to a point but I padded that out as well!

IMO buy it and run it as is, as if it turns out to be not so solid or reliable it won't have cost very much at all!

Soldato
Tesla said:
I could always break it for at least £100 I would have thought if worst came to worst?

You'd get more than £100 if you broke it.

I, for one, would have the complete dash board off you... they fetch quite a bit of money :)

Associate
I'd take it would be better than the micra and it would be yours, if you can get it fixed at a resonable price do that and when you do find another mondeo sell it on for what ever you can get for it. fyi the 8v K-series engine puts out 60bhp iirc.

thedazman

Soldato
OP
60bhp from a 1.4?

I just had a job near the womans house so though I would take a second look and the only damage to the car is in the pics above. I cannot see how such a small knock would cause and further structural damage. The bumper isn't even cracked.

I am popping round tonight to double check it starts and stops and then it's mine.

Does anybody know if the wing it just bolted on or spot welded too?

Do you think it will pass a VIC and MOT without me doing anything at all to it?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's 74bhp :)

Can't help with the wing I'm afriad. Not even sure how mine are fixed on the Mk2.

I reckon, as long as the headlight beam is aligned, you'll have no problems getting it through the MOT.

Back
Top Bottom