Getting a write off back on the road...

Soldato
Hmmm, AFAIK, you can get insurance on any vehicle.

Has the woman bought it off the insurance company or was she only covered third party?

Not sure on the MOT side of things. You might need to get it checked out again, but if you take it to the garage where it was MOT'd last, tell them the situation, they might give it a quick re-test for free.

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
Hmmm, AFAIK, you can get insurance on any vehicle.

Has the woman bought it off the insurance company or was she only covered third party?
She got some money and her car back so I guess she bought it off of them.

She said she has the log book anyway.

Soldato
Ok, that's good. So, it's now her car to do as she pleases.

I take it after a car has been declared a write-off, you've got to send off for a new logbook?

As a start, I would get insured on the vehicle. Then get onto the VOSA and the DVLA about a new logbook. I'm not entirely sure myself what steps it would have to go through with VOSA, but at least if it's insured in your name, you've got a starting point to go from.

edit... Just had a quick look on the VOSA website. How would you go about getting a vehicle checked over by them? Do they have branches where you could take the car?

Associate
agw_01 said:
edit... Just had a quick look on the VOSA website. How would you go about getting a vehicle checked over by them? Do they have branches where you could take the car?
Yes, there's a list of the branches somewhere on the website. You book a convenient time at the nearest branch to you, and that's it.

Soldato
OP
So really I need to get insured on the car and drive it home. Then knock out the dent and get it VIC'd. I can then register it in my name.

No need for a MOT then?

Soldato
Yep, to get the insurance sorted is the main priorty IMO. You can't do anything with the car until you can drive it on the roads :)

Get it VIC'd which will make the car completely road legal again. I'm not sure about the MOT. You'd have to ask with either VOSA or the MOT centre. In fact, why not give one of them a ring tomorrow.

Then, when the MOT is sorted and the car has its VOC, you can get it taxed. Sorted :)

Cheers tb2000 btw :)

Associate
No problem :)

Here is a link which should answer all your questions. According to this it'll be ok as long as you've knocked the dent out (no sharp bits sticking out) and it must have an MOT cert, so the one it's already got should be fine.

Here's a list of VIC test stations. :D

Soldato
Ohhh, I think you should take the numberplates off for extra fun :D

People will drive past and look at you like :o when the car has no plates.

Permabanned
agw_01 said:
Ohhh, I think you should take the numberplates off for extra fun :D

People will drive past and look at you like :o when the car has no plates.

write: "I must learn to read" 1000 times...

"Also, without number plates the vehicle cannot be driven to the VIC."

Soldato
OP
The other problem I have with tax is I canot park the car on the drive but there is a patch of grass just outside the house, but that isn't owned by us.

It's a bit dodgy and illegal but I think it will be ok.

Soldato
OP
Just called VOSA.

They said to speed things up I can fax them my form and pay via Credit Card. :D

Also, by Law I do not need to re-MOT the car!

However, some insurers request that the car is re-MOT'd before insuring the driver.
If this is the case then I have to drive to the MOT centre without tax and insurance which is damn stupid. Perhaps I can get a mechanic to come and collect it under their trade policy?

Soldato
OP
I cannot get insured on the vehicle until I get it re-MOT'd.

I think the best idea is to ask the garage that MOT'd the car a few months back to re-MOT it and see if they can pick it up, insured under their tradesmans policy.

Soldato
chopchop said:
write: "I must learn to read" 1000 times...

"Also, without number plates the vehicle cannot be driven to the VIC."

:o

I read the first part...

Must the vehicle presented have number plates?
No. However the registration mark must be known and declared when the VIC application is submitted.

and got all excited :(

Soldato
OP
Just got the rover home.

There is a nice dent in one of the steelies and bulge in the tyre sidewall.

I think the spare is NOT a space saver (could be wrong).

Therefore, if I put the spare on and chuck away the old wheel and tyre, will it pass an MOT without a spare?

I found out that the MOT was infact done a year ago so I am now more concerneed that it wont go through, although it has only covered 2000miles since.

Associate
Indeed the spare on the 214 is not a space saver - I have one right here from when my friend's one was written off. And yes, you don't need a spare to pass the MOT.

Soldato
OP
The spare is brand new but just flat as a pancake!

The car doesnt seem to bad but the drivers windy window doesnt work.

I took the door card off (wasnt fitted properly anyway!) and the plastic wheels that sits in the runner is broken off.

White smoke is always coming out of the back and water is dripping off of the back box.

I don't know if this is just becuase it hasnt been used for ages, it's cold.

Obviously I cannot go driving it around. It was just idiling on my drive untill the fan kicked in (quite a while with the bonnet open) to get some charge into the battery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom