Getting a write off back on the road...

Soldato
OP
moss said:
Rovers always seem to have water dripping out the backbox.
Well as long as it's not abnormal. The car may just need a nice 1-2hr drive to sort itself out.

The handbreak requires about 10-12 clicks to hold the car? This normal for this car?

Soldato
Tesla said:
White smoke is always coming out of the back and water is dripping off of the back box.

:eek: I'm afraid it looks like that's where your coolant is going mate! The engine is burning it off! Headgasket :(

Although, before I jump to any conclusions ;) my car will emit condensation out of the exhast for quite a while on cold starts. It must be a good 5 minutes drive before I don't notice any more condensation, and that's at 2000-3000rpm on the motorway. Sat on the driveway idling, the exhaust is going to be nowhere near hot enough so I wouldn't worry about it :)

10-12 clicks is a bit too much yes, but it's dead easy to alter. I'm not sure on the Mk3's, but on mine you just remove a bit of the shroud around the handbrake and will find a nut which you can use to change the handbrake cable tension.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AGW I havnt took it for a drive, and it hasn't been on one for literally months.

I had the engine running for ages and the coolant level hasnt altered. I tasted the water dripping from the back box (none coming from tail pipe) and it didnt taste of coolant.

The Rover tech info says 7-11 clicks. So I am going to tighten it a little until it's nearer to 7 than 11. :)

I don't have any installs booked in until tomorrow afternoon so can do a little work on the car in the morning. My Dad took me down to the garage to pump up the spare tyre.

So I am going to swap the bulging tyre for the spare. The spare has good tread apart from the edge where it is worn quite low.

I think it is legal but is borderline. I think I will swap the matching new tyres from the back to the front and put the worn spare and other front tyre on the back.

The brand of tyres is "fate". This is kind of worrying, I hope my fate is not to meet my match in the Rover.

The interior is pretty much tidied up now. So I am going to get cracking on the bodywork tomorrow morning.

Dad is going to give me a hand checking all the stuff an MOT'er would over the weekend as it's much easier with 2 people. Lights, steering etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
I tasted the water dripping from the back box
dihydrogen monoxide! :eek:

Air + petrol = kaboom plus water residue = white smoke = steam (especially when its cold, like when you breathe out on a very cold day)

Idling your car doesnt recharge the battery, you need an Italian tuneup. Pretend its a Ferrari and take it up the motorway or somewhere where its over 3k revs anyway. Also the handbrake will be stiff after sitting round so will the brakes.

Some harsh braking from 50 without locking up on your local trading estate after hours would be what I would do. Plus if it brakes straight, thats a good test of the suspension, chassis, etc

Soldato
OP
The car currently has...

NO Tax
NO MOT
No Insurance

I am not going to start driving about in it.

The car started fine after I had left it idiling until the fan kicked in. It would have charged the battery a little. I will probably charge the battery in the house tomorrow though whilst working on the bodywork.

The plan is that it will fly through the MOT, I can then get it insured and then taxed. Then I can take it for a spin down to the south coast for the day and then get it VIC'd.

Soldato
Tesla said:
I had the engine running for ages and the coolant level hasnt altered. I tasted the water dripping from the back box (none coming from tail pipe) and it didnt taste of coolant.

:eek: wtf. That stuff is poisonous and common sense should tell you not to start tasting stuff coming out of the exhaust.

Soldato
OP
I had a tiny drop. Literally put a drop on my finger and touched it to my tongue. Just tased of water and not anti freeze.

Afterwards I was able to shoot lasers from my eyes and creat thuner storms!

The interior cleaned up ok - Doesn't look too bad actually :D

I "may" be getting sorted with a new wing and headlight today. That's if they are cheap enough.

Today I need to take the bumper off so I can get the headlight out.

Change the bulging tyre for the spare. Put the matching new FateO tyres onto the front.

Give it a proper good clean. I had a Karcher for XMas so am dying to use it. What better than on a White car with mould all over it :D

If I am able to collect these new parts then the wing simply unbolts, no welding required :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update:

Gave the rover a wash, mixed the wheels about so the better ones are on the front and discarded the crappy bent up one.

The battery is on charge at the moment.

I managed to source a white wing and replacement light from a Rover forum and am sorting out collecting them today.

I t-cutted the bumper removing most of the black scuff and also took the wing off in preperation for the new one.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Soldato
Nice update Tesla! The car looks very very clean! Not a spot of rust. So the wing just unbolts? That's good to know :)

I saw your thread over at RT as well. Nice bunch of guys there :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Awesome free car :) That bumper has come up very well indeed. Thought the wing unbolted but couldnt quite be sure as we were at the time also removing the slam panel which is definately welded in.

Looking very tidy indeed.

Soldato
OP
I picked up a nice white wing and shiny as new headlamp this evening, £30 for the pair so these will be bolted on in the morning.

Having so many keys is fustrating. I may have a go at retumbling the locks. At least have a bash at the boot lock making it work with the door keys.

As you can see the drivers door is a different colour to the rest of the car so perhaps it was broken into, also explains the keys.

I am not going to do this for now though as the plan is to get it through the MOT on tuesday. It's getting a mini service this weekend along with an in-house MOT.

The drivers window fault is annoying. It looks difficult to work with though. On the mondeo when you remove the doorcards there are nice big holes to work inside the door through. On the rover there are tiny crappy ones. :(

The scissor mechanism that lifts the window needs repairing. I have never done this though so havn't a clue on how to remove the glass and mechanism.

Oh, the headunit was given to me today. JVC CD player. Should help to sale the car when the time comes. It's only a few years old at most as in good condition and face off front.

Soldato
I said it unbolted, no one listens!

Dont leave the wing open to elements like that or you'll set it up for some lovely rust later if it gets damp. It does look primered, mine was bare metal in parts so I covered it with plastic till I could get the wing back on.

The drivers door is a brighter shade of white? cant really see it clearly

Caporegime
Jez said:
High miles are not always bad, but they are very bad when it comes to resale value, especially on a tiny little old rover. :)

25k is insane for a 98 car, my 2005 leon has wayy more than that on it already! :eek:

Oh dear, my '98 is now on 107k.....

As for the topic, great, a free Rover! - I'd be tempted to get the hammer to the wing, trouble is, I would'nt stop there...... :p ;)

Soldato
OP
Well after a mornings work this is the end result:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Also topped up the fluids, checked all the lights, adjutsed the screen washers (the rear one isn't working - is this an MOT failure point?) tried out the JVC headunit (sounds a bit crap compared to the setup I had in the Mondeo but then that was expected). Found out what two parts of the interior rattle so will cure those after the MOT. I think it will go straight through as I can't find anything that it would fail on.

If anybody has ideas on things to check where it can fail or is likely to then please post.

EDIT - Oh I did cover the wing area last night and made sure it was nice and dry this morning before fitting the new wing.

Soldato
Tesla said:
Update:

Gave the rover a wash, mixed the wheels about so the better ones are on the front and discarded the crappy bent up one.
Hey Tesla,

Just a point of info - I read a while back that the AA recommends putting your best tyres on the rear, as understeer is easier to control than oversteer :)

Tak it with a pinch of salt if you like, just though I'd mention it.

Back
Top Bottom