Getting a write off back on the road...

Associate
Tesla said:
Well after a mornings work this is the end result:

(pics)

Also topped up the fluids, checked all the lights, adjutsed the screen washers (the rear one isn't working - is this an MOT failure point?) tried out the JVC headunit (sounds a bit crap compared to the setup I had in the Mondeo but then that was expected). Found out what two parts of the interior rattle so will cure those after the MOT. I think it will go straight through as I can't find anything that it would fail on.

If anybody has ideas on things to check where it can fail or is likely to then please post.

EDIT - Oh I did cover the wing area last night and made sure it was nice and dry this morning before fitting the new wing.
Looks good! There's a few things you can't really check unless you've got it over a pit or on a ramp like holes in the cv boots, steering rack boots, and also movement in the track rod ends, etc. But to be honest with 25000 on it I should think there's not a lot of chance they need doing. :) Oh, and it doesn't matter about the rear washers, they don't come into the MOT.
Looks like a great car for what you paid!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
tb2000 said:
. But to be honest with 25000 on it I should think there's not a lot of chance they need doing. :)
Looks like a great car for what you paid!

Are you getting mixed up with someone else's car? This one was free and has 107k on it :)

Associate
Jez said:
Are you getting mixed up with someone else's car? This one was free and has 107k on it :)
I think I got the mileage mixed up with this earlier quote from yourself :D:
25k is insane for a 98 car, my 2005 leon has wayy more than that on it already!
By the "what you paid for it" I meant the fact that he paid nothing!

If it's got 107k on it then there may be a few bits and pieces needs doing, but then again it may be fine.

Soldato
OP
As I had to shuffle all the wheels about I checked all the CV boots and they all look very new, the front ones are definately very new. as the jubilee clips and boots have pretty much no dirt on.

The front ARB bushes are in good condition as arethe other bushes I checked around the front wheel areas.

The oil was very low so topped that up today and there is no more white smoke :D

Also topped up the coolant and marked where it was so i can closely monitor it's level.

Soldato
Excellent work there. You lucky git getting a free car. Thats at least a £600 present! At least.

There is a clear colour divide, is it just the drivers door, or is the new wing a slightly different shade as well?

I've now got two keys after a break in...bloody annoying!

Soldato
OP
The new wing exactly matches the colour of the bonnet and A pillar.

How flukey is that!

I might have a go at retumbling the boot lock this afternoon as I feel like a challenge.

Soldato
OP
Well I have so far taken out the lock and taken it apart a little but cannot get the lock barrel/mechanism out from the plastic casing.

Anybody ever taken this lock apart before?

Soldato
OP
Well I done the lock. Dead cuffed.

Bloomin' fiddly job. Requires a lot of patience, something I dont generally have!

I had two wafers left over at the end that just wouldnt work in any combination.

The other keys I tried did not operate the lock though so all is fine :)

Soldato
OP
The car is now with the garage having an MOT done.

I pumped up the tyres before taking it in.

It actually accelerates quite impressively.

I wasn't really expecting any improvement over the Micra as that is a very light car but the Rover gets to 50 quite promptly. It is also quite comfortable. Build quality is brilliant in some areas and pee-poor in others so overall average.

I dont think I would pay any sort of real money for one though.
Would be an absolute fantastic first car, one I have never considered before.

Here's to hoping it passes the MOT!

Soldato
:D So you've seen the light then Tesla? ;)

Bet you're really chuffed though, to get the car and then to sort out a wing and headlight for almost nothing.

How are the oil/coolant levels doing?

My fingers are crossed btw. Go on Rover! Saying that, my dads' 265,000 mile 820 had its MOT yesterday and passed.

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
My fingers are crossed btw. Go on Rover! Saying that, my dads' 265,000 mile 820 had its MOT yesterday and passed.
Are you like the Rover family? :p

I should get a call from the Garage about now. Probably to tell me it's falling to bits.

Soldato
How did you know? :D

My dad's got two 820's, I've got a 214 Mk2 and my mum has a 214 Mk3 (my recommendation of course) :D

The Mk3 is superior to the Mk2... well from the inside anyway. I'm not keen on the exterior.

Soldato
OP
Just got back, had a chat with the mechanic.

He thinks the cylinder may be gone and fluid on the shoes.

IF I can get the car back to him today with the condensation removed from the light and working rear break he will pass it at no additional cost.

I have today off so can fix it up myself.

What do you suggest regarding the rear brake. I have never touched drums and shoes before but i'll whip it all apart and have a look/get some pics.

I will take the headlight out then apart and should be able to dry it. Unless their is an easier way? Will putting the headlights on dry it all out? Maybe somehow with a hair dryer or something?

Soldato
OP
I took the headlight out and dried it out with a hairdryer through the bulb holes, genius I think!

Now I am onto the breaks, just consulting the PDF i have on them as no idea how to take em apart.

Expect pics when i get stuck!

Back
Top Bottom