1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting baked on mud off an alloy wheel

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Sirrel Squirrel, 6 Jun 2006.

1. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

I've got some black stuff thats baked onto my alloy wheel possibly mud, which I can't get off by just scrubbing it, I can however pick it off with my finger nail but it'd probably take me a day to do a whole spoke at that rate, I was just wondering if there are any tools that I could use, which wouldn't scratch the wheel itself, any ideas?

2. MuvverRussia

Wise Guy

probably brake dust. Go to halfords etc and pick up some alloy wheel cleaner and use that. Should shift it.

3. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

I got some turtle wax foam that you spray on, which is then meant to eat away whatever this stuff is but it didn't really work even after scrubbing, only a few tiny bits came off. I think I need something like a paint scrapper but I'm worried that'll take the finish off the wheels if I use that.

4. Nimzicki

Mobster

Get the Wonder Wheels alloy cleaner, I had baked on brake dust/dirt etc. from when the previous owner hadn't cleaned them before storing in his garage, seriously this stuff is amazing, brought em up like new!

5. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

Black? Sounds like tar. Tar & Glue remover :)

6. andi

Capodecina

Tried a nylon brush?

7. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

Well I lie, its more of a really dark brown, I'm a bit colour blind so it's black to me :p I'll try that wonder wheels stuff, do they sell it in Halfords?

8. Nimzicki

Mobster

They do indeed, 7.99 or something. Smells rank though..like a high school chemistry lab, but takes the dirt off instantly, was pleasantly surprised :)

9. RiPz

Hitman

steam? careful you dont take the laquer off though :p

10. Zip

Capodecina

Could use a tooth brush :)

11. jpmonkey69

Mobster

I used Meguires Hot Wheels and a few clean terry cloths... it works really well!