Getting bored with WoW...

Associate
OP
Pixel said:
I found there was an invisible barrier to break through once I hit level 60, it's this barrier that determines who stays on after level 60, and who leaves the game entirely. You have to find something that will keep you interested for a long time in WoW after level 60, for me it was PvP and trying to attain the highest rank possible, for others it's end game raiding such as BWL and the new AQ.

You probably find yourself waiting quite long in BG queues because you're Alliance, and Alliance tend to outnumber Horde on most servers. Take Draenor for instance where the Alliance : Horde ratio is reported to be something like 4:1, Horde wait on average around 2 minutes to get into their BG of choice, whereas our Alliance counterparts are waiting around 1-2 hours to get just one game. This may not be the case on your server, but just wanted to mention it anyways.

I'm not surprised you're getting bored with the game with a Paladin as your main. One time I was PvPing a Paladin 1v1, and I went off half way through the fight and made myself a cup of tea while he was bubbling-up, such a boring class to fight, I can only imagine it's a boring class to play too, I could be wrong though.

Unfortunatly this sums up my expirience a lot. I love the Paladin class, and since the last patch, PVP with it is great fun, but in raids we are reduced to a second class healer standing in the back spamming Flash of Light and Cleanse for 3 hours. It's dull!

I would like to lvl another class, but to be honest it's more the time requirements that are stopping me. It would put a strain on my relationship if I wanted to spend 3-4 hours every friday night raiding with the guild and as Sunday is "our day" it would be unfair to do it then also. I do like playing in the Battlegrounds, but the queues on my server are a joke. I have to wait 3 hours+ to get into AV and it's often 35-40 minutes to get into AB. This means I spend a lot of my time sitting in queues faffing around...

As a casual gamer I have discovered that WoW end game isn't designed for me, so after a year of playing I'll most likely be moving on.

Soldato
I got bored with WoW after hitting lvl 56, for exactly the same reason, i have a job with fairly long hours and cant afford to spend 3 hours a night playing large instances, there is virtually no end game content for people like me.

I eneded up on City of Heroes and are loving it, there are a few long instance runs but i find that its so easy to find a team and have a 45 minute blast helping people do their missions, its light years ahead of WoW on finding other people to play with. When i joined a guild on WoW it was great, but it wasn't big enough to do many instance runs. Within a month on CoH i was invited into a Superheroe group with 50+ people, which is easily enough to enjoy the games full content.

Much more enjoyable from a pick up and blast perspective.

Associate
I'm in the same position, multiple high level characters, but bored.

What game do i go to?

Wow really has been am eye opener for me as it's the first mmorpg I've played so i don't want to go to something else only to be disappointed. Is there anything else as good as Wow? Needs to be something that I can play without being in a large group to get anywhere and something that does not require 5hr instance runs.

Thanks.

Soldato
Quick synopsis of the one's I've played for rudeboy :

Everquest 1 : Great game, great classes, ridiculously big world at this stage, and almost no low level characters around. Pity, still one of my faves. Grind to max level is much worse than Wow, and high level raids are, as mentioned above, a full time job. I managed to play it for years without ever getting a character above 35.

EQ2 : Has a lot of the stuff WoW does, they've been pinching ideas off each other for months. Much easier to solo than when it was released, but the classes aren't as fun as Wow, some of them are very one dimensional. Nice zones though, lots of hidden areas and places to explore. Terrible, terrible voice acting :p

Dark Age of Camelot - very newb friendly, bit bland looking compared to the newer releases. Some very interesting classes and absolutely excellent realm vs realm combat. Proper frontier pvp lands with castles and towers to fight over. Also has battlegrounds like wow but without the queues. Buy the US version though, euro one is run by a bunch of muppets.

Eve Online - not at all like the others - very open ended, Elite type mmorpg. Boring solo, utterly stunning in a good corp (guild). All the emphasis is on your ship and skills, and on who you know and what they think of you. It's quite possible to annoy the wrong people and get your entire corp wiped out. The only mmo I still play on a regular basis. Low kiddie count cos they can't get their heads around it :D

Anarchy Online - free (if you don't mind ads) sci-fi mmorpg. Very complex and deep, but really starting to look ragged at this stage. Full of underage spoilt little brats now that it's free too. Pity, the only decent sci-fi one out there.

SWG - Not if you threatened to strip me naked and dip me in acid. A real steaming heap. Travel back in time to two years ago when it was the best of the lot, before Sony started playing silly buggers with it.

City of Heroes - fun in short doses, but a bit lightweight. Best character creation I've ever seen though.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
GordyR said:
Compared with Everquest (the original one anyway) you guys have it ridiculously easy!

Being in a high end raiding guild was a full-time job and that is no exhaggeration. You were expected to attend raids that lasted around 8-12 hours every single night and farm zone flags and other equally tedious rubbish during the day every day. As for loot? Expect to have put in months of raiding before the guild would consider you for anything other than "throw-away" drops. Not to mention getting to 60 was much more of a chore in EQ than in WoW.

Pfft... Excuse me, i'm just bitter that I wasted so much of my life on that game a few years ago. :p
I had no idea you used to play EQ1. You've gone up in my nerdy respect :p

I'm strange, I still miss EQ1 :o WoW never quite had the magic EQ had for me. Probably because it was harder to get good loot than in WoW in my experience. However I'm still debating returning to one or the other for a bit, probably a mistake.

Soldato
Haly said:
I had no idea you used to play EQ1. You've gone up in my nerdy respect :p

I'm strange, I still miss EQ1 :o WoW never quite had the magic EQ had for me. Probably because it was harder to get good loot than in WoW in my experience. However I'm still debating returning to one or the other for a bit, probably a mistake.

Doh! My cool "Rock 'n' Roll" image has been tarnished! :p

Seriously though, yeah I was heavily in to the game from about the age of 17-20. I started just before the first expansion Kunark came out. I completely fell in love with the game. I dabbled with WoW and EQ2 recently just to see what they were all about but nothing came close to the early experiences i had in EQ so I quickly uninstalled them both. I was in what was at the time the most powerful guild on my server (it was american server so I was up all night) Now I won't touch another mmorpg for fear of losing my life in it again.

Enjoying a game like EQ or WoW is nothing to be ashamed of. Losing your life in it is however. My life back then consisted of EQ and gigs, nothing more. When I look back I really could have pushed my career along further had I not got so sucked in to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Windle said:
Dungeons and Dragons online is great from the beta, and should be released soonish.

^^ This.

Can't wait to play the full release. The FPS style combat means you actually have to play the game rather than just clicking a few buttons and the requirement to actually think about how you move through instances keeps things very interesting.

There's no PvP which I thought would be a bad thing but, after having played the game, it honestly doesn't need it.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
GordyR said:
Doh! My cool "Rock 'n' Roll" image has been tarnished! :p

Seriously though, yeah I was heavily in to the game from about the age of 17-20. I started just before the first expansion Kunark came out. I completely fell in love with the game. I dabbled with WoW and EQ2 recently just to see what they were all about but nothing came close to the early experiences i had in EQ so I quickly uninstalled them both. I was in what was at the time the most powerful guild on my server (it was american server so I was up all night) Now I won't touch another mmporg for fear of losing my life in it again.

Enjoying a game like EQ or WoW is nothing to be ashamed of. Losing your life in it is however. My life back then consisted of EQ and gigs, nothing more. When I look back I really could have pushed my career along further had I not got so sucked in to it.
Sounds quite similar to my experiences :) I was into EQ1 during my college years and stopped nearly 2 years ago. Luckily I juggled it fairly well with my studies and still spending time with friends etc so I look back on it quite fondly :)
It is incredibly easy to get sucked into though, all MMORPGs are if you let them take over. WoW somehow never really grabbed me like that though but maybe that's a good thing!

I wasn't in a huge guild but it was big enough to do a fair amount of raiding and it just ended up that I fell behind when I had to stop to revise for my A Levels. After that I never quite got back into it, got busy with other things.

My dissertation for Uni is on MMORPGs now so maybe I finally have a use for it :D

Soldato
Windle said:
Dungeons and Dragons online is great from the beta, and should be released soonish.

I thought it was very poor or at least a let-down. Basically just instances and a meeting place for grouping and that's it, repeat quests for extra experience. I think it'll be a game where I'll get bored very quickly unless it has some more content soon after release.

Associate
Had a look at a few and Guildwars looks the most appealing to me, but am i going to find it restrictive after playing WoW? I've heard that I wouldn't be able to walk anywhere like I can in WoW and can only walk along predefined routes to different locations? I quite like the multiple class idea though as I do tend to get bored after a while.
Looked at DDO and while it looks impressive I've heard there is no walking between destinations, you just beam there automatically? Is this true? Seems like it would be taking the fun out of getting round the world to me, but maybe I have just been spoilt by playing WoW as my first mmorpg.

Associate
BAcon said:
sell the account like i did bud, get yourself back all that subscription charges

game is crap anyway

LOL, nice idea, but rules out the chance of me ever returning to my existing characters should I wish to have another go with the new expansions and what not.

Associate
OP
adam cool dude said:
You made a paladin so it's understandable. Re-roll something a bit more fun XD

Actually, I think to a certain extent you have probably hit the nail on the head. It I enjoyed myself more during the raid I might not mind spending 3 hours doing it.

I love the Paladin class, it's got some great aspects like the Auras and the Healing, but even after Patch 1.9 we are still pretty gimped when it comes to damage. I'll admit, I'm the worlds worst at PvP, but I can't seem to beat ANYONE! I've duelled Warriors who laugh, saying that I'm the only Paladin they've beaten.

Anyway...

I've got a lvl52 Rogue, but I don't like playing as him. Rogues are a odd class, not really required for any raids, just there on the side for abit of damage. I want to be needed, but not just there to pad the wounds of those havin gmore fun than me.

I guess I shouldn't have rolled a Support Class though.

After playing a mix of Guild Wars and a few other games today I decided that I still like WoW, and that perhaps it's the class I have choosen rather than anything else.

I have now rolled a Warrior and have started to lvl him...

Associate
Ive been here too - i quit wow so long ago i cant remember exactly;then resubbed say, 3 months ago at my friends insistence..did 3 weeks of the month then quit for good.

although there is a LOT to like about wow, there is so so much to hate.

IMO,the community is the worst of any online game i have ever played; ive never seen so many people arguing about loot that had'nt even dropped yet.

i suppose it's cartoon style graphics and easy way to pick up the game and play, it really is aimed at the 12-15 year olds,and this would explain a lot.

its basically fisher-price mmo.

Also, the arbitrary DKP's --where the bleep did these come from? i really intensely dislike how people have accepted this as "the holy grail" of loot systems : who the hell is in a position to tell me its ok for me to help them for 3 hours in a dungeon, but that im not good enough to roll for something my class can use?

man i could go on and on about the complete and utter bs this game has degenerated into;about how, when you roll an alt the quests are still exactly the same....about how,no matter if you are level 20 or 60 you still cant really take on more than 2 mobs at once solo* ..and you can still get killed by a pack of low level mobs even when youre at max level.

well nevermind.

i would not be suprised to see some kind of wow-backlash occurring soon.

personally, ive gone back to asheron's call.I bought the Throne of destiny pack for £12. it contains the game plus 2 expansion packs plus a free month.

the graphics are very dated now and,being brutally honest the server populations are low. I would say 350 people on at peak time.but... the community is second to none,the combat is frantic with insane numbers of mobs you can quite easily battle at once.; and best of all, once you have a few levels under youre belt, you can revisit the newbie areas and just literally sit down in front of the mobs and they cant touch you.THIS is real power!
you can see for yourself what those levels have done for you.

all this plus a stupid amount of quests and a very large amount of real dungeons (i.e secret doors, switches that have to be pulled to open doors,parts you have to jump down,pathways that split and the team has to split too)

i hope everyone still on wow enjoys it;but if not try a different game !
remember life is not about your level or your postcount or your uptime or any of that bleep !

variety is the spice of life.

im sure a fanboi will be along shortly to tell me that in fact, they once kited four mobs at the same time on wow and obviously i must have played the wrong class if i could not do the same, or how paladins are hopeless / rogues are "4tw"

Really, if you put xxx hours of your life into a game, only for the community to turn around 9 months later and tell you the class you play is no longer wanted, would you question the community or think "yeah, i must have picked the wrong class -- silly me, doh"

glad to have left, wont be back for the expansion.

Permabanned
For me, the game started at level 60. I've clocked up almost 1500 hours of gameplay and I'm still not even slightly bored with it. Over 50% of those 1500 hours were spent at level 60.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
chase said:
Also, the arbitrary DKP's --where the bleep did these come from? i really intensely dislike how people have accepted this as "the holy grail" of loot systems : who the hell is in a position to tell me its ok for me to help them for 3 hours in a dungeon, but that im not good enough to roll for something my class can use?

I also hate the DKP system, but it's there for the right reasons unfortunatly.

It makes sense to reward the people who are at every raid, as giving the gear to those people will make things better for the guild as a whole. That being said, as a casual gamer (and a Paladin) MC/BWL raiding is quite frustrating as you watch the decent loot passing by you.

This afternoon my guild teamed up with another to take out this big blue boss dragon who had spawned in Azshara (called Azuregos). He is not quite as tough as Onyxia. All I can say is that it's made me see another side of the game, one that is fun and doesn't take hours.

I don't think Paladin will work out as my main in the long run....it's not fun in raids or pvp, it's a pve class.

Back
Top Bottom