Getting colder - heating on yet?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Live in an old stone barn (converted, obviously :p) and I've put it on for an hour here and there when it's dropped in the evenings.

The PDPLX6090 chucks out some serious heat so if anything it helps balance it all out and keeps it from going on more often.

Soldato
Nope, I went years without heating, just a gas fire, parents then had it installed a couple of years back and we never use it (seriously, I don't know what the big fuss is about heating, it's only useful when it's dangerously cold).

I don't actually notice it being cold in the house much and I usually change into a pair of shorts when i'm just sat around the house for comfort.
I leave my windows open most of the time to let the air in too, i'd rather just be sat around not sweating seeing as i start it doesn't stop for ages even if i'm sat outside in the cold.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's still too warm for that. I've been wearing shorts for the last 4 months. I went out in a pair of jeans yesterday and I was pouring sweat in no time at all.

Soldato
No, all the heating units in our flat are either 800W or 1.5kW... and the place is full of large open areas and lots of glass... it takes a good 4 or 5 hours of them being on constantly to even make a slight difference (except in the bedrooms, which heat up very quickly), so we tend to just man it out through the winter only turning the lounge ones on if its VERY cold (i.e. breath in air cold) as they just cost far far too much to run!

Caporegime
I switch my 360 on for a bit, and put my PC's fans on low - cpu shoots upto 60c or so (3.7ghz e6600) and I has a nice warm room. Takes a while for the room to heat up but it works!

I don't think it works like that. A CPU will release the same amount of heat, it's just not being removed as quickly into your room (so almost the opposite effect).:p

Down in Plymouth I used to have my window open all year round (until every time my GF came over, she'd shut the windows straight away. At home however it's starting to get reasonably chilly, windows have been shut and i'm starting to wear a thin fleece under my t-shirt. My old house used to have the heating on full blast all the time however (student house), and even with my radiator off my room was hot, at home we probably won't have it on until November or so.

It's still not quite cold enough to wear a jacket when going outside however, I keep doing it when I go down the town, only to regret it a couple of minutes later as I warm up from walking...:o

GHz

GHz

Associate
Our heating isn't on as yet, but the temp in the evening and mornings is dropping.

The nights are already drawing in so wont be long until the fire gets lit in the lounge.

Associate
No c/h as the system is drained down to move pipework/fit new towel rads in both bathrooms as they're getting refurbished. The guy doing the suite fitting/tiling isn't coming back 'til October to do the upstairs bathroom so praying the fine weather holds on until he's done. :D

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Fired ours up last night for an hour to ensure that it was still working.

Haven't put it on tonight. Housemate's dropping hints that it's cold, but she knows where to find her fleece jacket.

Soldato
My mum insists on having the heating on all evening and it gets very warm, very quick. It's on at work a lot too, but I can't blame anyone as portacabins let out a lot of heat.

Soldato
Its been on twice so far, just when its been to cold for a shower... However I am coping mostly by wearing jumpers/dressing gowns but not sure how long they will cut it!

Jcb33.

Back
Top Bottom