1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting fedup waiting

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Steve_h, 13 Apr 2006.

1. Steve_h

Gangster

Has anybody had any experience with the Samsung SH-S162A 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
    OR
    the Sony DWG120A 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
    Mainly interested in noise/reliability etc...

I was waiting for the Pioneer DVR-111BK to come into stock,but it's getting a bit annoying now having to wait.
    Even an e-mail to Pioneer confirmed that they are short in the UK :mad:

2. Steve_h

Gangster

Nobody owns the above drives then :confused:

3. Tosk

Wise Guy

my m8s got a Sony DWG120A 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter and it seems ok to me it does get abit noise when spining up disks, but what dvd/cd writer doesnt now days :)

it seems to like most disks as well, im gonna get 1 for me new pc when ive got the rest of my parts.

4. Steve_h

Gangster

Cheers Tosk,thanks for the info :)

5. Rambaud

Wise Guy

The Sony is a re-badged LiteOn, IIRC. The OcUK ad mentions DVD-RAM at 5x , but I don't think it can write DVD-RAM discs - although it may be able to read them. If you are wanting DVD-RAM writing, I suggest you confirm this point.

A better choice may be the Sony DRU820A, which is now out in the UK; this can write DVD-RAM (I am told), and is, AFAIK, a re-badged BenQ 1670 (with Sony firmware). This is due to LiteOn buying BenQ's optical division.

I may even buy an 820A myself - although it has no LightScribe ability. :(

6. Steve_h

Gangster

Well I won't be getting a LiteOn (rebaged or not),just had to replace a mates after his packed up one month out of warrranty :eek:
    Thanks for the heads up!!

7. deadeyedic30

Wise Guy

Get the Pioneer DVR111DBK they are in stock and on sale, and flash it with the DVR111BK firmware. Only £25 ;) I did, not that i have any ram disc, but it still writes dvdr/rw fine so heres hoping if i get a ram disc.

8. Steve_h

Gangster

Let me know when you try and write a RAM disc :) Heres hoping it works,that would solve the problem.

9. deadeyedic30

Wise Guy

I'm having trouble finding somewhere in Northern Ireland that sells them, have tried the various websites for high street stores and local shops and nothing. Will drop into Idiot World at weekend and see if they have any.

Got some Ram disc, what do i use them for ? !!!

Last edited: 22 Apr 2006
  10. ashmanq

Gangster

:( I really wanted to get one soon aswell looks like they have been delayed or something for a while

11. deadeyedic30

Wise Guy

Nero says that both drives are capable of writing dvd ram, even though one is using a modded firmware and the newer one is on original that shipped with drive. Tried INCD4 but not having it. Doesn't look too good. :(

I'm a fool !! :eek: :rolleyes: :(

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17565339

Got a 5 pack or RAM discs and nowt to use them with. :mad:

Last edited: 22 Apr 2006