1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of a GTX260

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by SiriusB, 10 May 2010.

1. SiriusB

Capodecina

As per the title really!

I am shedding one of my GTX 260s, most likely the Sparkle as I still have the box :D. I got it from OcUK not that long ago and has done a fine job.

If any of you are interested I will put it up in the MM.

The proceeds will go towards the i7, 6GB RAM and Gigabyte mobo that will be going into my server! :D [Incidentally I will probably have a Q6600/RAM/Mobo available in the MM too!]

Not sure when I will be getting the new parts as I am waiting to see how much money I will have left once I pay off some bills. This is just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting a card for FOLDING [you Seti nerds can do one! :p]

2. k3v

Wise Guy

oi

3. Marine Iguana

Soldato

Checks wallet *cries* stupid useless old car :(

Don't upgrade to soon i want to revenge stomp you before then :p

4. verbal

Wise Guy

I might be interested. Is it one of the 216 shader core ones? Do you have a link to the exact card or an image/photo of it?

5. didgemaster

Wise Guy

what sort of clocks are you getting on the Q6600 and what are you cooling it under and what temps are you getting?

6. SiriusB

Capodecina

This is the exact Sparkle GTX 260. Except mine has a black cooler, not white as in the picture.

As far as I can tell all the original packaging is still here too. I will even throw in a dummy plug :D

The Q6600 is currently running at stock speeds. However, it used to run, and fold, at 3.6GHz. Temperatures were always acceptable under a Scythe Ninja Rev. B. I did have it 3.8GHz for a short period but it needed too many volts for the Ninja to keep it cool. Better cooling/WC and I imagine it will be happy at 3.8. This was all in its current mobo, an Asus P5B Deluxe.

Q6600 info:
    [​IMG]

7. didgemaster

Wise Guy

^---Give us a shout when you are putting it on - I will have to see what funds I have!

8. SiriusB

Capodecina

Will do.

Right, need to find some nylon to wrap it in...

:p

9. didgemaster

Wise Guy

:eek:

lol

10. rich99million

Sgarrista

I have an offcut of some brand new carpet you could wrap it in - would be nice and cushioned then too :D

11. Biffa

Man of Honour

Nylon and iron filings I find keeps it nice and insulated.

12. SiriusB

Capodecina

:D

13. ToxicTBag

Soldato

Will keep an eye open for that q6600....my poor ps3 is on its last legs for folding :)

14. SiriusB

Capodecina

OK, I have the Q6600 and the GTX260 ready to sell, pending me actually packaging them up! :p

If didge and verbal are still interested could you let me know! If I don't hear back I will just stick em on the MM and see what happens! :p

15. miniyazz

Soldato

I'd also like to register my interest, but I suspect you may choose not to opt for my offer as I work out my spending limits based on folding power/£ :p

This means that I can offer £60 for it, but you will probably get more elsewhere :)

16. mymorph

Wise Guy

whats the formula miniyazz, i might like to use it myself..

17. SiriusB

Capodecina

I assume you're referring to the GTX? :D

18. miniyazz

Soldato

Yup, the GTX!

It's roughly based on the cheapest graphics card for the PPD. Currently I reckon it's a toss-up between the 8800GS and 8800GT - each of which I've bought recently for £28 and £35 respectively. I then make a couple of assumptions - that folding power is directly proportional to GFlops, and that every card has the same overclocking potential. So the GTX 260, at roughly 70% more folding power than an 8800GT, is worth roughly 70% more - making £60 and under a good buy :)

All prices are subject to change, naturally, as the second-hand market prices fluctuate.

19. SiriusB

Capodecina

Everything is going into the MM later today if I don't hear back from didgemaster or verbal. Sorry miniyazz, £60 is a bit low and I would like to see if I can sell it for more on the MM. Will keep you in mind if it doesn't sell, however. :)

20. miniyazz

Soldato

Fair enough, I didn't really expect you to take it :) I've yet to see one that low.