1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting someone else's emails (same name/email address)!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pattojones, 11 Nov 2011.

1. pattojones

Hitman

I'm after a bit of advice...

For a few months now i've been receiving someone else's emails, someone with the same email address (exactly the same) as me! These are not just circulars, etc but personal emails concerning his business in the USA, etc!

I cannot find a solution on the www and cannot seem to find a way to contact my webmail provider. Could anyone make a suggestion. I don't want to just sign up for a new address as the address is heavily connected with my work also!

TVM

2. Ukadder

Wise Guy

Go to your email provider and tell them, He could also be getting your emails...

Whats your domain for your email address?

3. #Chri5#

Soldato

:confused:

So you have (as an example) [email protected] and you are getting another person's e-mail?

Sounds like somebody is giving out the wrong address (ie the other person is mydomain.net).

4. Darg

Soldato

Email yourself and ask him if he's getting your emails :p

EDIT: When you get your own email do not reply thinking it's him.

5. nst68

Wise Guy

I get this in Gmail at least once a week.

I got the address of [email protected] and others with the same name as me have similar ones i.e. [email protected].

The emails I get are when the person sending it hasn't put the correct address in.

6. Abraham

Sgarrista

nobody has the same email address as you, they are giving out your email address incorrectly.
    How can you say you have searched and not realised this? :confused:

I have it quite a lot because I have the .co.uk of my real name, and the .com and .co.uk of my handle, which are only 1 letter different. So people quite often send emails to me to my real name .com, fortunately they are quite nice about bouncing them back.

7. Wicksta

PermaBanned

I get this all the time as well, I have my initial and surname @gmail.com. Fed up of people registering on forums, sending me quotes for roofing in the USA or signing up to online games. I even had someone sign up to Facebook with my address and keep sending themselves password reminders, in the end I logged into their Facebook and put a message on their wall telling their friends to tell this guy he had the wrong address and to contact me.

8. misterPK

Mobster

A friend of mine was in the same situation. It got to the stage where he was being emailed things with the other person's home address on it. So he wrote to them explaining it all, and pointing out that he probably had enough information to steal their identity!

9. VeNT

Capodecina

10. Jokester

Don

Gmail is notorious for this, I guess it's something to do with gmail/google mail.

11. Smit

Soldato

That shouldn't actually be possible on gmail since those are the same email address based on how google handles the mail :confused:

You can test it yourself by sending an email to:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

They ignore any '.' So every single email that guy would be getting sent would go directly to you

12. RoyMi6

Mobster

Quite simply untrue.

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10313#

"Your address is similar but has more or fewer dots (.) or different capitalization."

I'd check they aren't your bills...

EDIT:: Should point out that although the person doesn't have the email [email protected] he could have [email protected] and simply getting it totally wrong.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2011
  13. Mr.Stu

Wise Guy

14. VeNT

Capodecina

15. RoyMi6

Mobster

Aye, ninja edit on my part but I'm just saying he doesn't have the email address [email protected].

Because you own both. Again, other person is handing out their email completely incorrect.

16. spudbynight

Soldato

Ooops...beaten to it.

17. Paul11

Capodecina

they are not the same email address then.

18. Wicksta

PermaBanned

It's to do with it being a massively popular email service with so many users on it to make mistakes when giving out their email address. It's also to do with the email address itself, a common name with [email protected] or [email protected] will be much more likely to suffer from this problem compared to a 'random' email address.

19. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

I get this with my Yahoo mail account; I have [email protected] and every so often I get a spate of emails from a family of mostly rednecks in the US who think that the address belongs to a member of their family. (And they do appear to be rednecks complete with sending out pictures to family members of misc critters they've shot).

Latest spate though was when one of them booked some travel arrangements and I ended up with all their itinerary and e-tickets. So I contacted the travel agents and had that resent correctly. Then I got emails for them saying their trip may be affected by an incoming hurricane, so again I contacted the travel agents and had them sort it out ...

Have the same username on Hotmail and GMail and have had them all for many, many years but have only had this with GMail (so far)

20. Delvis

Caporegime

err, how is it anything to do with Gmail specifically? Its the douchebag at the other end not typing in the address correctly :p