Getting sponsered for a sponsored walk???

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Gilly said:
I understand your point and saw your example in the other thread we have. I just think that if its something you want to do and something that means a lot to you, and its a good cause, I don't see the problem.

2 birds, one stone :)
In my view, it isn't a problem, providing sponsors understand, clearly and up-front, that about half their sponsorship goes to ther cost of the event, not the charity it purports to be raising money for, and that of the half that goes to the charity, another chunk goes to the charity's admin costs.

How much actually ends up being used for the purpose of the charity .... i.e, into Parkinson's research?

If sponsors understand that and are OK with it, fine. Personally, I agree with dmpoole, which is why I won't get involved with this type of event.

Permabanned
OP
Sequoia said:
In my view, it isn't a problem, providing sponsors understand, clearly and up-front, that about half their sponsorship goes to ther cost of the event, not the charity it purports to be raising money for, and that of the half that goes to the charity, another chunk goes to the charity's admin costs.

How much actually ends up being used for the purpose of the charity .... i.e, into Parkinson's research?

If sponsors understand that and are OK with it, fine. Personally, I agree with dmpoole, which is why I won't get involved with this type of event.
I was going to stay out of this debate but I will throw my 2p in now.

MY dad has had Parkinsons since I was 7 years old, I am now 20. Over the last 3 years it has gotten a lot worse with added demensia and alzheimer's.

I am not only doing this walk for him and others with Parkinson's Disease but also for myself to meet other people who are doing this for the cuase becuase they probably also have relatives or friends suffering from the Disease. Not only that but I will learn more about it, I can share and teach things about it and I can also get a break from having to cope with it here at home and have a holiday. Maybe it seems selfish but until you have to deal with something like this I think you have no right to say that the person fundraising for the charity and doing the work to get the money raised doesn't have the right to be rewarded for his/her efforts. I think that's wrong to do that.

So theres my 2p. Hope it makes sense. Sorry Sequoia for quoting your psot only this is not directed just at you.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Colin_da_Killer said:
I was going to stay out of this debate but I will throw my 2p in now.

MY dad has had Parkinsons since I was 7 years old, I am now 20. Over the last 3 years it has gotten a lot worse with added demensia and alzheimer's.

I am not only doing this walk for him and others with Parkinson's Disease but also for myself to meet other people who are doing this for the cuase becuase they probably also have relatives or friends suffering from the Disease. Not only that but I will learn more about it, I can share and teach things about it and I can also get a break from having to cope with it here at home and have a holiday. Maybe it seems selfish but until you have to deal with something like this I think you have no right to say that the person fundraising for the charity and doing the work to get the money raised doesn't have the right to be rewarded for his/her efforts. I think that's wrong to do that.

So theres my 2p. Hope it makes sense. Sorry Sequoia for quoting your psot only this is not directed just at you.
Don't get me wrong, Colin .... I have no problem at all with you doing this type of event, and I completely understand, I assure you, why you do it and why you feel as you do. My personal hot button is cancer, having lost both parents to it an at unfortunately young age. I understand why you want to do this, and wasn't criticising.

My only proviso is that I would expect anyone sponsoring to understand how their money is being split.

However ..... having said that, my point is that when I donate to charity, I do so in such a way as to ensure that as high a proportion of my donations as possible gets used at the pointy end. This is why I said that personally I don't get involved with this type of event. If I give £1000 to a charity event, I do NOT want to see £500 of it go to funding the event, and a chunk (sometimes a significant chunk) of the remainder go to charity overheads, or towards a chief executive's £150,000 (or more) annual salary. So, I'm careful to target funding where I consider it will do the most good. For instance, I'd rather donate directly to a specific cancer hospice than to a central, national body. I feel my money does far more good that way.

I utterly respect your wish to raise money, and not to end up heavily out of pocket to do it. Any funding raised for charity is better than not funding it at all, and the charity benefits. But I have a fairly well regimented program, and budget, in mind and I take the steps I can to ensure that that funding does the most good. As I was going to donate it anyway, I want to see what I spend going on research, not fundraising activity.

So while I regard what you're doing as well worthwhile, it's not the way I chose to make contributions. I feel I do more good with targetted expenditure.

Man of Honour
Colin_da_Killer said:
So theres my 2p. Hope it makes sense.

It makes complete sense as long as you are truthful with the people who are handing the money over. You tell them that about 60% of the money is going towards the costs and if they're fine with that then OK. Believe me, if you don't tell them and they find out at a later date then expect something to be said.

good luck

Perhaps a word with our own Firstborn on here would be useful.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17566357

Soldato
dmpoole said:
It makes complete sense as long as you are truthful with the people who are handing the money over. You tell them that about 60% of the money is going towards the costs and if they're fine with that then OK. Believe me, if you don't tell them and they find out at a later date then expect something to be said.

good luck

Perhaps a word with our own Firstborn on here would be useful.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17566357

Was just about to post as well! :)

I enetered this years MDS for me, but seeing as it was a fairly extreme event I thought it'd be a good chance to raise money for a couple of charities I believe in.

I never intended to fund my efforts through sponsorship yet had to continually convince people that any money they donated wasn't to cover my costs and a lot of people were sceptical. I even had to convince them that donating via www.justgiving.com meant I didn't see a penny of the donation - this at times was disheartening, "hey I'm trying to do a good thing here". So in a nutshell my feeling is that using a percentage of the money raised to fund your effort is only going to make raising money harder.

In terms of raising money - friends and family will be your best source of donations. Approach local businesses, not necessarily for money donations but perhaps donations of products/services that could be used to raise money e.g. through an auction, raffle etc. I had limited success with small businesses with donations coming in the form of kit I'd use in the event. Produce an info pack, outlining what you'll be doing, why you're doing it and how local businesses can help and deliver them personally, follow it up with any progress you make later on e.g. training progress, money raised to date etc. Get your efforts reported in the local press as it helps people realise you're genuine.

Try and come up with a few things that make people think they are getting something for their money - book a restaurant and charge people a few quid over what the food costs, sell raffle tickets outside your local supermarket (ask them first) the winner has their shopping on that visit paid for etc. Obviously you have to make sure whatever you do you are going to end up in profit.

Also using a webby like justgiving is a must for money donations as you don't then have to spend a further 2/3 months trying to collect money you've been promised.

Unless you are a celebrity or have contacts you'll get nowhere with large businesses imo.

I raised around £2k in the end all through friends and family. I know people who raised more but all said that it was a lot of work and almost a full time job.

Sorry if that paints a bit of a negative picture. But raising money isn't easy for normal people without a lot of effort.

Hope that hasn't put you off and good luck with it all.

ps. I'm hoping to do the Great wall marathon next May if I can wangle a trip out through work.

Permabanned
OP
Thx for all the responses. I am taking it all in and I will phone the organisers of the trip on Monday, get as much info about everything as I can and if it all looks promising then I will start my fund raising asap taking into consideration all of what you have told me.

Thx all,
Colin.

Back
Top Bottom