GFX card upgrade advice please

Associate
Back in my younger days i was big into gaming but having since settled down and had kids i just don't have the money or time anymore.

On a whim i treat myself to a MSI Codex pre-built PC (specs in my sig) to do a little bit of gaming again, I've replaced the RAM and added a NVMe SSD as cheap upgrades to try and get a little bit more out of the machine and also managed a pretty respectable overclock on the 1050Ti considering its the small form factor one without the 6 pin but it still struggles to get past medium on most modern AAA tiles (Control, Detroit Become Human), I game in 1080p (24") as just don't have the spare money or space for a display that supports anything else as i have to use a dual monitor setup while working from home, i am after upgrading the graphics card to something with a little more power than the 1050Ti but i am limited by the 450w (edit: 350w?) PSU, any advice would be great. the cheaper the better lol.

TLDR: I think i need a better graphics card, help. cheap, cheerful and low power for 1080p gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
i am limited by the 450w PSU

TLDR: I think i need a better graphics card, help. cheap, cheerful and small for 1080p gaming.
Depending on the quality of the PSU (brand/model?) - you could power a 2070 - possibly a Zotac mini if space is an issue (second hand).

And with the release of the 30-series cards you should see a glut of them appear second hand mid September and again in October - at a very attractive price as their high value has disappeared overnight.

But, need that PSU's model/brand.

EDIT: Perhaps full model of system for case dimensions too.

Associate
OP
So upon further inspection it might just be a 350w PSU based on the spec page. This is the specs according to MSI's website:

https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Codex-3-8th/Specification

Mine was a slightly updated model with the GFX swapped out for a 1050ti 4GB instead of the 1060 3GB and mine is the i5 so I'd assume it's got the lower spec PSU of the 2 listed

Even had the side of the case off, no markings whatsoever to identify the PSU but it does have the 6pin PCI E connector on the PSU.

Spacewise it's a reasonably big case so I could probably get a full size card in without issue aslong as it wasn't a monster but I'm thinking my options are pretty limited without swapping out that PSU which thanks to MSI's 'cable management' would be a pain and an expense I wanted to avoid.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It does look like a 350w psu but it would be best to check inside and see what model it is and does it have pcie 6 pin cables.

What's your budget?

A 1660 super can be had £200 which will double the performance of the 1050ti.

2nd hand your gonna get more for your money.

Associate
OP
There is no identifying features on the PSU at all. Had the side of the case off and had a good look everywhere. It's just a generic grey box but definately does have the 6pin connector, would I be able to power a 1660 super assuming it is the 350w or would it require a psu swap?

I was thinking second hand to be honest maybe via MM if I drop on as I know I can probably save a few quid.

Budget wise as little as possible so the missus doesn't kill me, definately under £200 If I can help it.

Soldato
but definately does have the 6pin connector, would I be able to power a 1660 super

I was thinking second hand
I think the 1660 Super is an 8 pin - so you would need an adaptor. And, the MM is a good shout for such an upgrade - especially now - as knock on effect of 30-series launch will hit their prices too.

If it's a quality 350W it's within spec given your other 'unclocked' components - but the 1660 Super will draw more power than 1050Ti.

Sorry to do this again gents - but @EsaT and @pastymuncher are the gurus on such matters and if they're available will be able to better advise you; as their ability to search out PSU specs is second to none.

Man of Honour
I think you could get away with it I think its only 45w more than the 1050ti

1660 super 450w psu is recommended.

A new 450w psu gonna cost you £45.

In the end it's your call.

Soldato
Personally, I'd buy a new PSU with your £200 budget, something around the £50 price point. That would leave £150 for a GPU. Might be able to get a used RX480, RX580 or RX590 with that.

Then you'll have a good PSU for your next GPU upgrade in a couple years.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. I might change tactics and invest in a decent power supply and some cooling (as it doesn't have any really) and wait a little for the GPU for the impending price drop once the 30 series have settled in.

Soldato
Personally, I'd buy a new PSU with your £200 budget, something around the £50 price point.

Then you'll have a good PSU for your next GPU upgrade in a couple years.
£50 doesn't exactly give good PSU.
Might not find even standard 5 year warranty ones, but only 2/3 year warranty ones.

Associate
OP
Yea I'll probably spend a little more and go somewhere in the Gold and Modular range.

Considering the rest of the system I'm assuming 500w would probably be more than enough if I threw a 1660 super in there?

Associate
OP
Manage to pick up a 2060 on MM. Can't wait to give it a whirl. Got given a brand new PSU a CV450. I know it's hardly the best but it was free and it's certainly going to be better than my generic 350 grey box.

I've ran it through the PSU calc and it should be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom