• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GFX on the way out, replacement?

Associate
Hi, yesterday while playing World of Warcraft, about 1 hour in or so my PC froze and green screened. I restarted the PC and all was good, after another 30 mins to 1 hour the same thing happened again. Restarted again, and tried some things to see what the issue could be, ran MEMTEST64 for a bit no errors, ran a simple GPU test no errors then installed Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and after a few minutes Green screen and pc froze. So this morning decided to try again, ran Heaven and after aroud 10 mins the PC froze and then restarted. So im thinking GPU is on its way out? are there any other things i could try to rule out RAM/CPU? If it is the GPU could you guys recommend an upgrade?

Current spec is:

Radeon R9 280 9 (3gb)
i5 4690K
16gb Kingston HyperX Predator Beast
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3

Dont have a huge budget to replace everything so best GPU for up to 500 euro.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
You tried uninstalling reinstalling the drivers just in case its them , and i know when my r9 270 started playing up it was full of bum fluff and overheating.

Permabanned
It is failing, yes, but the problem is that right now is absolutely the worst time to buy a new GPU. Even old GPU's second hand are insane prices. It's honestly really difficult to know what to suggest, it's more a case of grab what you can when you can. You may be able to get a new 1660ti at a reasonable price if you hunt around.

Associate
What temperature is it reaching up to? Could be crashing due to overheating. As others have said, buying a card right now will not be a great experience. Personally, I'd take it out, give it a thorough cleaning, and repaste the GPU (if you haven't done that before in particular), and see if it still does it.

Back
Top Bottom