• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

@Gibbo - Vega Preorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
@Gibbo - my idea- 1 per customer for pre-orders and give forum members the option to preorder 1 card 1 hour before preorders go live. That's for the forum members that have over 100 posts

all i want is the vega 56.
oh and a ultra wide freesync monitor

Make it happen Big man

1 per address is a better idea.

Soldato
I got a miner who keeps telling me mining is in massive decline dont join etc. :)

I think he is just trying to discourage new miners as of course the more there is the harder it is for existing miners, so if we get people flocking to buy these gpus for mining then that tells me mining is still very profitable.

It's less than half as profitable as it was mid-June. So you've 2 ways of looking at it. It's a good time to join because parts will be cheaper (I suspect very shortly if prices don't pump soon) or it's a bad time to join because there's little money in it right now.

Associate
@Gibbo
You could do similar to what you have done for the power devil cards. Double or triple the website price and have a discount code for forum users.

You could also even temporarily list it under a codename on the shop so that it doesn't show up as a link on search engines.

Limit it to 2 cards per billing address for existing customers and 1 for new customers.

Are you able to advise on how many units of allocation OCUK have requested and/or being given?

Associate
Depending on how effective the new ISA is, 100 is feasible.

However, if it's that good, I seriously doubt if AMD won't have made efforts to restrict it somehow to dedicated mining SKUs of Vega, where they can price discriminate accordingly.

Miners will definitely pay in excess of $1k for a card that can hash that well. It would make no sense for them not to take a chunk of that extra money, whilst making sure gamers still have cards to buy.

Soldato
Emm,people do realise the Vega 56 has a much lower TDP than the Vega 64?? The later does 30% more FLOPS for a 64% increase in TDP. That hints at the Vega 56 having lower power consumption overall by a decent amount. I suspect that means if you downclock the card and memory a bit,there should be a decent drop in power consumption.

Soldato
Emm,people do realise the Vega 56 has a much lower TDP than the Vega 64?? The later does 30% more FLOPS for a 64% increase in TDP. That hints at the Vega 56 having lower power consumption overall by a decent amount. I suspect that means if you downclock the card and memory a bit,there should be a decent drop in power consumption.

Whyever would you downclock the memory? ew :( Kill any mining potential there for no power savings

Soldato
It's less than half as profitable as it was mid-June. So you've 2 ways of looking at it. It's a good time to join because parts will be cheaper (I suspect very shortly if prices don't pump soon) or it's a bad time to join because there's little money in it right now.
yeah but for me it would be just using my existing GPU, I am not going to buy one just for mining.

This guy in question has been mining through the boom and it paid for 3 1080tis and 1000s in profits on top.

Soldato
Because,it might quite possible when of the reasons Vega 64 also has big power consumption is that the HBM2 has been pushed to the edge. Vega56 has downclocked memory too.

You're not getting my objection to it. Memory speed is where most of the hash gains come from - you drop that and the hash speed will drop substantially, so even if the power comes down form it you're not gaining anything.

Soldato
Because,it might quite possible when of the reasons Vega 64 also has big power consumption is that the HBM2 has been pushed to the edge. Vega56 has downclocked memory too.

Vega is far more efficient with lower core clocks, lowering VRAM speed will not yield anywhere near as much power savings. More likely Vega 56 simply has a lower stock voltage, maybe .1mV which would lower TDP considerably.

Gamersnexus lowered the Vega FE by 1.1mV and power consumption dropped 84W at the same core settings with +50% power target.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...tion-undervolt-benchmarks-improve-performance

I would estimate at stock speeds it should be possible to undervolt a Vega64 by .9mV to bring power consumption down to ~220W TPD.

Soldato
I recently been using my 1070 for some hashcat stuff, and I discovered dropping the power limit to 50% only lost 10% performance. I expect it be similar for mining as thats also hashing type of activity.

Soldato
OP
Argh can't wait too preorder :D Hopefully Gibbo will let forum members pre-order before the miners crash the website on the 14th!
Anyone else checking the website daily just in case they appear there? :p

Man of Honour
Vega is far more efficient with lower core clocks, lowering VRAM speed will not yield anywhere near as much power savings. More likely Vega 56 simply has a lower stock voltage, maybe .1mV which would lower TDP considerably.

Gamersnexus lowered the Vega FE by 1.1mV and power consumption dropped 84W at the same core settings with +50% power target.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...tion-undervolt-benchmarks-improve-performance

I would estimate at stock speeds it should be possible to undervolt a Vega64 by .9mV to bring power consumption down to ~220W TPD.

I'm going to assume those are volts not mV :p (otherwise you'd be talking like a current of nearly 80,000 amps).

EDIT: Ah 110mv drop in the article.

Last edited:
Associate
Guy internally from one of the AIB's, maybe he is smoking the BS pipe.
I think he's mistaken, yes. Even the Radeon Pro Duo with its dual Fijis can't get anywhere close to 100MH/s. So Vega would need to have something like 2.5-3x the mining performance of Fiji, and I just can't see that happening given how memory latency is such a big bottleneck for Ethereum mining.

Caporegime
I think he's mistaken, yes. Even the Radeon Pro Duo with its dual Fijis can't get anywhere close to 100MH/s. So Vega would need to have something like 2.5-3x the mining performance of Fiji, and I just can't see that happening given how memory latency is such a big bottleneck for Ethereum mining.

They are unlocking performance in their latest drivers for mining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom