Gibraltar....

Caporegime
or you have to hop over to the border to Spain... and depending on how relations are between Spain and the UK at the time that could take up to 2 hours.

Housing costs in Gibraltar are not cheap, finding a nice place with somewhere to park will be expensive. The flip side of this is you can live over the border (although not La Linea, its a ****hole) and get a lovely place for the cost of a packet of crisps, but you then have to deal with the border crossing every day and would be subject to Spanish tax jurasdiction.

This is changing post-Brexit (counter-intuitive) but the border will be easier now! Gibraltar is going to be in the Schengen zone and so passport controls will disappear, instead, there will be passport controls at the airport for inbound flights, which hardly adds much inconvenience as you'd have needed ID etc.. for a flight anyway.

Customs checks can still be carried out though that is subject to change in the future too depending on whether Gibraltar joins the customs union.

Soldato
TLDR: Gibraltar is a day-trip hole, maybe not a great idea for long-term living.

I love the fact that DrHouse's life is littered with career choices, job locations, and car choices which have been decided by a computer forum. It makes me tingly inside.

I'VE BOUGHT A BMW M6 - IS IT ANY GOOD?

MIGHT MOVE TO STA ALBANS FOR A LAUGH, NEVER BEEN BEFORE - IS IT ANY GOOD?

GIBRALTAR LOOKS LIKE A GIGGLE - IS IT ANY GOOD?

The man is a legend and I mean that with no sarcasm whatsoever. He's essentialy the Dice Man but posts in GD :D

You forgot:

MOVED TO THE COUNTRYSIDE WITH LOADS OF SPACE FOR A LAUGH - IS IT ANY GOOD?

MOVED TO AN APARTMENT IN LONDON WITH NO SPACE, PRAM GOT REMOVED BY BUILDING SERVICES - IS IT ANY GOOD?

Soldato
My mate lived there for a year working for Bet365. He was living in an apartment (expensive!) opposite the Morrisons by the Hospital and he and his wife both loved it. Food in Gib itself was expensive so most folks shopped in La Linea (nice and cheap), night life was OK and they spent most weekends travelling through Southern Spain or occasionally Morocco once they'd exhausted the Gib beaches. Once you've done the "tourist" stuff in the first few months Gib itself doesn't have a lot of other things to do during the day, which is why they spent most of their time in Spain.

There's a few odd rules/laws to follow such as dogs are only allowed on dedicated "Dog Beaches", crossing the border was hit or miss depending on the Spanish guards there that day and the home internet speed wasn't great (oddly considering the business internet was rapid) etc.

However all of this was before Brexit & COVID so current conditions could be vastly different.

Soldato
I remember being terrified taking off from Gibraltar Airport, the runway dropping off into the sea. The few times I've been there have been purely to get somewhere else.

Soldato
I remember being terrified taking off from Gibraltar Airport, the runway dropping off into the sea. The few times I've been there have been purely to get somewhere else.

Taking off has never bothered me, landing is always an experience though. I'm not the best flier (irrational I know) and the first time I went to Gib it took two go arounds before we were able to touch down.

Its such an odd airport though, I usually stay on the Sunborne and I could literally jump off my balcony and swim about 100 yards and be on the runway.

Soldato
Nothing to add other than a boxing YouTuber I like to listen to was speaking about Gibraltar recently due to the fight between Whyte and Povetkin... I've never seen someone butcher it the way he did!

it's at 0:46-:0:49

Soldato
OP
thanks for the feedback.

What's the career progression outlook like in Gibraltar? Are you in speciality training or is this just a temp non training post?

Zero, but even now I am not training. I am a ED / ITU reg and really happy with that, I know I should do more but at the end of the day I have to make a choice. Career progression or have my own personal life, free time, time with my family and a decent income.

At the moment I work 3 days a week now, fixed hours, no nights and get paid 2 to 3 times what I would if I went into training again, I have finally found myself a good work-life balance.

Soldato
OP
Is that because you're a locum or something?

Yep, i was getting burned out working 48h a week on a shift pattern so I moved to locum not too long ago. I still do 36h a week but that is much more sustainable.

The pay is not that much better when you consider no AL, no pension, and no sick leave. Its the work-life balance i was chasing.

Back
Top Bottom