Gibraltar....

Soldato
Had three visits to Gibraltar whilst serving , surely with your skill set you can have a pick of where you want to work - why this dump ?

Yo can do a whistle§ stop tour of Gib inside a day , The rock , cable car ride , caves , get mugged by the apes and the cemetery. Oh I wonder if the bullet holes are still there at the shell petrol station courtesy of the SAS ?

Luckily or unlucky for you The Hole in the wall bar no longer exists , many a young sailor was taken advantage of .

https://www.yourgibraltartv.com/blogs/10935-jan-22-iconic-hole-in-t-wall-pub-to-close-after-40-years

Enjoy - I didn’t .

Associate
when my dad was in the navy he described Gib as several thousand drunk matelot's clinging to a rock. I think he enjoyed it there :) Hell, its an adventure, go for it. Its not like you would have a problem getting a job back in the NHS if you came back. You get one go at life, go for it!

Soldato
Zero, but even now I am not training. I am a ED / ITU reg and really happy with that, I know I should do more but at the end of the day I have to make a choice. Career progression or have my own personal life, free time, time with my family and a decent income.

At the moment I work 3 days a week now, fixed hours, no nights and get paid 2 to 3 times what I would if I went into training again, I have finally found myself a good work-life balance.

Nothing wrong with taking your time with training and just making time for yourself and family. Too many medics rush straight through. I did a few years extra in medical jobs doing locum and trust grade and an now a locum GP.

I can't comment on Gibraltar specifically but given you have the flexibility of being a locum I don't see the attraction of going there to work, especially seeing some the comments here. I'd rather take time off for some nice regular holidays with the family. It's very different if you're going there for an academic/career purpose like going to major trauma centre etc.

Man of Honour
I have been approached about a job in Gibraltar (A&E Doctor), Im a bit fed up with the weather here and I fancy a bit of a chance so I'm thinking about it. I would be taking a 25% pay cut but the taxes are lower so I would be more or less even when it comes to take-home pay.

Has anyone been out there, what's it like?

My mum lives there. Any specific questions let me know.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I didn’t think that it was as bad as Blackpool, I didn’t like the place at all when we flew over from Tangier on a day trip years ago, but I would have said that it’s more like Chatham with sunshine.
Once you’ve seen the rock and the apes, that’s it.
My wife saw a betting shop, went in and won a score, then went into M & S and bought a blouse.
We went back to the airport and got an earlier flight back to have a drink by the hotel pool.
I love just north of Blackpool and I've been to Gibraltar.

I'd pick Blackpool.

Man of Honour
I love just north of Blackpool and I've been to Gibraltar.

I'd pick Blackpool.

You’re welcome to both, knock yourself out, oh, and I assume that you meant that you live just north of Blackpool, not love.
It must be brutal making love outside in the boonies between Cleveleys and Fleetwood :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You’re welcome to both, knock yourself out, oh, and I assume that you meant that you live just north of Blackpool, not love.
It must be brutal making love outside in the boonies between Cleveleys and Fleetwood :p
Haha, meant live :)

Soldato
Yes how incredibly odd to not want to sunbathe in or amongst dog poo.

To be fair it's similar here. At St Annes Beach there are designated sides for Dogs/Non Dogs and a lot of beaches around here don't allow dogs during peak season. Can be annoying if we forget and try and go to the wrong beach with the dogs, but as you say, i wouldn't want to sunbathe around dog poo either.

Man of Honour
I guess the women are really nice so much to the south?

With the possible exception of those from Blackpool and Rhyl, all women are nice, from Penzance all the way to Inverness, it’s just that if you go further north than say Luton, they sometimes become difficult to understand, (language wise).
Those from Clacton and Basildon can make themselves understood, but are best avoided.

Soldato
OP
So I went to check it out last week, Did not like Gib it self, parts of Spain nearby are nice but overall it's a no-go.

very strange feeling, i walked out of the airport to my hotel in spain then later in the day walked from spain to the hospital and then back agin lol.

Man of Honour
To be fair it's similar here. At St Annes Beach there are designated sides for Dogs/Non Dogs and a lot of beaches around here don't allow dogs during peak season. Can be annoying if we forget and try and go to the wrong beach with the dogs, but as you say, i wouldn't want to sunbathe around dog poo either.

Are you sure that the Dogs/No Dogs sign doesn’t refer to “I would as a last resort” women, and total munters?

Soldato
Had three visits to Gibraltar whilst serving , surely with your skill set you can have a pick of where you want to work - why this dump ?

Yo can do a whistle§ stop tour of Gib inside a day , The rock , cable car ride , caves , get mugged by the apes and the cemetery. Oh I wonder if the bullet holes are still there at the shell petrol station courtesy of the SAS ?

Luckily or unlucky for you The Hole in the wall bar no longer exists , many a young sailor was taken advantage of .

https://www.yourgibraltartv.com/blogs/10935-jan-22-iconic-hole-in-t-wall-pub-to-close-after-40-years

Enjoy - I didn’t .
Haha yep, pretty much this, it was either Hole in the Wall or the Donkey’s Flipflop.

Love the pics of the Hole’s closing, fat balding guys with terrible dress sense, bet every one of them is an ex CPO.

Soldato
Traffic everywhere even though are entitled to free bus travel. Dirty, crowded. Feels like an old world mini London or Dublin. Bars and restaurants are poor. Importing items is expensive (and all are imported).

I've been a good number of times, most when sailing. IMO You'd have a better time in La Linea which itself is a hole.

Soldato
OP
If it's a bit too cramped then perhaps check out the Channel Islands instead?

I have done a little reading about Guernsey, will see.

Traffic everywhere even though are entitled to free bus travel. Dirty, crowded. Feels like an old world mini London or Dublin. Bars and restaurants are poor. Importing items is expensive (and all are imported).

I've been a good number of times, most when sailing. IMO You'd have a better time in La Linea which itself is a hole.

this sums it up really. Its such a shame they should have made it into such a nice place given location but its a bit of a mess

Back
Top Bottom