gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Scratchy said:
I got my bits and pieces on saturday, unfortunatley I chose a ds4 with G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ, while I can get the system working with 1 stick it's having none of it when I try with both :(

I know that I was lucky that my DS4 and HZ 0606 ram worked fine out of the box.

I did however update the bios to F3B which I found a link to over at XS. Mucho stability increase and at 450 fsb it does select the right cas (4) for the memory when set to auto.

If you can boot and update bios I think it is definately worth a try (as long as you are aware of the risks involved in flashing bios).

Good luck ;)

Steevo

Soldato
Guys. I need to make my mind up on what ram to get as im about to RMA my G.Skill LA 5400 soon. I was looking at the GeiL 5300 DDR2 2x1gb set. Is this ram compatible?

Associate
Stelly said:
aaaaaaaah ok sorry thought you ordered from overclockers

Stelly

lol np mate, i was panicing hoping i didn't buy ddr for a while tho!

my e6400 arrived today and i'm just waiting for my ds4!!

*fingers crossed

Associate
i've updated to the f3b bios using the packaged updater and there's no stability problems with my two working sticks, i haven't tried the other two yet (lent them to a friend) i was a bit dubious about using beta bios but there's a recovery program included in the supplied cdrom so you can always get the bios back to version f2!

Associate
OP
Well i rma'd the board last monday and a new one arrived today.Just finished plugging everything together still no boot :mad: .So i can confirm that this board does'nt like ocz (2 x 1gb) pc2-6400 dual channel special ops memory.
The only thing to come out of this is i will never buy another gigabyte board again.I just wish i had bought the abit ab9-pro or an asus one.

Many thanks for your help

Associate
killer_uk said:
Corsair XMS2 PC5400 works fine. ;)

Killer. I'm using this ram. What speed you been able to get your ram to with what settings?

EDIT: Seem to be only able to run at 340fsb before it craps out. Think this is the memory, as it's only rated at CAS 5 at 333mhz, and with this Cas5=3 bug, it's way out of spec at 350 :(

This thing is really wrecking my head. My opteron was an absolute doddle compared to trying to clock this thing!

Last edited:
Associate
WesleyBurns said:
My HZ like stellys works a treat. 0606

Mine is 0606 also but it just doesn't want to work with both sticks in, I make it to windows and after about 1-10mins the whole thing just freezes, I do get the whole fan on off thing sometimes with just 1 stick but it always starts up eventually - at least so far anyway :rolleyes:

Don
Scratchy said:
Mine is 0606 also but it just doesn't want to work with both sticks in, I make it to windows and after about 1-10mins the whole thing just freezes, I do get the whole fan on off thing sometimes with just 1 stick but it always starts up eventually - at least so far anyway :rolleyes:

Have you tried different RAM slots??

Stelly

Associate
Stelly said:
What RAM slots are you using??

Stelly

The red slots matey, will try with one stick when I get in. To be honest I am flying to the states tomorrow so it will have to wait until I get back. Unless I can borrow some memory from work as they should be old DD2.

Is it worth buying a stick of PNY 533mhz DDR2 to get the thing to boot? If I set the timings manually for the G.Skill will they stay set ore revert back to the CL3 timings set by SPD?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
After lots of reports of the G-Skill HZ working ok, i RMA'd my G-Skill NR and bought the HZ which arrives tomorrow. Really hope it works cause i don't fancy another RMA :(

Back
Top Bottom