gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Skilty said:
The red slots matey, will try with one stick when I get in. To be honest I am flying to the states tomorrow so it will have to wait until I get back. Unless I can borrow some memory from work as they should be old DD2.

Is it worth buying a stick of PNY 533mhz DDR2 to get the thing to boot? If I set the timings manually for the G.Skill will they stay set ore revert back to the CL3 timings set by SPD?

Cheers!

Ok well it booted with one stick of RAM, unfortunately PC is in London and I am now sitting on my balcony in sunny Florida!!!

So no messing around with my rig until September.

Good luck to those with the DS4 an hopefully there is a new BIOS by the time I get back.

Laters, I hear Cinderella is gorgeous gonna see if I can get a date :D

Associate
Shocky-FM said:
Got my DS4 today and HZ memory, its working but im stuck at cas3.... :(
I can't see any newer bios available, its shipped with F2 bios, changes cas settings in bios doesnt change anything.... unless cpu-z is displaying incorrect settings.... :(

Can someone link me to bios that works, i.e able to change the cas timing.

hmm thats odd out of the box my ds4 and HZ ram had 4-4-4-5-15 in cpuz as its meant to be.. didnt update any bios or anything

Associate
Please don't shoot me down in case i'm getting the wrong end of the stick (no pun intended) but I was reading on another forum that early Gigabytes bios is bugged (not sure if shipped fixed yet) but the bios voltage for ram didnt go high enough ie 2.1volts on the 6400 memory.

The fix mentioned was that you had to put in cheap 533 memory that only needs 1.7 volts and download the latest bios that lets you put the volts higher.

Is this what you are talking about? Seems amazing that they hadnt written this into the bios from the beginning

Deks

ps please ignore me if this isnt waht you are discussing

Permabanned
weemee118888 said:
My CPU-z thinks I am an DS3 F1 bios - I am not. I think the program must be reporting it wrong!

Doesnt really matter, as soon as I lower the memory ratio it seemed to be at cas4.. bit strange but everything seems ok now... Priming E6600 at 3400Mhz.... but its taking allot of volts, 1.45 53C load safe ?

Also memory performance seems quite low, scoring just under 5500 in sandra.. any tips to improve this ? using 1:1 with memoru at only 379. :(

EDIT, nevermind, it failed at 3400, so running at 3300 and increased memory to 458 4.4.4.15... scoring around 7300 in everest read test... this ok ?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm having a new problem with my motherboard now:

When i turn it off at night and come to switch it back on it won't start up. I have to take out the battery on the motherboard and erase the cmos to get it to work! Its happened the last two days in a row!

I'm going to try to update the bios. What program did you use? the built in bios one or the in windows one?

thanks
James

Associate
ja3h said:
ok i got the motherboard today and it worked fine with my ram. Just finished doing a fresh install now. But i can't seem to overclock it a bit...

:S

If i go to bios and change the fsb or increase the voltage to the ram or cpu it just refuses to boot. Even if its just a little bit. ><

i'm going to try the software in windows now to see if i can do anything

I am having the exact same problem i cannot even manually set 266x8 in the bios which is the default setting of my cpu (e6400)+G.Skill NR 6400...This is driving me mad i cannot set any cpu frequencies above 266 :( ..I hope there is a fix for this soon its driving me nuts and i am using the f3d bios!!!..

Associate
Charlatan said:
Would the DS3 / DS4 work ok with the following memory:
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

Thank God, you asked that. I'm sure the 1GB kit will also work on the DS4 ? I've just ordered it a day ago...

Associate
killer_uk said:
The Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 is working fine on the DS4! :)

Yes, It will do. :)
Great, thanks mate :)
If I had more money I would buy the 2GB kit but I'm on a budget. Would there much performance loss with the 4*512 vs 2*1024 ? Also do you know 'till how far it'll OC? And what about the timings? Again Thanks, now I just gotta wait 'till it arrives. :) :D

Btw, did you replaced the stock thermal grease on the NB and SB?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all - just got all my bits and bobs delivered and started building the new system.

just turned it on - cpu fan spins for a second or 2 then goes off - everything else seems fine. i then turn it off and the fan jumps into life again for a few seconds.

anyone have any ideas? im all upset

i have an inter conroe 2.4 with stock fan + heatsink.

a gigabyte ds4 mobo

enermax 500w liberty psu

2gb geil ddr2. pc 6400 800mhz

and a radeon x1800 xt

no hard drive or cd rom plugged in yet.

i have every power connector i can see plugged in. (is that a bad idea?)
i have 2 atx12vx2 plugs so they are both in.
i also added the extra addon for the atx connector so thats all plugged in.

i have tried it with and without the gfx card and same results.

i assume its not a memory issue as the fan would still continue to spin (i hope) if it was a memory error? i do get a beep - also the powering on of the system seems random sometimes it will sometimes it wont :(

Associate
Servo said:
Try your memory in the other 2 slots, if that fails, try one stick

It could need a bois update.

done and done.

with any combo of ram i get the fan to come on for 2 seconds - stop and thats it - everything else whirls away just not the cpu fan

With no ram its a lot more responsive and goes on / off when ever i press the button and beeps like mad.

so i have to go buy some working ram get it to work - update bios and then use my ram :(

Associate
SOSAGES2 said:
Hi all - just got all my bits and bobs delivered and started building the new system.

just turned it on - cpu fan spins for a second or 2 then goes off - everything else seems fine. i then turn it off and the fan jumps into life again for a few seconds.

anyone have any ideas? im all upset

i have an inter conroe 2.4 with stock fan + heatsink.

a gigabyte ds4 mobo

enermax 500w liberty psu

2gb geil ddr2. pc 6400 800mhz

and a radeon x1800 xt

no hard drive or cd rom plugged in yet.

i have every power connector i can see plugged in. (is that a bad idea?)
i have 2 atx12vx2 plugs so they are both in.
i also added the extra addon for the atx connector so thats all plugged in.

i have tried it with and without the gfx card and same results.

i assume its not a memory issue as the fan would still continue to spin (i hope) if it was a memory error? i do get a beep - also the powering on of the system seems random sometimes it will sometimes it wont :(
Just RMA'd mine for the same thing..... The Gigabyte boards are all crap IMO...

Associate
so do i rma the ram and hope to get working ram

rma the mobo and ask them to update it and send back?

or just sit here with loads of money wasted :)

why oh why dosnt it just work! i will give it another whack

anyone notice in the 10 pages of posts 2+ people saying "this ram works" ?

also whats the cheapest stick of ram i can get for this machine that will 100% work

Last edited:
Associate
bugger :(

well i will send my current ram back and hang around here until a list is made of working ram

can anyone confirm the:
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB5300DC) (MY-034-GL)

works? its on the pdf from gigabyte but anyone actually tried it?

i ordered this new ram - hopefully get it update bios - install orginal 800mhz ram - send 667mhz ram back get refund.

lose 20quid or so due to shipping but - such is life.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know if this really helps anybody, but I've had three 965 based motherboards lately, a DS3, a DS4 and now an Asus P5B.

Now, the two Gigabyte boards I returned for lack of overclocking ability (DS3) or non-working on board audio (DS4) and I'm now running the P5B.

The one constant through all this was the two 512MB sticks of Corsair Value DDR2 667 RAM, (The kit that OCUK sell on here) which never failed to boot any of the boards mentioned and seem happy running at around 800mhz when I've overclocked. They run at stock 5-5-5-15, but run a bit tighter if need be.

Just something to bear in mind vs all of this other RAM that some people seem to be having issues with.

Back
Top Bottom