gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
This thread reads like a nightmare. I was considering conroe on either a ds3 or preferably ds4. But after reading this I've definatley got cold feet.

Anyhow If there are compatibilty issues between m/b / memory etc Overclockers might be wise posting a list of known problems or better still a list of issue free combos

Good luck in sorting things out

Deks

Associate
well my ram should be here thursday im going to try it and then update the bios.

after i get the new ram and it still dosnt work im at a loss.. do i need to buy a new cpu mobo who knows :( could be anything thats wrong.

Associate
Deks said:
This thread reads like a nightmare. I was considering conroe on either a ds3 or preferably ds4. But after reading this I've definatley got cold feet.

Anyhow If there are compatibilty issues between m/b / memory etc Overclockers might be wise posting a list of known problems or better still a list of issue free combos

Good luck in sorting things out

Deks

yes i'm in the same situation, does the latest bios sort out most of the problems or not?

Associate
I wonder how many people have bought DS3, DS4 or any other 965 mobo and had them work out of the box.

I guess I was lucky? Maybe these mobo's were rushed out to meet the launch of conroe and quality control went out the window?

All I can say is that this was the easiest 50%+ overclock ever from my experience.

Not saying I haven't had the fan on, fan off problem. But it was when I pushed too far on the memory, 500 cas 4 at stock volts for example. :eek:

I do feel sorry for all you guys having problems, but it would be good to be able to put the percentage of failures into perspective against the success story's....

Good luck.

Steevo ;)

Associate
SOSAGES2 said:
well my ram should be here thursday im going to try it and then update the bios.

after i get the new ram and it still dosnt work im at a loss.. do i need to buy a new cpu mobo who knows :( could be anything thats wrong.
RMA the mobo, if your symptoms are the same as mine then it's 95% likely to be the mobo!

Associate
Steevo38 said:
I wonder how many people have bought DS3, DS4 or any other 965 mobo and had them work out of the box.

I guess I was lucky? Maybe these mobo's were rushed out to meet the launch of conroe and quality control went out the window?

All I can say is that this was the easiest 50%+ overclock ever from my experience.

Not saying I haven't had the fan on, fan off problem. But it was when I pushed too far on the memory, 500 cas 4 at stock volts for example. :eek:

I do feel sorry for all you guys having problems, but it would be good to be able to put the percentage of failures into perspective against the success story's....

Good luck.

Steevo ;)
Normally I would say that people only really talk in detail about problems and much less likely to hear about the ones that work..... However in this case I think that the majority of the boards are causing problems. Plus it seems to be effecting the whole range DS3, DS4 & DQ6, which means there must be a fundamental design flaw with these boards...."Rushed" is the word that comes to mind!

Associate
Monstermunch said:
Normally I would say that people only really talk in detail about problems and much less likely to hear about the ones that work..... However in this case I think that the majority of the boards are causing problems. Plus it seems to be effecting the whole range DS3, DS4 & DQ6, which means there must be a fundamental design flaw with these boards...."Rushed" is the word that comes to mind!

I hope not so.. I hope it's a rushed bios or something, something that can be fixed...

Associate
i now have two ds4 boards because the one i took back was found not to be faulty, just the usual ram compatibility problem. i've got the second one i bought working now but am a little peterbed. might have to put the spare on an auction sight!!!
my point is if you persevere the ds4 will work and work well, i couldn't be happier with my system now, just don't try to take the board back if it doesn't work!!! lol

Associate
.DevastatioN said:
I hope not so.. I hope it's a rushed bios or something, something that can be fixed...
Well I RMA'd mine and told them I wanted a refund if it didn't work..........Just had an email confirming that they are sending the board back to me?! So I presume it works?????

Only thing I can think of is the bios, as I didn't have another skt775 chip to try in it. I've got the Corsair PC6400C4 ram which is listed as being compatible on the gigabyte website so it can't be that and I tried running the system with just PSU, Mobo, CPU & 1 stick of ram. It just kept re-starting.

Hope the OcUK team managed to flash the bios for me, otherwise i'll be waiting a week or so for a new bios chip from Gigabyte!

Associate
Monstermunch said:
Well I RMA'd mine and told them I wanted a refund if it didn't work..........Just had an email confirming that they are sending the board back to me?! So I presume it works?????

Only thing I can think of is the bios, as I didn't have another skt775 chip to try in it. I've got the Corsair PC6400C4 ram which is listed as being compatible on the gigabyte website so it can't be that and I tried running the system with just PSU, Mobo, CPU & 1 stick of ram. It just kept re-starting.

Hope the OcUK team managed to flash the bios for me, otherwise i'll be waiting a week or so for a new bios chip from Gigabyte!

Hmm, when I was picking all the parts @newegg. I noticed all gigabyte P965 boards said Corsair recommend for Max Performance... That's why I choose a corsair kit.

Has anybody got other problems with this board. Exept for booting? Like overclocking, temps, etc.. ? cons/pros?

Associate
Just built a new system based on DS4, Intel E6600 and Geil 2GB Value kit.

I was a bit worried to say the least after reading this thread but to my suprise and relief the system booted first time, no problems and is very stable.

I have yet to attempt any overclocking as I don't know enough about it but that will come with time. I also need to check that the memory has been detected correctly and the timings are correct (should be 4-4-4-12).
Where do I check this? Is it Ctrl+F1 in bios? What exactly do the numbers represent?

In short the DS4 board should be fine as long as you purchase compatible memory such as the Corsair or Geil. Obviously there will be a handful of genuinely faulty motherboards, its just the luck of the draw.

Associate
hey
has anyone got this ram Corsair 2GB DDR2 Value Select PC4200 Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB) (VS2GBKIT533D2) (MY-096-CS) working with the ds4 mobo, im sick of waiting for a bios update and having 256mb kingston value in my new conreo system is driving me nuts :mad:
this motherboard is making me wish i had just waited for nforce590 or ati RD600

Associate
R3323 said:
hey
has anyone got this ram Corsair 2GB DDR2 Value Select PC4200 Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB) (VS2GBKIT533D2) (MY-096-CS) working with the ds4 mobo, im sick of waiting for a bios update and having 256mb kingston value in my new conreo system is driving me nuts :mad:
this motherboard is making me wish i had just waited for nforce590 or ati RD600
Calm down mate, they'll probably release a fix soon. Have you tried the unofficial bios that was posted here? Also, try to set your timings manually in the bios, save it, reboot. Then shut off before it tries to bootup. Take a single corsair stick in it and and start up your PC again....?

Might just work, I dont know..?

Also, I assume you got this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145527

It says CAS 4, then use the rest on high settings, like 4-5-5-15, should work..

Associate
Associate
WesleyBurns said:
Hi, just seen the new bios on gigabyte's web page, not sure if its been posted yet...

New official BIOS for DQ6 at:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...rboard&ProductID=2295&ProductName=GA-965P-DQ6

New official BIOS for DS4 at:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...rboard&ProductID=2288&ProductName=GA-965P-DS4

New official BIOS for DS3 at:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...rboard&ProductID=2314&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3

Having trouble with the Gigabyte site which bios is it Wesley for the ds4??..

Associate
The F3 DS4 Bios has solved every one of my problems. Don't need any extra voltage anywhere, am running at just over 3ghz at 429fsb, totally rock solid.

Mine is now running like a dream, well impressed!

Back
Top Bottom