gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Just thought of what the problem might be,

Basically when you have an unsuccesful overclock the board will continually reboot before it will post, like the problem we are describing.

Now there is a bug (i think there is anyway) in The Gigabyte Bios that sets the RAM to CAS 3, but this could be unachievable with some RAM like my Corsair XMS-6400 C5 at 667mhz (it states CAS 5). This may cause the board to be unsuccessful in posting as the RAM may not be able to run at 667mhz @ CAS 3. I cant get my board set itself to anyhting other than CAS 3, and dont Intel Conroe Chips automatically set memory to 667mhz??? Mine did anyway...

However with my Geil it can run at CAS 3, so posts no probs. At the moment I am running a DQ6 and have noticed this problem. Dont know if it is whats causing it, but is just a suggestion???

Associate
That sounds very plausable, but this must be on the DS3, likely the DS4 and the DQ6.

Cant see any BIOS fixes that stat this as a problem though.

By default, every motherboard in the world is ment to read the settings from the eeprom from the RAM modules.

Last edited:

Raj

Raj

Associate
Ouch, i was confident in the DS3 working fine after all the threads of people successfully overclocking the E6300 on it. Now im not so sure if i should go Gigabyte, i knew something was wrong when i started thinkin Gigabyte would be good for overclocking :confused:

Any other suggestions for a good overclocking stable board? or will i have to wait for weeks for the nForce 5 boards to come out?

Thanks in advance, Raj

Raj

Raj

Associate
Thats the only saving grace, i was going to place my order for everything today, but now i am thinking i should wait till the new boards come out in a few weeks. Its just really tempting to buy it all now, i wish asus/dfi would come out with some reasonable priced stable overclocking boards.

Raj

Raj

Associate
What do you mean, wouldn't one already have RAM if they were putting a PC together?

I am just pondering if its worth going with the intel 965 board as its liekly to be more stable than the Gigabyte?

Associate
I ment in terms of the Gigabyte supporting more types of memery, ryansm mentioned a possible bug with the BIOS setting the CAS to 3.

My DS4 came today, ill let u all know how the build goes tonight. Im sure my SAMSUNG memory is the memory that they have on the list. The E6700 is comming tomorrow, so an Intel 3.6 661 will be in there for tonight.

Ill also be testing it with my 7950, so that will also answer some questions about a mobo that will work happy with the Nvidia 7950, and support the Conroe.

Till tonight, countdown begins :D Hopefully without memory probs

Last edited:

Raj

Raj

Associate
Goodluck buddy, please report back, im very concered about ordering a Gigabyte motherboard, only ever owned Asus or DFI.

I have also never flashed a BIOS for fear of corrupting it and no POST and then RMA time. If i buy a newly released conroe board im pretty sure i will have to flash the bios as new revisions are released, how easy is it to screw up?

Associate
Raj said:
Goodluck buddy, please report back, im very concered about ordering a Gigabyte motherboard, only ever owned Asus or DFI.

I have also never flashed a BIOS for fear of corrupting it and no POST and then RMA time. If i buy a newly released conroe board im pretty sure i will have to flash the bios as new revisions are released, how easy is it to screw up?

Im a fan of ASUS too, and used DFI for many many years. The ONLY mobo i have ever had go wrong on me was when I updated the BIOSo a junk JETWAY motherboard at work, just told the boss it died ;)

The gigabyte, as do Asus, has a nice utility for updating its bios, its pretty failsafe.

All i can say is the DS4 comes in one swanky looking box, and one sexy mobo :) nice one gigabyte.

Dont worry too much, your biggest concern looks to be getting compatable ram, according to some posts in this thread.

Ill drop a post soon. Meantime, conroe is being loaded onto a delevery truck :D

Last edited:

bee

bee

Associate
Raj said:
Is the gskill NR 6400 stuff compatible? Does anyone know?

apparently not, a gskill rep has replied at xs that theyve found the problem and its the ds3/4 bios.it tries to boot all ddr2 800 cl4 ram at cl3 and 1.8v which is impossible so u'd probably need another stick of ram so you could boot and get into bios and change the settings then switch off and put the gksill in.

Associate
must be the DQ6 aswell...as it happens with my Corsair XMS2-6400. Cheers for that, atleast I know now!

Also, I have tried putting in my geil memory - setting the timings to 5-5-5-15 in the bios and then saving, turning off my computer and popping in my Corsair. Still does not boot as CAS goes back to 3...So think you will really need compatible RAM at the moment.

My Geil is PC8000 though and it posts fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I think i'll have to RMA as I have no means of testing. If they say it's not faulty then I'll return it under distance selling. A pretty crappy board for ram selection if you ask me.

Cries. All I wanted was a system that worked, now I have nothing. :( :( :(

Soldato
I'm going to be using DDR2 667Mhz RAM on my DS4 (I've got 4x 1GB sticks of Kingston Value currently in my I955 system) - so with any kind of luck I'm not going to experience any problems as it appears to only be an issue when using DD2 800Mhz modules.

Associate
Yes there is a problem with these motherboards, DS4 and DS3 and i bet all my money they DQ6.

This DS4 i just got does the same the DS3 does, fan on, fan off, fan on, fan off.

The DS3 i had has a gunk of flux on it and some horrid looking joints on the 775, so i think that can be RMA'd

Except i have Samsung 666Mhz ram. Can anyone tell me what small cheap stick of ram will work on this so i can get in and set the bios straight. Or i just send it back in get an asus. :mad: :mad:

This is extreamly annoying, i have had nothing but problems for 2 weeks now. Im over it!

Back
Top Bottom