gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Raj

Raj

Associate
No one in my house/area/friends has a DDR2 system so im stuck if i do by the Gskill stuff! This is why im getting more and more put off with the idea of getting a Gigabyte board, i think its time to wait for nForce?

Associate
WesleyBurns said:
Yes there is a problem with these motherboards, DS4 and DS3 and i bet all my money they DQ6.

This DS4 i just got does the same the DS3 does, fan on, fan off, fan on, fan off.

The DS3 i had has a gunk of flux on it and some horrid looking joints on the 775, so i think that can be RMA'd

Except i have Samsung 666Mhz ram. Can anyone tell me what small cheap stick of ram will work on this so i can get in and set the bios straight. Or i just send it back in get an asus. :mad: :mad:

This is extreamly annoying, i have had nothing but problems for 2 weeks now. Im over it!

Hey mate,

I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of going to local PC place (open until 20:00hrs) and buying a cheap stick, to see if I can get this pile of junk to post so I can adjust the timings. Anyone else in the same boat? I am running out of money here!

Associate
Dont bother mate,

As I said, even when I tried adjusting my timings with the Geil, and then putting my Corsair back in it still does not post. Just fan on, fan off, fan on, fan off etc...

There seems to also be an issue with the CAS always reverting bact to 3???

Dont know if this will happen on the DS3/4 but thats what it does on my DQ6. I am annoyed at this as I would have liked to use my Corsair but never mind, I was just lucky I had some Geil.

Dont get me wrong, the Gigabyte board is amazing! I love it. But I think I would have been very annoyed aswell if I only had my Corsair.

And No, I am sure that you will be able to RMA it. When you bought the board there was nothing to say that you had to use specific memory etc - hence its faulty! Thats my opinion anyway.

Roll on a BIOS update to fix the probs...however even with this you have to have the computer on first! Its a petty Gigabyte messed up here - Cause I rate it better than My old Asus A8R32-MVP! And remember when that board first came out - there was loads of probs with that too!

Hope that helps...

Soldato
Don't neccessarily assume it is Gigabyte at fault here - there was an issue not so many years ago with a different motherboard manufacturer and a certain make of RAM and it turned out to be the RAM manufacturer using non-standard replies in the SPD data contained on the memory modules.

Even so, whoever is at fault lets hope it gets sorted out soon.

Raj

Raj

Associate
Grrrr, so im putting my order off from today. Not worth risking getting the Gigabyte since it has issues with the RAM i selected.

Geuss i will have to wait like everyone else for NForce to come out and pick up a DFI or just get the aforementioned Asus board.

Associate
??

Hi all today i orderd a Ds4 and G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit.
Will this not work??
I have no other ddr2 ram so i cant put any other ram in to get it working.
I havnt had an email to say the order has been shiped so is there any way i can cancle the ram if its not going to work??

i wish i had seen the post befor ordering :(

thanx for any help

Associate
Im not sure. I would have bought the G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 Ram instead as I have seen others using this successfully.. I belive user The Asgard is using this Ram succesfully.

I still think its to do with RAM being able to support CAS 3, as thats all the motherboard ever sets it too, even when I have set it at CAS 5 in the BIOS. Thats if the DS4 is the same as my DQ6.

The HZ will work at CAS 3, not sure about the NR.

Dont get me wrong, I could be talking rubbish, I aint no pro!

Associate
Hi all,

I have the ram below coming to morrow - will it be ok with the DS4?

Thanks

joojooUK

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-095-CS)
The TWIN2X2048-5400C4 is a 2048 MByte matched pair of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. This part delivers outstanding performance in the latest generation of DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested extensively in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has been verified to operate at 675MHz at the low latencies of 4-4-4-12.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah i called the support line today and he told me it sounded like the problem was the board :( So it's going to be rma'd tommorrow.
Fingers crossed for the next board.Still i hope i can sort out the system so it's just a matter of dropping a e6600 in when they are in stock :D

Thanks for your help

Associate
R3323 said:
Hi all today i orderd a Ds4 and G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit.
Will this not work??
I have no other ddr2 ram so i cant put any other ram in to get it working.
I havnt had an email to say the order has been shiped so is there any way i can cancle the ram if its not going to work??

i wish i had seen the post befor ordering :(

thanx for any help

I'm running the NR on my DQ6 at and they work fine for me!

Associate
Has anyone tried the Ds4 and G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit?
Dose it work?
I have e-mail ocuk to ask if i can cancel if it will not work, so hopefully they will see the e-mail befor they send off my order.

Associate
ryansm said:
PieL - what are your timings on the DQ6? What BIOS version are you on? Cheers

Timings are 4-5-5-15 using the beta BIOS F3a.

These aren't by any means the tightest i could get them its just a nice loose setting while i try and see how far i can raise the fsb.

Associate
Cheers mate, Maybe the F3A Bios will let me slacken my timings as my mobo (DQ6) only sets my CAS at 3. Currently at 3-5-5-15 @ 940Mhz and I cant get any higher!

Have just found the F3A Bios, if this works Ill be well happy! Well also check if my corsair works! Cheers mate!

Associate
Hi all,

I went and bought some cheap ram from pcworld.

PNY 512 PC2-4300 and now the motherboard is alive, albiet at 533mhz ram speed. If i try to add in my samsung ram with it, then it stops working.

Looks like this thing is just super fussy. Im now going to experiement.

Can i ask anyone who get it working with any RAM, to post there RAM set up, and help everyone out.

Ill give the guys at OC UK a call tomorrow.
Some joy, but looks like im going to have to shell out for ram

Associate
guys , is it just 6400 speed ram it has problems with?

im about to order ds3 + G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400 CAS4 will the ram be ok? :confused:

Associate
Dose anyone know it the G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit RAM will work with the Ds4?
I cant afford the G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit, befor anyone recommends that.
Thanx

Back
Top Bottom