gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Press Cntrl + F1 in main BIOS page to get RAM Timings. Glad you got it working mate! PNY memory is pretty good

Looks like it is some PC6400 memory that does not work.

My Corsair XMS2-6400 C5 does not work.

My Geil Value PC8000 is fine

Associate
ryansm said:
Press Cntrl + F1 in main BIOS page to get RAM Timings. Glad you got it working mate! PNY memory is pretty good

Looks like it is some PC6400 memory that does not work.

My Corsair XMS2-6400 C5 does not work.

My Geil Value PC8000 is fine

Spot on mate, im have a look at the ram timings, but tomorrow, i think i just have to shell out for some geil, BUT i will speak to OCUK tomorrow first, no more mistakes can be made :)

Associate
fwiw on xtremesystems the G.Skill tech said that 90% of the G.Skill HZ ram post batch 0605 should work -

"CL3 1.8v for 90% of MT chip is no problem to boot up. however we did find some MT chip for 800 2GBHZ can not boot."

Associate
Are people not geting a beep code to say that the RAM is not working?
If i can im going to change my order to LA RAM just to be on the safe side.
Will there be a big difference in performance with LA compared to NR
thanx

EDIT: sorry im lazy and cant be botherd to put in the full names :D
LA=G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit
NR=G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit

Last edited:
Associate
R3323 said:
Are people not geting a beep code to say that the RAM is not working?
If i can im going to change my order to LA RAM just to be on the safe side.
Will there be a big difference in performance with LA compared to NR
thanx

LA and NR??? Please explain what this is.

Associate
Im also looking to get the Gskill NR RAM and pair it with a DS4 Motherboard and my E6600 (on pre-order).

Ive just been doing some research over at XS and it seems that the main problem with the Gigabyte motherboards is that they revert DDR2-800 memory that is a default of CL4 to CL3 which in some cases means that the memory cannot boot and therefore the system fails.
However the NR RAM is CL5, meaning that in theory it should be ok.
The only worrying thing is that earlier in this thread there was mention of some CL5 Corsair memory not running.

Is there anyone that has successfully booted the DS4 with some NR RAM?

Associate
LordShadow said:
Im also looking to get the Gskill NR RAM and pair it with a DS4 Motherboard and my E6600 (on pre-order).

Ive just been doing some research over at XS and it seems that the main problem with the Gigabyte motherboards is that they revert DDR2-800 memory that is a default of CL4 to CL3 which in some cases means that the memory cannot boot and therefore the system fails.
However the NR RAM is CL5, meaning that in theory it should be ok.
The only worrying thing is that earlier in this thread there was mention of some CL5 Corsair memory not running.

Is there anyone that has successfully booted the DS4 with some NR RAM?

I had this problem with my DQ6 so expect its the same as you mention with the DS4.

The problems now been fixed on the DQ6 with BIOS F3a so i'd expect Gigabyte to fix any similar problem on the DS4 with the next update.

Soldato
Dunno if this is any help, saw it as I was looking round. Looks like there is a G.Skill voltage problem with the DS3, maybe it also applies to the DS4

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109340

G.S Technician said:
ok finally today i have enough of our lab and i personally got a DS3 with F3 bios.
not matter what i set in the bios ctrl+f1 CL4-4-4-12 with FSB 200 and DDR2 800, after i boot into windows it show me CL3. that is very weird. anyways, that is using F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK @ +.2v in bios

then i got a set of F2-6400PHU2-2GBZX and it will not boot up.
that is right, it is not boot up at 2.0v. then i using another ram set as 2.3v 1.8v+.5v and it boot into windows with CL3-4-4-12 again. even with my mannally set to CL4-4-4-12 in bios it still show CL3-4-4-12 in CPUz 1.35

currectly i have no idea which parts is causeing the problem. we are contacting gigabyte to solve it. I am going to test on Asus 965 again

Now i am sure that
F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK is boot up at CL3, even with mannally set to CL4 it changes back to CL3
F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR no problem
F2-6400PHU2-2GBZX and F2-6400PHU2-2GBNS are not working right.

--------------------

DDR2 800 2GBHZ has no problem to boot up auto
DDR2 800 2GBZX has no problem to boot up auto
DDR2 800 2GBNR has no problem to boot up auto

DDR2 800 2GBNS has problem to boot up
DDR2 800 2GBZX has problem to boot up

Last edited:
Associate
Hey again all,

I got some cheapo ram last night, 533mhz, my machine now boots correctly.

The question is do I send back the patriot I have, or wait and hope the bios issue is fixed? Suggestions anyone?

Also my 7950 card appears to work, however how do I know if it is running fully? Is there any way that I can test?

Back
Top Bottom