Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 - Intermitently won't cold boot

Associate
Hello,

I have a 3 month old PC I built which has the following issue: Appears to work fine but about once every 4 weeks it won't start and is completely dead inside - no lights, nothing. It's as if the power supply had failed.

Removing the CMOS battery and shorting the small terminal on the mobo for between a few seconds and a few minutes magically brings everything back to life.... Then the PC will start and work exactly as normal (except the Bios will have been reset) After that it will work fine for a while, then after a few weeks, the same thing will happen again and it will refuse to start.

There's a thread going on the hard forum here:-
https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-master-wont-power-on-temporary-solution.1993194/

with quite a few users with the same problem, people have tried a lot of potential fixes so far (none of which seem to fix it) including:-

- Replacing the CMOS battery
- Switching power off at the wall / isolating the pc when off
- Turning off hibernate / sleep in windows
- Setting the mobo bios switches to use a single bios
- Updating bios's to all sorts of different versions (I'm on F21 currently)
- Replacing display port cables with Vesa certified versions
- Leaving the pc on sleep instead of powering off completely
- Setting ErP to on
- Replacement board from Gigabyte

Does anyone here have any ideas what could be causing this, please?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My system specs:
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
Crucial 4x32mb ram
3 x samsung 970 M2 SSD's
Gigabyte windforce 2080ti GPU
AMD 3950X CPU
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 850W PSU

Last edited:
Associate
I've just posted in another thread my X570 Aorus Xtreme will not behave with a BIOS newer than F22, if I use F30 and/or F31E it introduces random restarts on my PC - nothing seems to fix it and I've tried an exhaustive list (minus changing RAM not got any spare) it could reset after 10 mins or 6 hours - just powers off - then immediately on again as if nothing happened. It has never reached 12 hours without restarting like this. If I put F22 back on it - its rock stable and works perfectly well - even the XMP works great.

Associate
I've just posted in another thread my X570 Aorus Xtreme will not behave with a BIOS newer than F22, if I use F30 and/or F31E it introduces random restarts on my PC - nothing seems to fix it and I've tried an exhaustive list (minus changing RAM not got any spare) it could reset after 10 mins or 6 hours - just powers off - then immediately on again as if nothing happened. It has never reached 12 hours without restarting like this. If I put F22 back on it - its rock stable and works perfectly well - even the XMP works great.

Make sure you install the latest chipset drivers, also if still shutting down unplug front case panel USB connections and front panel sound connections. and then try see if it remains up and running. F31e bios is for ryzen 5000 so if your running a 3000 CPU it might be that.

Associate
Make sure you install the latest chipset drivers, also if still shutting down unplug front case panel USB connections and front panel sound connections. and then try see if it remains up and running. F31e bios is for ryzen 5000 so if your running a 3000 CPU it might be that.

I don't want to derail this thread as its specific to issues with cold booting on the master and this will be my last update here - but I'm investigating a possible idle bug - doing some testing right now on C-states in the BIOS and DRAM auto power down - also playing with Power Supply idle control - I found this below elsewhere

The idle bug afflicting Gen 1 Ryzen CPUs — for which disabling C6 was a workaround — was addressed in AGESA update 1.0.0.2a which was incorporated into pretty-much all BIOS updates by the end of 2018. It exposed a “Power Supply Idle Control” option in the BIOS (located somewhere like Advanced » AMD CBS » Zen Common) which let you switch from the default setting to “Typical”. That solved the problem (freezes and restarts when idle) for the majority of folks. Certainly did for me.

Its possible that this bug sneaked its way back into gigabyte BIOSes F30 and onward, but I will need to test quite a few things before I can say what if anything solves my issues. Also the 3000 series CPU should run fine with newer BIOS updates no worries - could you imagine the problems if you had an install base that could install something that could cause major faults with existing CPUs. If anything it should stabilise performance and iron out flaws as time goes by for older processors.

Associate
I have heard that the cold booting issue can be solved if you make sure that you update the bios to the latest version making sure to also update the backup bios, you can still get issues if you dont update the backup bios at the same time.

Associate
OP
I have the same issue with an X570 Aorus Master. It sucks. I believe it's a hardware issue and there isn't a software / firmware fix, people have tried all sorts of things - the only fix is removing the graphics card, taking out the CMOS battery for a few mins then trying again but it WILL happen again a few weeks later. If your Mobo is still returnable I'd definitely do that while you can and get something else that works properly.

Gigabyte are pretending it's not a known issue. Please sign the petition here: https://secure.avaaz.org/community_petitions/en/gigabyte_technology_gigabyte_x570_aorus_master_poweron_problem/?ekkkKGrb&utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition-1147614-gigabyte_x570_aorus_master_poweron_problem&utm_term=kkKGrb+en

Soldato
A significant minority of people seem to have this problem with Gigabyte boards. If you have revision 1.0 you may want to RMA if they can guarantee you will get the latest revision 1.2. I have revision 1.0 of this board and I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Soldato
A significant minority of people seem to have this problem with Gigabyte boards. If you have revision 1.0 you may want to RMA if they can guarantee you will get the latest revision 1.2. I have revision 1.0 of this board and I hope this doesn't happen to me.
Have they fixed issue with revision 1.2

Soldato
Have they fixed issue with revision 1.2
I'm not sure, Gigabyte aren't very transparent when it comes to revisions. If you ask them I wonder whether they will tell you exactly what they fixed, I think one of the things was adding traces to the board for better memory overclocking.

I do remember they had the same problem with their X370 boards and they claimed to have fixed it with a BIOS update. However, given the issue persists maybe it is a hardware problem or Gigabyte are just useless.

I was wondering, do you have your PC on a lot? Some of these problems are exposed after extended use, I wonder whether my own board will eventually develop this fault.

Soldato
I'm not sure, Gigabyte aren't very transparent when it comes to revisions. If you ask them I wonder whether they will tell you exactly what they fixed, I think one of the things was adding traces to the board for better memory overclocking.

I do remember they had the same problem with their X370 boards and they claimed to have fixed it with a BIOS update. However, given the issue persists maybe it is a hardware problem or Gigabyte are just useless.

I was wondering, do you have your PC on a lot? Some of these problems are exposed after extended use, I wonder whether my own board will eventually develop this fault.
Ive got the elite mate but had looked at swapping for master as updating for daughter but didnt know if was the latest revision or early revision which has this problem

Soldato
Ive got the elite mate but had looked at swapping for master as updating for daughter but didnt know if was the latest revision or early revision which has this problem
All I know is that the 1.2 revision has improvements, memory traces being one of them. However, only Gigabyte know the full list of fixes.

The MSI Tomahawk or the Unify are good and cheaper alternatives if you are worried about this 'soft brick' issue as it's known.

Soldato
All I know is that the 1.2 revision has improvements, memory traces being one of them. However, only Gigabyte know the full list of fixes.

The MSI Tomahawk or the Unify are good and cheaper alternatives if you are worried about this 'soft brick' issue as it's known.
Yeh thanks mate i did look at the unify and the tomahawk

Back
Top Bottom