Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

Associate
This is my first post so welcome everyone. I've bought this monitor last and it was delivered last week.
Backlight bleed isn't that bad, colors are fine and ghosting is also ok but that's all.
Menu and joystick aren't that good. Joystick is pretty noisy and hard to push.
But what's worse is that when g-sync is activated then horrible flickering occurs.
Have a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2VtbPl3h4&feature=emb_logo

What I've tried so far:
- different DP cable of course
- clean install of nvidia drivers even using DDU
- changing freesync range using CRU to 30-144 | 50 - 144 | 80 - 144

Till now nothing helped so I'm open for suggestions ;)

Of course everything is fine when g-sync is disabled.

Yes, unfortunately I've now noticed some g-sync flickering too. So far only in SOTTR, and only in loading screens (and maybe the first part of the benchmark, though I'm not 100% sure.) Thus far it has not appeared when I'm actually playing the game though. I haven't had any flickering problems with anything else I've tried (from memory - MSFS, Control, Elite Dangerous, Dirt 2.0, wolfenstein old blood, deus ex human revolution, nor on 3dmark.)

I tried changing the freesync range and it didn't make any difference for me either - it's 48-144 by default. I also tried reverting to an earlier driver, but again just the same.

I've come from a Dell 2716DG, and the colours and black level on this monitor are a distinct improvement on it. The Dell was also prone to banding in some games and this one isn't. No flickering on the Dell of course, but when operating within the freesync range I find the smoothness of the gsync to be comparable to the Dell's (which has an actual gsync module.)

Agreed re the joystick - its an awkward system, and not helped by the Manual not explaining certain things (such as certain options are greyed out if you've set it to HDR in Windows), but on the basis I should only have to use it rarely it's ok.

For now, and as long as it doesn't start cropping up during actual game play, I'm inclined to live with it as the benefits compared to my previous monitor are greater than the downsides - but if it gets any worse that might change. It's not perfect, but I'm not sure there is such a thing with monitors at the moment!

Associate
This is my first post so welcome everyone. I've bought this monitor last and it was delivered last week.
Backlight bleed isn't that bad, colors are fine and ghosting is also ok but that's all.
Menu and joystick aren't that good. Joystick is pretty noisy and hard to push.
But what's worse is that when g-sync is activated then horrible flickering occurs.
Have a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2VtbPl3h4&feature=emb_logo

What I've tried so far:
- different DP cable of course
- clean install of nvidia drivers even using DDU
- changing freesync range using CRU to 30-144 | 50 - 144 | 80 - 144

Till now nothing helped so I'm open for suggestions ;)

Of course everything is fine when g-sync is disabled.
did you use a vesa certified display cable?
I heard from people who had this flickering issue on a similar Levono monitor (likely same samsung va panel) that using a vesa certidied display cable resolved the flickering.

Associate
I received my g43wqc today from "insert rival retailer" and and can confirm i am getting flickering when g-sync is enabled. The flicker is mainly noticeable during loading screens as others have mentioned but i have noticed it a fair amount in games as well. I will be returning the monitor and saving my pennies for a Acer Predator X34P or the Asus PG349Q. Real shame as the price point is really hard to pass up on.

Associate
I received my g43wqc today from "insert rival retailer" and and can confirm i am getting flickering when g-sync is enabled. The flicker is mainly noticeable during loading screens as others have mentioned but i have noticed it a fair amount in games as well. I will be returning the monitor and saving my pennies for a Acer Predator X34P or the Asus PG349Q. Real shame as the price point is really hard to pass up on.
the monitor is rated for freesync from 48 to 144hz..could it be that where you running it in lower frame/refresh rate? also some people say if you enable gsync in full screen mode only flickering stops (different monitors but likely same panels)

Associate
the monitor is rated for freesync from 48 to 144hz..could it be that where you running it in lower frame/refresh rate? also some people say if you enable gsync in full screen mode only flickering stops (different monitors but likely same panels)

It probably stops because they are running windowed borderless games and g sync isn’t actually on lol

Associate
It's a shame to hear of these flickering problems ... I wonder if it's the monitor or something nvidia can fix with a driver update or what ... I do remember reading on a different thread about an iiyama one that they had to have some firmware update applied to stop flickering (which involved sending them back) ... but that was slightly different as while it was an ultrawide, it was flat and an IPS panel.

Associate
So to address some of your questions.

1. I've used cable that I've received with monitor and other from second monitor (business grade Dell). I don't think that any of those two is certified.
2. I've used G-Sync in fullscreen mode only.
3. Like I've said CSGO 130-141 fps (capped) so I'm not going outside freesync boundaries.

Didn't tried old drivers tbh but it should work on newest right?

Like summing that up we have flickering that never goes away. Maybe some super expensive cable will fix that but who knows. TBH I don't think so and imho it should work with one provided in box but that's the theory.
Also we have backlight bleeding on top left part on most of the panels and clunky joystick and really bad speakers. We can also add lack of usb and frankly even considering price I think that's enough and I'll return.
My old ACER Z271 27" FHD had only one problem.... it was 16:9 and need something 21:9 for work without loosing 144Hz and g-sync for gaming. Other panels cost an arm and a leg so I hoped that this one would be enough and maybe without this flickering but once seen cannot be unseen ;)

Associate

I was running the monitor at 144hz, flickering occurred in both full screen and windowed mode for games. Gsync with full screen only mode also did not help. With gsync turned off the flickering stops.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning i'm using a VESA certified DP 1.4 cable that works perfectly with my other gsync monitor (Acer Predator XB27HU).

I have a 2080ti and the flickering was happening in classic wow and league of legends. I was getting fps way over the max refresh rate of the panel.

Last edited:
Associate
This is from another user who wrote in another forum regarding flickering issue on another similar monitor (same panel), might be worth trying:

'I figured out the issue. Its to do with the bandwidth that the monitor is using - when you turn on Freesync it seems to downgrade the DP version without updating the OSD. If you enable freesync and then manually set the DP mode to 1.2, and then to 1.4, it fixes all of the issues. Havent had screen flickering for nearly a month since doing it'.

Associate
This monitor have such option in OSD. Can someone try that cos I've already packed mine and don't want to unpack it without at least one confirmation.

Associate
This monitor have such option in OSD. Can someone try that cos I've already packed mine and don't want to unpack it without at least one confirmation.

I'm only seeing the flickering to a limited extent anyway as above, so I'm maybe not the right person to check, but I've tried this and it isn't making any difference to what I'm seeing in SOTTR's loading screens etc.

Associate
Got my confirmation too, it's arriving tomorrow.

Will post my thoughts and first impressions coming from a 27" TN.

Fingers crossed no dead/stuck pixels and backlight bleed that's not too bad.
How is it? I've had reports of G-Sync flickering, which would make sense due to it being the same panel that the AOC monitor uses, which was burdened with it too.

Associate
Is G-Sync really necessary if you're playing at 120Hz-144Hz? I thought it's mostly noticeable at lower than 100Hz gaming..

Back
Top Bottom