1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD 770....started sparking (and other weirdness)

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by sbomb, 2 Oct 2009.

1. sbomb

Associate

New system, long story short i tested the motherboard without screwing it into the case, just the psu and motherboard, bam, works, test the cpu and it works. I then screw the motherboard into the case to test the graphics card and nothing happens, cpu fan doesnt move, nor the psu. Take the screws out and it works again. I find this odd, so i try some more screws that came with my case, couple do the same thing, get to a third screw and BAM hear a fizzing and this black thing

Located bottom right, underneath the green thing to the right of the yellow sata ports

[​IMG]

Then a small spark and little flare, so i immediately switch the psu off to a burning smell. Whats more is that my cpu cooler is fastened to the cpu, i managed to remove the two, neither was warm and there are no signs of melting or damage, external at least. I prey that its fine but who knows, i havent got another motherboard handy

So my question is

What the hell?

Regards

2. swanseajack

Wise Guy

You did use brass mountings when you screwed it into your case right?

3. ATIorNvidia

Wise Guy

You most likely shorted something if it worked fine outside of the Case, as someone has said already, did you use the correct screws (standoffs) for your Motherboard?

On a side note, although completely unrelated, my GA-MA770-DS3 (older Model of the UD3) sparked and caught on fire last year :D. I now have a UD3.