• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080ti Problem -do I RMA?

Associate
hi

am sat here with a bad headache, a 2080ti with 2 of it's fans going 100% and the third sat idle. The noise is deafening.

Had the card since early December 2019. Everything has kind of been fine upto now; installed Assassins Creed Origins today and noticed a loud noise coming from PC. Situation was as it is now. Despite MSI Afterburners' fan curve it makes no difference.

My NZXT Cam software is reporting fan rpm as 0 although two of the three fans going crazy fast. Cannot alter or slowdown fans using MSI Afterburner. All I can do is switch off pc and restart it whereby initially it is running kind of normal (still only two fans of three spinning) but at a normal speed. As soon as I start a game the rpm of two of the fans spin up and stay like it.

Am I missing something, is there a simple fix or do I have to RMA the card.

Advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply.

Have panicked a bit and having man flu right now is'nt helping.

I have tried reseating but to no avail. I've now reinstalled drivers as you have suggested but initially no difference but then the third fan on the ti came on, I started up cod mw and all seems good withall fans coninuing to spin without turning into a tornado.

I'm not sure if it has always been like it but afterburner and nzxt cam are showing the card at 300mhz idle - sure it never was as low as that before?!

Cannot thank you enough Blue160 - much appreciate your help.

Edit: After setting up Nvidia Control Panel and then rebooting to attach second monitor now showing 1350mhz.

Will just keep an eye on things but the only thing I did as said is install Assassins Creed which have now uninstalled - could that really have messed with the fan power/control on the gfx card?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well it's doing it again today. Was fine earlier and managed to play Tomb Raider for about half an hour - all fans spinning and normally. Went to play cod and all fine initially then the wind machine started with two of the Gigabytes' card fans spinning full blast with the third by the power connectors idle.

Have re-installed drivers twice but no difference. If I reboot system the two blasting fans go back to normal speed but the third remains stopped. Nzxt cam software is reporting fan at 0rpm. Found that if I start msi Afterburner the two fans will immediately go to 100% and not go down whilst the third fan remains stopped.

May man flu is getting worse as is my frustration. Please help.

Associate
CAM has GPU overclocking and fan curve tuning doesn't it? Running that alongside Afterburner may cause a conflict.

Have you tried it in a "barebones" configuration? GPU driver / Nvidia software only, no Afterburner, no Rivatuner, no NZXT or other software that may be monitoring or controlling anything to do with the GPU?

Associate
OP
Have just tried the barebones method but same thing. I've just rebooted with just the drivers installed and fan still idle with other two running normal. As soon as push my gfx card now the two fans ramps up - don't feel this safe so exit what i'm doing.

I'm really at a loss - when left the pc off overnight it was all fine for about an hour then back to the problem. Why just one fan stopped and not all three? Why is it fine for a bit after switching on and then back to problem? Why has this problem just started?

Associate
OP
Update:

Unfortunately after speaking to Overclockers on the phone I have decided to RMA the card. The last time I rma'd something back to Overclockers was over 10 years ago.

Not sure if it's just down to Gigabyte but have been told I may have to wait upto 28 days for replacement. Very friendly and helpful on the phone.

I hope it all goes well. Thanks for responses and help.

Associate
OP
Update 2:

I ended up returning the card to Overclockers who after some game testing found the same strange fault occurring (one fan stopping to idle whilst the other two fans go hell for leather). The card has been sent onto Gigabyte for repair or replacement. It's a shame that Overclockers were unable to replace it themselves but understand their position. I've heard that Gigabyte have really improved lately with a general turnaround within two weeks of a faulty item - anyone else have recent experience gigabytes repair/replacement service?

Soldato
Update 2:

I ended up returning the card to Overclockers who after some game testing found the same strange fault occurring (one fan stopping to idle whilst the other two fans go hell for leather). The card has been sent onto Gigabyte for repair or replacement. It's a shame that Overclockers were unable to replace it themselves but understand their position. I've heard that Gigabyte have really improved lately with a general turnaround within two weeks of a faulty item - anyone else have recent experience gigabytes repair/replacement service?

repair? interesting. dont think Ive ever had PC hardware repaired, actually dont think Ive ever had any electronics repaired, distributors always replaces for me

Associate
OP
It's a few months old?

I'd have pushed for Oc to replace it. Your warranty is with them for the first year....

It was purchased on 11/12/2019.

I imagined they would replace it themselves. When staff member told me on the phone that it was going to be sent to Gigabyte for repair/replacement I asked him nicely if Overclockers could simply replace it themselves; he told me that he would ask his manager, I then received an email stating it was going off for repair. I presumed because it's a 2080ti it's a bit pricey item to just send a new one out?

Soldato

I imagined they would replace it themselves. When staff member told me on the phone that it was going to be sent to Gigabyte for repair/replacement I asked him nicely if Overclockers could simply replace it themselves; he told me that he would ask his manager, I then received an email stating it was going off for repair. I presumed because it's a 2080ti it's a bit pricey item to just send a new one out?
It doesn't matter what the cost is.

Your warranty is with ocuk... Therfore its their duty to replace it. All they have done is take the liability away from themselves.

I'd personally be calling and asking for an immediate replacement.

Soldato

ah that could be why. To be quite honest in my experience with after sales support it's far easier to deal with distributors than manufacturers - when you're dealing with a distributor supplied electronic component they don't have expertise or tools to repair so everything is replaced on the spot after testing. Where as when you're dealing direct with the manufacturer and sending an rma back to Givabyte directly then they will try to repair it to save cost since they have the tools on hand.

So where I live we have some brands based in the country and some not - the ones are not are supplied through a distributor and these are the ones that are easy to deal with. The ones located in the country and supply themselves are the pain in the ass.

for example, asus is not located in my country, so when my 2080ti failed the local distributor replaced the card on the spot, it took a couple days and I had the new card in hand. But Dyson is located here so when my Dyson 1 month old vacuum died, they insisted they would repair it and I was stuck with a vacuum for 6 weeks

Associate
OP
Have just been told by staff member at OcUK that if item over 30 days old it is sent to the manufacturer. They have as always been helpful and polite. With current health situation around the world I may just have to be a little more patient.

Back
Top Bottom