• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte GPU warranty - what's required?

Associate
So if I was to RMA my card with Gigabyte - what would they require these days? Is serial number enough?

Also can I RMA directly with the manufacturer or do I need to go through the original place of purchase?

Associate
First register the card on the gigabyte website. That is the first step when you talk about warranty with any company, it will be a form that you must fill out. Usually they ask for the serial number and proof of purchase like receipt/invoice.

First year of the card will be with the original place of purchase, so if you have an issue within the first year of purchase you would generally contact the guys you purchased the card from and they would be able to replace it for you after testing it. After the first year the manufacturers will take over as long as the card has more than 1 year warranty.

I had a EVGA 780Ti, card was having issues after i purchased it and i sent it to the place i purchased it from and they replaced it after testing the card themselves. I had extended the 3 years warranty by an additional 5 years when i got the new one and registered it on the EVGA website. 2 years later I opened another RMA when the card started making some coil whine noise which it never made before even when not playing any games. This RMA had to opened with EVGA directly. Sent it to Germany and i got it back within a week or so, they re registered the new card and transferred the same extended warranty automatically. I ordered 2 cards, 1 was fine and 1 didn't seem to like me over the years.

Associate
OP
To make things interesting here is the reply I got from Gigabyte:

There is no warranty on 2nd hand goods bought privately from such sites like E-Bay. Warranty is not transferable and stays with the original owner only. Item would only be accepted for repair attempt only and not replaced if non repairable.

Gigabyte goods should only be bought new from our official UK dealers/sellers only.

This certainly puts things into perspective then buying second hand GPU and talking about warranty..

Associate
OP
I thought their rep said it was done on serial number?

This is exactly what I assumed - not only you won't have warranty but even for repairs you'd need to contact original place of purchase..

EVGA sounds like a much better solution.

Someone should put a spreadsheet together with do's and don'ts for warranties on GPUs I think :)

Soldato
I think you're correct.

It would be useful to have a sticky with warrant info.
We did have a thread that gave in-depth information on warranties such as their terms, RMA centre location and potential turnaround time, but I guess the guy who made it got tired of updating it as it's wiped and locked now.

Associate
if the first thing you tell them is something they say they dont support then they will not allow the RMA.

jsut ask who you bought it off where they got it from and dont mention you never purchased it first.

Associate
I was told in an email to Gigabyte support similar to the above:

"There is no warranty on 2nd hand goods bought privately from such sites like E-Bay. Warranty is not transferable and stays with the original owner only."

It's all great a gigabyte rep saying "technically" we support second owners, but it doesn't help if the actual message you get from Gigabyte support is that if you're a second owner without the original invoice you have a paperweight if they're unable to repair it. They will not replace it in these circumstances.

I just wish Gigabyte were a lot more transparent with their GPU warranty policy as I now think twice about getting a Gigabyte GPU new or used. I wouldn't like the person I could potentially be selling on to having very iffy support.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom